advertisement

Motorhomes

richardg

Admonishtrator
I'm considering one, but totally new to it, so not really sure what's what. I would need internal bicycle storage, shower and bog, sleeps 4-6. I can find this spec quite easily but why are so many of them hideous inside? Why all the fake veneer wood units and 80s patterned fabrics, even on reasonably new ones, please? Is there a practical reason or are they being designed for octogenarians? I can look at a 30-year old one and it looks similar to a new new one inside.

What puts me off with motor homes is

a) not so easy to park when shopping etc
b) expensive to buy, tax and insure
c) not so roomy

... when compared to a pull along caravan that you can tow with your family car.

But if you fancy it, go for it.

I'm considering one, but totally new to it, so not really sure what's what. I would need internal bicycle storage, shower and bog, sleeps 4-6. I can find this spec quite easily but why are so many of them hideous inside? Why all the fake veneer wood units and 80s patterned fabrics, even on reasonably new ones, please? Is there a practical reason or are they being designed for octogenarians? I can look at a 30-year old one and it looks similar to a new new one inside.

SWMBO wants one, with a fücking Goldwing on a trailer. Shoot me now.

The choice of bog type can get complicated. According to

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/hygiene-and-sanitation/sanitation/rv-toilet-buying-guide

there are five types:

Gravity flush – this is the most traditional toilet; tried and tested in RVs for decades. It uses the simplest method of flushing – bowl contents drop directly into a large holding tank – ensuring reliable, straightforward performance. The gravity-flush toilet must be installed directly over the waste holding tank.

Macerating flush – motor-powered blades macerate waste into viscous slurry before the waste goes into a large holding tank. This flushing technology allows the toilet and waste holding tank to be positioned apart from each other. As a result of maceration, holding tank effluent is more fluid. This reduces “mounding” of waste while also making discharge from the tank easier and more thorough.

Vacuum flush – bowl contents are powerfully pulled from the toilet bowl through a stored vacuum vessel and macerating vacuum pump, and then pumped to a large holding tank. Like macerating toilets, this flushing technology also allows the toilet and waste holding tank to be positioned apart from each other. This allows a vacuum toilet to be located virtually anywhere in a motorhome.

Cassette – primarily designed for caravans and campervans, this toilet technology provides a compact toilet bowl that’s permanently installed over a small, removable “cassette-style” waste tank. When flushed, the bowl contents drop directly into the waste tank. When the waste tank is full, it is manually removed through a service door and emptied into a standard toilet or other waste disposal station, then re-installed under the toilet bowl.

Portable – popular in small campervans and also for tent camping, portable toilets are composed of a lightweight plastic toilet bowl and small waste tank. When the tank is full, you remove the lower tank from the upper seat and bowl, empty it into a standard toilet or other waste disposal station, then re-connect it with the toilet bowl.

If you are new to all of this, learning how to clean and maintain whatever type you get is important.

We’re buying a tow-behind next year, and have decided on a cassette. We’ve agreed to a “pee only” rule, and use roadside or campground facilities for solid waste.

My sister has an Adria, 7 point something meters long. Meets all your requirements, about as good as it gets if that’s what you want. I have a VW California. Whenever I go and see her, she looks out onto her drive and wishes she had the Cali. Sling the bikes on the back and don’t carry your own crap around with you.

I know that rental and ownership are different things but when I found myself swept up in a notion of ‘seeing’ America in a motor home I calculated that I could rent a quality car and stay in decent hotels for less - and someone else makes the beds, provides clean towels and cleans the cludge.

Motorhomes of any decent size are expensive, slow and generally inconvenient. At the very least you need bikes of whatever type to get around on or tow a small car behind.

More practical to have a caravan. You will be hated by other drivers whichever you choose.

I know that rental and ownership are different things but when I found myself swept up in a notion of ‘seeing’ America in a motor home I calculated that I could rent a quality car and stay in decent hotels for less - and someone else makes the beds, provides clean towels and cleans the cludge.

Exactly what we do; B&Bs are ridiculously cheap. If pushed i'd put a tent in the boot and S@@t in the woods.

California for 2 persons, and a credit card for occasional hotel.

Has there been a thread about this recently or am I imagining things? My mate retired and bought a £25k job, loved it so much he spent a small fortune and now spends 3-6 months away at a time.

It depends what you want it for, what is your budget, how do you know you like it, how far are you travelling? If it’s for two weeks a year just hire one, can you buy a people carrier and a big tent + gazebo instead, etc?

Wild camping in the wilderness versus 5* in the city, I love 'em both.

Last edited:
Drove a 50 footer from Virginia to Miami back in 2007, great fun, kite surfing every day, a none stop party for a month. Ended up exploding into flames outside of Vegas, faulty brake dryer. I think the company actually made money on the whole thing as it was insured for way over actual market value.

Has there been a thread about this recently or am I imagining things? My mate retired and bought a £25k job, loved it so much he spent a small fortune and now spends 3-6 months away at a time.

It depends what you want it for, what is your budget, how do you know you like it, how far are you travelling? If it’s for two weeks a year just hire one, can you buy a people carrier and a big tent + gazebo instead, etc?

Wild camping in the wilderness versus 5* in the city, I love 'em both.
15-50k seems to be my search range

I grew up in holidays in these as my parents owners a business renting them out.
Brilliant if you use them regularly but if you don't they are an absolute money pit.

I grew up in holidays in these as my parents owners a business renting them out.
Brilliant if you use them regularly but if you don't they are an absolute money pit.
Interestingly last night at dinner, the hosts were talking about renting one and said they were looking at 1000 euros per week. That made the grey matter spring to life.

advertisement

Back