advertisement

Do You Keep old receipts for Hifi you buy?

I still have my receipt for the purchase of a Rogers Ravensbourne amplifier in 1969. It cost £64 and I got an £8 staff discount off of that as I was an apprentice engineer with the company. The interesting thing is the receipt for payment was signed across a 2 pence postage stamp stuck to the receipt. I still have the amp in the loft.

Still got all the receipts for what I still own.

The stamp on the receipt still seems to be in force in some places - I had one on a receipt for a yoga course in Italy this summer.

Started buying real hifi in the early eighties, an LP12 from KJ Leisuresound in central London, then a year or two later a lot more from Graham's Hifi in Islington. In those days I was a student living at home, getting a grant and able to claim income support in the holidays (yes really!). Later in the decade I was either unemployed or not earning enough to to have much to spend on luxuries like audio equipment. All the receipts from the eighties have disappeared.
My earliest are 1994. I had the Cirkus, a new motor for the LP12 and a K18 stylus in June, followed by Naim amps (42.5/110) and Linn Saras in November. The total for everything (including a few albums, Naim mm boards and NAC5 cable) was about £1400. Jesus! That was a lot of money in those days. Come to think of it, it still is. The Linn and Naim amps lasted till the early 00s so I made good use of them.

Yes, I keep all my receipts for hi-fi and other household appliances. I staple them inside the instruction manual which then goes into my filing system. I have separate files for hi-fi, TVs & rdios, phones, watches and other household appliances. It's not that I'm obsessive or have OCD or anything like that you understand. Oh no!

I do that as well. Instructions and receipts for each item.

After my father passed away I was going through his things and found the receipts and some manuals of all the cameras he bought from the 1950s onwards. So at least I know where I got it from.

For AN products, i think they subtlety change the specs over time for the same product so the buyers always want to know the year. i can find out from the serial number but it means having to call AN etc

I´m a disaster with receipts but I do have one from the late 70s for my rega Planar 3 with s-tube arm from Sid XXXXXXX in Mansfield whose name escapes me and also one, a couple of years later, for my Suggie A48II from a place in Liverpool which, I believe, later became Brady´s. Both of these were brought out here to the Canaries - the Rega is now in Bilbao.
Anyway, I don´t like receipts because they remind me that i was once a fair bit better off than I am now as are a fair few, I imagine.

No

All my HiFi is second hand

How does anyone afford new stuff?

Mike
My Bryston amps gave a fully transferable 20 year warranty, so a second or third owner can still benefit. Unfortunately I bought them almost 20 years ago now, so the warranty is almost over.

Good Evening All,

Yes I have receipts for all my stuff including the pre-used stuff I've bought off recognised dealers. I guess it is only the recent purchase of items via this very forum that I don't have a 'proper' receipt/ invoice for but there is enough electronic evidence...........

You should see our 4 drawer filing cabinet - Kate was as bad as me.......... we have receipts/ invoices for literally everything!!

Regards

Richard

I have some. Oldest I have was for my LP12, bought in 1980 for a paltry £340, and with a note saying I’d requested the dealer (Unilet in South Ken.) to fit my existing SME arm to it.

Mick
I tried, without success, to find the receipt for my LP12 the other day, following some discussion of the price on another forum. I got mine in the early 80s, complete with Basik arm and cartridge, for about £230. I'd gone to audition a RP3 and an AR turntable, and wasn't wholly convinced by either. One was about £180, the other £190. The dealer suggested I listen to the Linn, though it was out of my price range. I listened for a few minutes, and decided that it was the one. I can't believe that I'd have paid more than £30 over my intended price.

I tried, without success, to find the receipt for my LP12 the other day, following some discussion of the price on another forum. I got mine in the early 80s, complete with Basik arm and cartridge, for about £230. I'd gone to audition a RP3 and an AR turntable, and wasn't wholly convinced by either. One was about £180, the other £190. The dealer suggested I listen to the Linn, though it was out of my price range. I listened for a few minutes, and decided that it was the one. I can't believe that I'd have paid more than £30 over my intended price.

Must have been second hand if there was only a £30 or so difference from a Planar 3! As I recall the LP12 was always at least twice the price of a Planar 3, and that was without an arm.

Maybe I was stitched up then! Definitely August ‘80, and definitely £340...

Must have been second hand if there was only a £30 or so difference from a Planar 3! As I recall the LP12 was always at least twice the price of a Planar 3, and that was without an arm.
No, brand new, and a special order, as my wife insisted on a black fluted plinth. I must be misremembering. I've never been any good with numbers. But I just can't believe that I'd have ended up paying over £300, when I went out to spent £180 - 200. And a £50 difference would have been a big jump in those days.

When Rega launched their 'new' arm in the mid 80's I bought a Planar 3 and at the time an LP12 with a Basik arm was about twice the price.

As a footnote, my other half thought the LP12 sounded better (compared back to back with the same cartridge on each deck) but I didn't think it sounded significantly better and as an earlier poster mentioned, an extra £200 was a lot of money.

I’m sure someone will have some old magazines knocking around to check (I have a fair number from the 50-70s, but no longer anything from the ‘80s).

I certainly remember shopping around to replace my Lenco 75 in the early ‘80s as all the magazines told me it was dreadful. It wasn’t, but I ended up with a new Ariston RD80 with the naff Linn Basik LVV arm that cost over £200 as I recall. I *really* wanted an LP12, but it was way, way more cash. The £340 mentioned above rings true, and that was without arm. I just knew I couldn’t stretch to that at the time so compromised with the RD80, which despite being expensive was clearly built down to a price. The real annoyance is I could have bought a mint TD-124, 301 or whatever for a fraction of the RD80s price as the market was flooded with them for around £40 a throw! Sadly I just didn’t know what I was doing back then!

I keep a record of everything i buy...got most of the receipts..helps you remember what you had, who you dealt with.
If the experience was good, tend to go back if a dealer.

Having fished out my HiFi receipts, I see that my LP12 cost £294.40 from Grahams (then Pentonville Road) in 1980. I had the Rega (Acos) arm added for a further £29.42! Blimey, those were the days!

I have some. Oldest I have was for my LP12, bought in 1980 for a paltry £340, and with a note saying I’d requested the dealer (Unilet in South Ken.) to fit my existing SME arm to it.

Mick
I wish I could find the receipt for my LP12. I've got it in my head that it cost around £230 with Basik arm and cartridge in 1982, but posts like yours suggest I spent £100 more. I'd been auditioning a RP3 and an AR, but found both of them wanting. Bill, of Audio Projects, said "it's outside your budget, but give this a listen". We did. About two tracks in my in-house accountant said "what the hell are you messing around for, get this one".
I can't believe that she would have sanctioned such expenditure. She clearly changed over the years, although she seems to be changing back now she's retired. Our kettle broke down last week, and she's replaced it with a Dualit Classic.

advertisement

Back