advertisement

Bristol Show 2020

I've a vague recollection of reading somewhere that at last years show Friday was actually the busiest.

Last time I went to the Bristol show was about 2012. Is it still as busy? I fondly remember queuing up outside and it being fairly quiet early Saturday but heaving and often hard to get a seat in the afternoon

To those that go to this show regularly what sort of music do the exhibitors tend to play? When I used to go to shows (15 years ago now) I got fed up of hearing female vocalists with a guitar or some light jazz number blaring out so I stopped going. Nothing against those genres by the way, but I don't think they really test a system in the way I would want to hear. I remember asking for various tracks to be played and got a snotty look from some exhibitors whereas others would oblige, but you had to hang around for ages for them to do so. And then of course the rooms in these hotels aren't ideal. I guess what I am saying is I would like to go, but....

This is one of the reasons I did not go last year. It grinds my gears to no end having to hear this music. For one, it’s just not music I would ever listen to, and also I don’t believe it let’s you know how the speaker sounds. This music is far too polished and far too easy for a system to sound good on.

The guys in the Audio Note room stuck on some Rage Against the Machine whilst I was in the room... Loved it! My best experience at the show as I got to hear music I love. If only I could afford Audio Note gear...

I suppose the value of the show is largely determined by your expectations.

To me the show is first and foremost just a day out, albeit a longish one starting before 6:00am and not ending until around midnight. I enjoy the odd train journey.

Next it is a social occasion. It's good to meet and chat to people I know... some in the business and others just fellow hi fi nuts.

Finally it is a chance to keep an eye on what's happening in audio. I'm not looking to change my system much.. but always interested in what's new.

What it isn't.. is a serious chance to audition kit. With the exception of headphones.. it is IMHO a serious mistake to choose anything significant without trying it in your own room and in the context of your own system.

I've just noticed that a three-day ticket costs a couple of quid more than a one-day and two-day bought together....!

I've not been to a hifi show for about 30 years so may try to get to Bristol.
I seem to remember queueing up outside some bland hotel near Heathrow in the snow surrounded by a bunch of slightly grubby-looking old men who came armed with carrier bags to hold all the brochures they could stuff in alongside their ham sandwiches neatly wrapped in tin foil and a flowery thermos their mums must have bought with green shield stamps. Inside the building things were a lot better and the one demo I remember was playing a Buddy Holly track and then an Eddy Louis's CD (Sang Mele). I bought both.
I'm kind of hoping that things have improved queue-wise.
I'm also hoping I've not turned into one of the above mentioned...

Last years event was my first ever hifi show, no probs at all with the music, heard Stevie Ray Vaughn in two different rooms. Went on the Saturday so it was busy but not packed, still got to see everything I wanted to. One piece of advice, I didn't buy an advance ticket which was a good move as the queue at the door for advance ticket holders was much longer and slower moving than the queue for those of us paying at the door.

Last time I went to the Bristol show was about 2012. Is it still as busy? I fondly remember queuing up outside and it being fairly quiet early Saturday but heaving and often hard to get a seat in the afternoon

yes , took me 2 years to get into the bowers and wilkins room !!

yes , took me 2 years to get into the bowers and wilkins room !!

I walked into their room at Cranage, and walked out about 5 minutes later. The sound, to my ears, was dreadful - bright and ‘shouty’. I can’t remember the speakers, but they were floorstanding ones with diamond tweeters.

Haven't been to a show for a few years so might go along to see if the wheel is still being reinvented..... ;)

But seriously, I miss my Rega P9 and I'm temped by the new Planar 10 so will probably go for a good look, and to lobby Rega (again) to give us some better MMs!

"steveinspain, I seem to remember queueing up outside some bland hotel near Heathrow in the snow surrounded by a bunch of slightly grubby-looking old men who came armed with carrier bags".

I was at Ascot and it was mostly men aged around 40 -50 and as i looked down the queue, i could see a steady stream of bald patched men wearing tweed jackets with patches on the elbows.

I haven't got a tweed jacket yet, but the bald patch is taking shape nicely, with desperate need for some Alpecin shampoo.

I just hope the carrier bag can take the weight of all those brochures.

The show I used to go to at Heathrow was called the Penta but it was aways held in mid September so no snow, think I went from 1988 to 1993. Parked at the airport and they ran shuttle buses for free.
I'm sure Hi-Fi News ran it, there was a free ticket on the front of the previous months issue you had to cut out. I used to take home lots of plastic bags full of brochures and also some records and CD's.
So I was 27 to 32 back then, but nearly 59 now. No bald patch yet and I have never worn a tweed jacket with patches. But I did take my own sandwiches because the food was too expensive for me in the hotel.
How I used to love the day out though ......
Oh and I bought a copy of Eddy Louis's CD Sang Mele too, must give it a spin again.

I'm grateful to have any hair! As for the show I liken it to a child at a sweet shop, lots of toys in lots of small rooms. It can be quite social as its all small spaces and easy to talk about stuff. I never feel comfortable with listening to the music as I don't think the facility is designed for that. The bars for food drink and alcohol are well catered for and there is a nice outside balcony and decking with hot pies and places to sit and so an opportunity for a nice weekend in Bristol which is a lovely city although suffocating with a lot of construction.

advertisement

Back