advertisement

Poll : Next Labour Leader.

Who would you like as next leader of the L.P.

• Lisa Nandy

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Keir Starmer

Votes: 88 50.3%
  • Jess Phillips

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • Angela Rayner

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Rebecca Long-Bailey

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Emily Thornberry

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 35 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy Hills,presenter of The Last Leg,can see through B,J's bull s..t and take the p..s out of him,only currency bullies understand.

If things are to progress anything and anyone in the Corbyn camp must be removed as this was a massive factor in the loss

preview-6210455-1200x630-99-1508149182.jpg

Rebuild the red wall

Long-Bailey is impossible to listen to for more than a few minutes, she has about the same charismatic qualities as a nervous dalek. BJ would laugh his ass off every time she was on the other side of the dispatch box.

It'll be interesting to see if Labour go with the same sort of excuses that were bandied about on why they've lost so much support and put another unelectable candidate in place, or if they instead decide that they'd like to be an electable party again.

They will recover to some extent (and possibly a large extent) post Brexit for various reasons - not least they'll have removed the difficulty from trying to defends lots of seats that were pro-remain, as well as loads of seats that were pro-leave. Not picking a side obviously didn't work, as they lost the votes anyway, but I can't see all those northern seats that went Tory staying that way for long. One downside of that is that even another generally unpopular momentum candidate is going to improve Labour's situation at the next GE (which they'd most likely still lose if that was the case), so it could take another couple of defeats before sense is seen.

It's sounding very much like Len and Momentum would prefer to paint a new face on 'the project' and as they have control of the party, it's hard to see anyone other than RLB being acceptable to them. I think it's a considerable challenge to be honest, their 'base' may be economically left leaning, but culturally many of them a very right wing indeed.

Perhaps like the Tories, if their base has a new priority - they need to re-think who they are trying to appeal to.

Since the election I’ve been mostly listening to music while avoiding news and pfm, so forgive me if I miss points or repeat other points already made.

It seem obvious that it was perceptions of Corbyn, rather than his policies, that led to the catastrophe on Thursday. I supported Corbyn for his policies so for me what the candidates say about policy is more important about how they look. However, looks are important. One of the lessons of this election is that you can be a liar and fundamental integrity free zone, so long as you look cute doing it. Corbyn’s failure was down to not being prepared to met challenges to him head on and aggressively. That said, the challenges to him were unrelenting and in large part smears and lies.

All of which leaves us looking for a leader who is easier on the eye and ear so as not to attract the media avalanche in the first place and either aggressive enough to bat challenges into the stands or charming enough to melt them.

That said, I’ve not seen enough of the candidates to form a solid opinion, but early impressions are:

Nandy. Sounds very direct, clear and focussed. She has a voice and an appearance that you want to listen to even before you’ve heard what she is saying.

Starmer. I’ve never been sure where his political heart is. Is he someone with ideas of his own he wants to take forward? Or is he better suited to a cabinet position battling for someone else?

Philips. A very good talker, and a very impressive MP. But as a national leader, possibly too divisive

Rayner. I like Rayner, love the way she took on Farage on QT. She called out the lying bullshitter for what he was. However, I have also seen her out of her depth when not on top of her brief. She got over it by talking aggressively, but the gaps were there. In the long run, I wonder if she would come across as too aggressive and allow the Daily Mail et al to demonise her as some sort of harridan.

Long Bailey. A bit Starmerish

Thornberry. She has a good voting record, but there have been too many occasion where she appears to be speaking to a focus group, rather than speaking from her heart

At this stage, Nandy gets my vote

T
Since the election I’ve been mostly listening to music while avoiding news and pfm, so forgive me if I miss points or repeat other points already made.

It seem obvious that it was perceptions of Corbyn, rather than his policies, that led to the catastrophe on Thursday. I supported Corbyn for his policies so for me what the candidates say about policy is more important about how they look. However, looks are important. One of the lessons of this election is that you can be a liar and fundamental integrity free zone, so long as you look cute doing it. Corbyn’s failure was down to not being prepared to met challenges to him head on and aggressively. That said, the challenges to him were unrelenting and in large part smears and lies.

All of which leaves us looking for a leader who is easier on the eye and ear so as not to attract the media avalanche in the first place and either aggressive enough to bat challenges into the stands or charming enough to melt them.

That said, I’ve not seen enough of the candidates to form a solid opinion, but early impressions are:

Nandy. Sounds very direct, clear and focussed. She has a voice and an appearance that you want to listen to even before you’ve heard what she is saying.

Starmer. I’ve never been sure where his political heart is. Is he someone with ideas of his own he wants to take forward? Or is he better suited to a cabinet position battling for someone else?

Philips. A very good talker, and a very impressive MP. But as a national leader, possibly too divisive

Rayner. I like Rayner, love the way she took on Farage on QT. She called out the lying bullshitter for what he was. However, I have also seen her out of her depth when not on top of her brief. She got over it by talking aggressively, but the gaps were there. In the long run, I wonder if she would come across as too aggressive and allow the Daily Mail et al to demonise her as some sort of harridan.

Long Bailey. A bit Starmerish

Thornberry. She has a good voting record, but there have been too many occasion where she appears to be speaking to a focus group, rather than speaking from her heart

That's a neat summary and like you I find myself drawn to nandy. This happened over many debates over the last two years, I would get drawn in only to be reminded she was a leaver which put me off. Now that is over I can return to supporting her. She's gutsy and comes across as very genuine and committed. Hopefully there is more to come from her.

Others have made the case for holding on to starmer in one form or another for his grasp of detail and forensic take downs of bullshitters. It's always good to have a lawyer or two on hand.

My worry about her and about many of the choices is that they are career politicians. Politics as a job.

She did a Law degree and went straight into politics. Their view of the lives of their voters is all theoretical...something they read about during their degree.

Their views always look fine on paper....very right on and proper but I can't help feeling that they no nowt really.

Career politics has become a growing thing, especially in Labours case. I remain to be convinced that it is a good thing.

My worry about her and about many of the choices is that they are career politicians. Politics as a job.

She did a Law degree and went straight into politics. Their view of the lives of their voters is all theoretical...something they read about during their degree.

Their views always look fine on paper....very right on and proper but I can't help feeling that they no nowt really.

Career politics has become a growing thing, especially in Labours case. I remain to be convinced that it is a good thing.
I don't know if any of Johnson's or Rees moggs experiences chime with the common man other than their strange tendency for deference - being told to do stuff by posh blokes. It's kill or cure, seemingly the latter, and in some most surprising areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back