advertisement

Do You Keep old receipts for Hifi you buy?

mercalia

pfm Member
I was having a clean out and looked at the old paper work for bits I still have. Monitor Audio R852MD speakers 1987. Wow that makes it 32 years old. I didnt realise it was that old or I had had it that long. I feel old.

I have some. Oldest I have was for my LP12, bought in 1980 for a paltry £340, and with a note saying I’d requested the dealer (Unilet in South Ken.) to fit my existing SME arm to it.

Mick

Keep receipts for everything; not just hifi. Still got some from the early seventies. Did jettison some furniture receipts for my first of five houses in '75. That was a wrench ! I'm an inveterate hoarder and bank/cr.c'd statements are all in my loft somewhere.

Only thing I've thrown away are hundreds of old hifi mag's going back to the sixties; simply couldn't transport the lot 175 miles on our penultimate move 18 yeas ago. Pity !

Apart from my speakers I've never bought any new Hi-Fi that I can think of.

I'm terrible with receipts, I bought two cheap picture frames from Wilko the other day but got them home and they were just slightly the wrong size, between Wilko and home the receipt was gone so they're in the spare room of doom with the rest of the crap.

I buy my picture frames in charity shops. Sometimes they come with free art. I have a blue period Picasso in the hallway, I didn't plan to keep it but it looked nice so I thought "why not?". Sadly not an original but it's been admired by more than one visitor.

I find the easiest way not to lose the receipt is to keep it in the box. It can be helpful to have the receipt if you ever try to sell the item.

It makes sense to keep receipts for any equipment you still own in case you need to claim on insurance. I have a tidy-up every 3rd blue-moon & dispose of any paperwork for equipment I no longer own. In one case when I sold a piece of kit the buyer wanted the receipt as it was still covered by warranty.

I too keep receipts in the relevant product's box. I bought a Nytech from a chap in the late 90s, in fact 2 Nytechs, one with the active XO and a second amp, and they came with receipts and even a hefty repair receipt from 1981. I sold the second amp to Nytech Revival or similar on here, with the receipts.

A quicksearch showd up a receipt from
84 Charing Cross Road - Covent Garden Records
for a Meridian 204 CD Player for £449
I think the receipt is more historic than the CD player. Covent Garden Records were a destination when visiting London from the sticks.
Date 11/2/89

The old ones I could find had faded to unreadable blank pieces of paper (I keep my gear quite a while!).

These days, if you're selling something reasonably pricey, buyers expect it.

When I sold my Harbeth CL7s, the buyer (quite reasonably) expected it, and when I sold my SME last week I made a point of finding it and passing it on for provenance's sake.

Yes, I keep all my receipts for hi-fi and other household appliances. I staple them inside the instruction manual which then goes into my filing system. I have separate files for hi-fi, TVs & rdios, phones, watches and other household appliances. It's not that I'm obsessive or have OCD or anything like that you understand. Oh no!

A quicksearch showd up a receipt from
84 Charing Cross Road - Covent Garden Records
for a Meridian 204 CD Player for £449
I think the receipt is more historic than the CD player. Covent Garden Records were a destination when visiting London from the sticks.
Date 11/2/89

I bought a laserdisc player there in ‘94, plus a fair few laserdiscs over the years until they closed.

Mick

Occasionally find the odd ones, £60 for a pair of Tannoy 12" Monitor Gold drivers and crossovers bought new in 1973. Even have the original packing.........wish I was more orderly!!!!

I found out I had the receipt for my Nak CR3 taped to the case. It says, 'Consultant discount £250'. What was that about? Ah, remember now, I hade helped the dealer designing a demo room!

No, I don't keep receipts but I do keep the packaging, boxes, manuals and accessories and often wonder why others don't when I see an item forsale with no boxes or packaging.

Yes, I keep all my receipts for hi-fi and other household appliances. I staple them inside the instruction manual which then goes into my filing system. I have separate files for hi-fi, TVs & rdios, phones, watches and other household appliances. It's not that I'm obsessive or have OCD or anything like that you understand. Oh no!

No OCD tendencies there at all Mike! . To be honest that all makes sense if you ever need to claim on a warranty. But the original prices are often no good if you bought second hand and need to replace new for old. Some vintage kit costs more to replace now than it cost originally

Therefore, I don’t religiously keep Hifi receipts but I did recently stumble across the receipt for my first ever proper system in 1980 - a Pioneer rack system with AR18 speakers. I have a couple of receipts for my s/h LP12 in the late 80s, an Ittok and a Linn Sara tweeter replacement.

I’ve just bought a Sansui TU 919 from a fine fishie on here that not only has the original box, packaging and manuals but also a receipt from Holland dating back to 1981. It mentions 799 of something - Guess it was Guilders. Must see if I can find a relevant exchange rate for back in the day

Would that be in order of purchase, ie date order, or name of product ?

advertisement

Back