advertisement

Bristol Show 2020

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
Just booked rail tickets from Flat Cap and Clog Capital that is Wigan... to the Straw Hat and Smock Capital that is Bressol.. for the 2020 show.

Anyone else planning to go? 21-23 Feb.

Think I might go this year - first time since 2013. And I didn't miss a show between 1988 and 2013!
I used to combine it with a morning trip round the record and CD shops but couldn't find any of the ones I used to frequent like Revolver and Fopp last time I was in Bristol. Only saw Rough Trade.

Lots of new names listed but good to see so many names still exhibiting from my first show in 1988.

Good to see all the love..

I will be going on the Friday.. with my much wealthier buddy.

I'm hoping the chaos around Temple Meads might be finally over.

We usually end up in a very noisy 'studenty' pub near the station for a couple of scoops and an average pizza or whatever.. before the train home.

It's an early start for us at about 06:00 to get to Wigan North Western Station ( I mean.. we joke about Wigan.. but ffs.. we don't live there...) and we finally get home Round Midnight.. slightly after Sonny Rollins...

I’m going on the Friday. First time in over 20 years. Taking the opportunity to catch up with some family and old friends as well.

To those that go to this show regularly what sort of music do the exhibitors tend to play? When I used to go to shows (15 years ago now) I got fed up of hearing female vocalists with a guitar or some light jazz number blaring out so I stopped going. Nothing against those genres by the way, but I don't think they really test a system in the way I would want to hear. I remember asking for various tracks to be played and got a snotty look from some exhibitors whereas others would oblige, but you had to hang around for ages for them to do so. And then of course the rooms in these hotels aren't ideal. I guess what I am saying is I would like to go, but....

the Straw Hat and Smock Capital that is Bressol..

Stovepipe, please.
OIP.A_OET6R0SQQhlBSJ5zI2kwAAAA

To those that go to this show regularly what sort of music do the exhibitors tend to play? When I used to go to shows (15 years ago now) I got fed up of hearing female vocalists with a guitar or some light jazz number blaring out so I stopped going. Nothing against those genres by the way, but I don't think they really test a system in the way I would want to hear. I remember asking for various tracks to be played and got a snotty look from some exhibitors whereas others would oblige, but you had to hang around for ages for them to do so. And then of course the rooms in these hotels aren't ideal. I guess what I am saying is I would like to go, but....
More and more using streaming or file servers, which limits the options for 'bring your own' but most will, in my experience, try to play requests, particularly if the room isn't too busy. Exhibitors do tend to be wary of playing Wagner, Rammstein or Ornette Coleman due to its room-emptying properties, but I have had people play The Bad Plus at my request, before now.

More and more using streaming or file servers, which limits the options for 'bring your own' but most will, in my experience, try to play requests, particularly if the room isn't too busy. Exhibitors do tend to be wary of playing Wagner, Rammstein or Ornette Coleman due to its room-emptying properties, but I have had people play The Bad Plus at my request, before now.

Thanks for the reply, I may take a punt and give it a visit. I wonder if they'd like some Romanian hard house ;)

I quite fancy going to The Bristol show this year, though it is a long trek for a one day visit.

As S P-T says, many have gone over to using streaming at shows (despite the fact in usually sounds very average and can be quite temperamental) - I guess you take some music on a USB stick. However, some demonstrators have become a bit reluctant to play requests as the choices that people bring with them are often ‘unpopular’ choices in the wider context.

advertisement

Back