advertisement

Focal Scala Utopia V2

jms1

pfm Member
Has anyone ever heard these alongside the Sopra 2? I’m currently using a pair of Sopras paired with dual REL S/3 SHO and whilst I love the sound this combination makes driven from my Devialet D250, I’m not sure that the 2 x RELs are hitting the domestic sweet spot :).

I’m considering moving on my current speakers and subs for a S/H pair of Scala Utopia V2’s. I’m therefore interested if anyone has heard these, especially in contrast to the Sopras.

As a wildcard I have thought about moving sideways to the Kii 3. However, I can’t see how it would compete on the scale front and the usability of the Devialet with my Roon Nucleus and old Townshend Rock, not to mention integration into my existing 5.1 setup, is superb. Not sure I could be bothered with an Apple remote, Kii controller, additional phono stage and all that faff. Love the concept though.

You would need a phono stage with the Kiis as they don’t have inbuilt RIAA, I use my turntables into the XLR inputs of the Kiis which I set to ‘analogue’.
Roon Nucleus goes into the USB socket on the Kii controller, in terms of sound quality you would have to hear both side by side and decide .
Keith

Hi Keith,

It’s the usability of the Kiis which ultimately puts me off. Roon matched with the Devialet is just so easy and fuss free. The Kii 3s, especially with the BXT modules, clearly work some sonic marvels and are appealing despite the drawbacks.

With any luck she’ll get used to the twin subs :)

What size is your room? The Utopia range is more forward than the Sopras (I’ve heard the largest Sopras and Diablos). The forward nature of the Scalas, brighter tweeter and deeper bass will be a different sounding experience to Sopras that are more ‘earthy’

The Kis are just a pair of speakers and the kii control, you can’t really get more ‘useable’ than that, Kii have just added bluetooth and parametric EQ in the latest firmware update.
Roon is plugged straight into them, in terms of sound quality I haven’t heard anything better.
Keith

The Kis are just a pair of speakers and the kii control, you can’t really get more ‘useable’ than that, Kii have just added bluetooth and parametric EQ in the latest firmware update.
Roon is plugged straight into them, in terms of sound quality I haven’t heard anything better.
Keith

Maybe I’m missing something here, which means I might be dismissing the Kiis unfairly.
(1) For the Kii 3 I understand I would need to buy a phono stage (the D250s possesses a fully configurable phono stage).
(2) I use unity gain mode on my D250 to integrate my main speakers into my 5.1 setup in the lounge. I suspect I’d need to establish a pre-set volume on the Kiis when listening to movies as a work round.
(3) When changing volume I can use my iPad, iPhone or for serious listening the weighted controller for the D250. If I understand correctly I would always need to use an additional IR controller (such as an Apple remote) for the Kii volume, as opposed to controlling via Roon. This also means the Kii controller would need to be in line of sight or otherwise I’d need to add a remote IR repeater if I was to hide it away like my Nucleus and Devialet amp.

You would need a phono stage ,as the Kiis do not have RIAA equalisation at the moment, although I see no reason why it couldn’t be added, Kii have just added Bluetooth compatibility and parametric EQ filters.
The Kiis have preset filters so you could set one to be your unity gain, you can use Roon to adjust volume or the Kii Control or a traditional preamp.
Plus of course, cardioid response, completely full range, sophisticated boundary, tone , and Eq filters, virtual point source ability to adjust each speaker individually etc etc etc.
Keith

What size is your room? The Utopia range is more forward than the Sopras (I’ve heard the largest Sopras and Diablos). The forward nature of the Scalas, brighter tweeter and deeper bass will be a different sounding experience to Sopras that are more ‘earthy’

Thanks for the feedback on the Utopias. Room measurements are a bit difficult as they are operating in an open plan/ asymmetric room layout. They’re roughly 3m apart with no sidewalls close by and 40cm out from the rear wall. With the current set up there is no wall behind the listening position, as the sound is firing into a room/void behind which is the kitchen. The speakers appear to operate and breathe well in their surroundings.

In my experience there is something special about the treble when it's produced by a well designed Be tweeter. There's an ease along with superb definition. It's quite unique IME.

I've had Scala Utopia's hooked up to a Devialet 250 in here many moons ago. Far too much of a good thing and far,far from a match made in heaven.
Forward+Forward = Tiring.
Scala's took a massive turn for the better when I replaced the Devialet with a warm sounding Luxman (L-509u)

Would love to hear the Scala's on the end of my current setup. Sounding spectacular tonight though regardless. At this rate I'll be glued here till sunrise.

Keep enjoying the music all!!

Has anyone ever heard these alongside the Sopra 2? I’m currently using a pair of Sopras paired with dual REL S/3 SHO and whilst I love the sound this combination makes driven from my Devialet D250, I’m not sure that the 2 x RELs are hitting the domestic sweet spot :).

I’m considering moving on my current speakers and subs for a S/H pair of Scala Utopia V2’s. I’m therefore interested if anyone has heard these, especially in contrast to the Sopras.

As a wildcard I have thought about moving sideways to the Kii 3. However, I can’t see how it would compete on the scale front and the usability of the Devialet with my Roon Nucleus and old Townshend Rock, not to mention integration into my existing 5.1 setup, is superb. Not sure I could be bothered with an Apple remote, Kii controller, additional phono stage and all that faff. Love the concept though.

How are subs configured with the D250 please?

Btw, we had the Kii 3's here and as good as they are however the difference of adding even a single JL Audio e110 subwoofer to the Kii 3's is simply profound.

Fwiw, one of clients preferred Devialet D200/Sopra 2's paired with dual JL Audio Fathom f110 v2 subwoofers to a Kii 3 system. Here a few pics of his system with the JL Audio's working up to 80Hz -

32384019_1506494332810856_1723904545815265280_o.jpg

32488090_1506494046144218_5105772854226452480_o.jpg

32607543_1506494619477494_2485030260278558720_o.jpg

Interesting to see the Sopras paired with the JL subs and hear that the Kiis still benefitted from a sub.
I’m using the twin RELs connected via the high level speaker outputs. Difficult to determine My crossover frequency as the dial range is 30-120Hz. Judging by the physical setting I estimate it’s probably somewhere near 60Hz.

Unlike the setup above my subs are ‘outboard‘ since the speakers flank the main AV cabinet. I was extremely impressed with the Sopras but the 2 x subs have elevated the performance to a whole new level. Just have a couple of extra boxes to look at.

You don’t need a sub with the Kiis, they are completely ‘full-range’.
Kii make their own sub modules the BXT 16x6’” drivers , which I have here , but unless your room is really large or you play incredibly loudly you don’t need them.
The BXT can be switched off and on from the Kii Control so comparisons are very straightforward.
Keith

Interesting Rik’s comment about the Kiis needing a sub. That was my experience when I heard them in a moderately sized room. The situation was improved when The bass module was added but of course that makes them very expensive. They’re a decent enough speaker but I’ve auditioned much better in the past year!

Interesting to see the Sopras paired with the JL subs and hear that the Kiis still benefitted from a sub.
I’m using the twin RELs connected via the high level speaker outputs. Difficult to determine My crossover frequency as the dial range is 30-120Hz. Judging by the physical setting I estimate it’s probably somewhere near 60Hz.

Unlike the setup above my subs are ‘outboard‘ since the speakers flank the main AV cabinet. I was extremely impressed with the Sopras but the 2 x subs have elevated the performance to a whole new level. Just have a couple of extra boxes to look at.

Thanks for your reply.

Have you used the high/low pass settings on the D250 please or just the crossover dial on the subs please?

Thanks again.

Unless i am mistaken then i take it the mains are receiving a full range signal from the D200.

advertisement

Back