advertisement

Sri Lanka

Mmm, I saw that. It's on RT as well. Spent some time yesterday Googling info about Brentan Tarrant, who has been charged with the Christchurch murders. Couldn't find anything about him being religious, or a Catholic. Maybe it's in the manifesto he posted.

I suspect its a simple ‘he killed Muslims therefore we kill Christians’ level of thinking from people who’s IQ likely isn’t above room temperature.

It's also far right activists like brevik and many others in us who have an axe to grind . The vast majority of Buddhists and Muslims are peace loving God fearing folk who go about their business with no problems . It's wrong to blame just religion
I agree. Most religious people are peaceful people with a strong moral compass.
Not all religious people are extremists with an axe to grind, we need to remember this.

Shouting hate at all religion is no better than those who follow & hate those who don't.

Not all religious people are extremists with an axe to grind, we need to remember this.

Shouting hate at all religion is no better than those who follow & hate those who don't.
That’s a bit like asking people if they are racists. They all say no despite their often inherent dislike of other races and religions.
Religion often incites hatred.
I’ve been with moderate Hindus and Jews who spout hatred towards Muslims. Moderate Christian neighbours who openly discuss their fear of ‘Asian’ neighbours moving in and moderate Muslims who hate Christians and Jews.
Foreigners are ok if they’re working to save your life in the NHS or doing jobs that no white English man would do. Neither race nor religion come into it then.

Agreed. My current interest is Metaphysics, which is hardly simplistic, 'science' is a subsection though its method is not much discussed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysics

I am at the moment struggling with Ibn al-'Arabi's Islamic ideas, which anticipated Hegel by quite a few centuries.

so you're saying islam is the root of really bad ideas?

Not at all, these ideas come from an existential viewpoint which is different to the scientific model. Ibn al-'Arabi's thoughts came from an expansion of Greek ideas forming the basis of a relatively peaceful empire in the 13th century.

Not at all, these ideas come from an existential viewpoint which is different to the scientific model. Ibn al-'Arabi's thoughts came from an expansion of Greek ideas forming the basis of a relatively peaceful empire in the 13th century.

it was a hegel joke ;-)

One can see the incredible beauty in Islamic art in mosques in Istanbul etc and also Christian art in rome etc inspired through love for God

In 2017 I helped set up a new office and team in Colombo and have visited Sri Lanka on a number of occasions. Thankfully, none of our 300+ staff were affected by the bombings. It is quite scary however, when you know you have stayed at, or eaten at, many of the hotels which were bombed. Last time I went to Colombo, I stayed at the Kingsbury and ate in the restaurant several times. Seeing the pictures of the window blown out is particularly disturbing. The sad thing is the potentially devastating impact this will have on business in Sri Lanka for many years to come.

The lasting damage to tourism etc will be because they were tipped off and did nothing ! The large hotels in particular might as well close half their rooms for a few years.

I suspect its a simple ‘he killed Muslims therefore we kill Christians’ level of thinking from people who’s IQ likely isn’t above room temperature.
According to the reports I saw today, many of the suicide bombers were reasonably well educated (degrees in law, etc.).

According to the reports I saw today, many of the suicide bombers were reasonably well educated (degrees in law, etc.).
Yes. It's dangerous to assume that people capable of such acts must necessarily be stupid.

For example, I believe that most of the perpetrators of this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-43629706

were also university educated (IT graduates and the like).

Then you've got yer high-ranking Nazis listening to Schubert while they pondered the "final solution".

Again: it's dangerous to assume that racists and violent fanatics are stupid.

Reactions: PsB
That amazed me. I will never understand religion.

The way I see it, is the only way you will understand "religion" is if you get in touch with the spiritual part of yourself. That is, if you believe you have a spiritual component.
I'm not saying you do or don't, you have to decide...

Brian

The 9-11 hijackers too had a similar membership. The common thread is rich shallow people with almost zero knowledge of a religion getting brainwashed by a charismatic and warped "preacher".

^^ Really poor people are too busy struggling to survive to want to kill themselves and others. Young educated middle class people, perhaps without jobs, are vulnerable to brainwashing.
I don't think spirituality is the same as organised religion at all. In fact for some it is almost the opposite.

advertisement

Back