advertisement

Things to do in York with kids?

gary1064

pfm Member
I'll soon be taking my two girls (12 and 8) for a 3 day break in York. I've not been since I was a kid myself so seeking some advice on things to do. Looking online it seems there's loads of choice, I doubt we'll have time for everything. I think essentials are the Jorvik centre, Minster and the Shambles. Beyond these there are numerous museums, the dungeon, the walls, ruins, gardens, the river, you get the picture! We'll be going in half-term so I guess wherever we go it'll be busy. Any ideas on what's good to do? Not looking to cram it all in, would prefer to select just a few quality places, so any tips from those in the know would be appreciated.

Oh, and let's not forget Dad. What are the good (child friendly) pubs where I can get a proper real ale?

Thanks in advance!

You have to do the Jorvik museum. In full smell-o-vision! Gets busy so if you can book ahead it is advisable.

A walk around the walls is great and free, followed by tea at Bettys. Usually a queue for upstairs but you can skip it if you do not mind being downstairs. There are plenty of olde worlde pubs to go to. All I think are child friendly. They have to be these days.

The open top bus tour is good too.

As someone said the railway museum is first class. Kids love huge machines. And the cafe is pretty good too.

Kids may not appreciate the Minster as such but as usual with these places the underground crypts are much more interesting.

And there is a hifi shop in Gillygate too.

Kids need context. So, e.g., the Railway Museum is terrific, but only if your kids know what 'trains' are like now, and how they were in a much more interesing past.

Betty's is not my cup of tea....

Walls . good.

Many pubs.

Jorvik is expensive and the glorified 'Roller Coaster' ride is far too short. No doubt York has Viking history but then so does half of Britain and the York experience just struck me as Disneyland with Horned Helmets ( which Vikings apparrently never wore anyway..

Cynical? Moi?

It's a nice city, but it is suffering from the inevitable 'cashing in'. Just enjoy it in your own way.

Sorry to hijack, but the national coal mining museum is not too far from York (about 20 miles) just outside of Wakefield. Have any fishes visited ? I'm thinking of taking my daughter next time we're in Yorkshire. Grandfather and uncles on my dad's side were miners in Pontefract so there's a distant family connection.

Thanks for all the replies so far, and Andrew I look forward to your suggestions. I think I'll add the Railway Museum to the itinerary.

Sorry to hijack, but the national coal mining museum is not too far from York (about 20 miles) just outside of Wakefield. Have any fishes visited ? I'm thinking of taking my daughter next time we're in Yorkshire. Grandfather and uncles on my dad's side were miners in Pontefract so there's a distant family connection.

Yes, I've taken my girls to the mining museum, I thoroughly recommend it. All the tour guides are ex-miners and they are very knowledgeable. Our underground guide was nicknamed "Kebab" having been impaled on a metal spike in a mining accident. To be honest it sounded like a tall story but the guy was such a character we didn't mind, and it could have been true. Going deep underground in an old fashioned pit cage was an experience. Go for it!

Sorry to hijack, but the national coal mining museum is not too far from York (about 20 miles) just outside of Wakefield. Have any fishes visited ? .
No, but I understand that it's very good. It's near me, I live in Leeds.

. Our underground guide was nicknamed "Kebab" having been impaled on a metal spike in a mining accident.
I believe him. You forget just how bloody dangerous places like that were in the days before "bloody health and safety". My father was a miner and his father before him, the difference was that after a couple of years mine decided that there were better ways of earning a living. In 2 years as a maintenance tech he was nearly electrocuted, had a roof fall on him and avoided death because the stone fell on a machine. He was trapped and bruised but unhurt. He was on site for a couple of deaths and got out.

Jeez I wonder what kind of kids I missed out on...my daughter moaned like hell going round the train museum. Actually any museum, come to think of it. But she will happily spend all day at the maze.

Jeez I wonder what kind of kids I missed out on...my daughter moaned like hell going round the train museum. Actually any museum, come to think of it. But she will happily spend all day at the maze.

Perhaps trains are more of a boy thing ?

advertisement

Back