advertisement

Sri Lanka

Seems most likely to me that believers in one fantasy decided to have a go at believers in another fantasy. All such a bloody waste.

The Guardian reports Sri Lankan authorities were warned two weeks ago about the planned attacks and were given the names of suspects. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...death-toll-from-bombings-rises-sharply-to-290

Cabinet spokesman Rajitha Senaratne said "The intelligence memo warning about the attacks had named the radical islamist group National Thowheeth Jama’ath as the perpetrators. National Thowheeth Jama’ath is a newly formed radical islamist group in Sri Lanka who are strong proponents of the global jihadist movement. They are known for being a virulently anti-Buddhist and have been linked to the vandalisation of Buddhist statues, with four of their members arrested in January.

"However, he emphasised that the prime minister, Ranil Wickremesinghe, and his cabinet had not been privy to the warnings about possible attacks because they were not invited to the national security council meetings, which are led by Sri Lankan president, Maithripala Sirisena."

It is mentioned that the bomb attacks might have been part of a coup attempt.

Jack

Unforgivable. Over 300 dead and it should have been prevented.

The vast majority of Sri Lankan Muslims have been keeping their heads down and keeping out of the Buddhist vs Tamil violence for decades (They and the Christians are negligible minorities). There is a strong Buddhist only movement there these days, so the whole thing is looking very strange. Very odd that the prime minister had been sidelined.

The vast majority of Sri Lankan Muslims have been keeping their heads down and keeping out of the Buddhist vs Tamil violence for decades (They and the Christians are negligible minorities). There is a strong Buddhist only movement there these days, so the whole thing is looking very strange. Very odd that the prime minister had been sidelined.

A small shitty wheel inside the big shitty Bush/Trump wheel...

Religion is crap but is just another club / gang. How do you stop people wanting to be part of and feel protected by club / gang mentality.

It's also far right activists like brevik and many others in us who have an axe to grind . The vast majority of Buddhists and Muslims are peace loving God fearing folk who go about their business with no problems . It's wrong to blame just religion

Religion is crap but is just another club / gang. How do you stop people wanting to be part of and feel protected by club / gang mentality.

At least a million people have died because of religious wars in the last 20 years: is that a gang/club ?
If Johnny and Ezra and Mohammed are friends at school, aged 6, it starts to break the cycle of ignorance and fear.

At least a million people have died because of religious wars in the last 20 years: is that a gang/club ?
If Johnny and Ezra and Mohammed are friends at school, aged 6, it starts to break the cycle of ignorance and fear.
Yes. Just a big one.

Never a truer word said.
I went to a very small, very international, primary school - around 100 pupils and close to 70 nationalities. At lunch all the kids were divided according to whether they ate anything, no meat, no beef, no pork. The Muslim kids sat with the Jewish ones, no one cared; none of us likely knew the difference. We spent afternoons and weekends in and out of each others’ homes, and religion never came into it. Those friendships are enduring, and still today some decades on, one of the Israeli Jewish kids in the class (not to be confused with the European Jewish ones) remains firm friends with a devout [Syrian] Muslim (they were maids of honour at each other’s weddings), egged along by a Hindu, and some American/European tag-alongs. We all live in different countries these days, remain in regular contact, and all have a fairly open view on things.
That I recall, the only violence at the school was when an Iraqi driver came to blows with an Iranian one after one of them nicked the other’s parking space. And that needed up in backslapping laughs...

Never a truer word said.
I went to a very small, very international, primary school - around 100 pupils and close to 70 nationalities. At lunch all the kids were divided according to whether they ate anything, no meat, no beef, no pork. The Muslim kids sat with the Jewish ones, no one cared; none of us likely knew the difference. We spent afternoons and weekends in and out of each others’ homes, and religion never came into it. Those friendships are enduring, and still today some decades on, one of the Israeli Jewish kids in the class (not to be confused with the European Jewish ones) remains firm friends with a devout [Syrian] Muslim (they were maids of honour at each other’s weddings), egged along by a Hindu, and some American/European tag-alongs. We all live in different countries these days, remain in regular contact, and all have a fairly open view on things.
That I recall, the only violence at the school was when an Iraqi driver came to blows with an Iranian one after one of them nicked the other’s parking space. And that needed up in backslapping laughs...
Sadly my kids attended a school in Hull that was very mixed in religion and race but the divide started at the school gates, although it was more racial than religious I think. 25 in the class, 12 white Caucasian ones, couple of Chinese, Indian, Middle eastern and maybe 7 Africans. Those of you with kids may remember that for the first few parties you invite the whole class. That's what happened for my 2 kids anyway. But not many any African kids turned up to our daughter's parties, even though 2 of them ended up being her close friends. Maybe these kinds of parties are a bit awkward for them, I know I hate them, but we also did not get invites from all of them either.

It was the parents' fault and not much the school could do about it.

It's also far right activists like brevik and many others in us who have an axe to grind . The vast majority of Buddhists and Muslims are peace loving God fearing folk who go about their business with no problems . It's wrong to blame just religion

One out of 2. Buddhists do not believe in God per se.

Kids aren't aware enough to discriminate on grounds of colour.. much less religion. However, I don't think many people grow up without religious indoctrination and then suddenly decide... 'Oh.. I'll become a...' (insert religion of your choice..)
A few do. but 'penny numbers' I think.
It comes back to the bottom line that most recruits to most religions are effectvely 'conscripted' at birth. It is this indoctrination which continues the cycle. I'm happy to agree that most people in most religions are just trying to live peaceful lives, but, those who wish to propagate extremism and hatred are clever at appealing to the idea of the 'true believer' and use this to frighten, blackmail or hoodwink the gullible into joining in the carnage.

And while all of this continues, nobody, anywhere, in any organised religion, cult, or whatever, has ever.. in the history of mankind, produced a single shred of evidence to prove the existence of their gods, or any associated stuff.

But the fantasy is one thing.. the real world is another..

Some religions have allowed their more loony assertions to be quietly dropped in the face of unassailable logic or scientific discovery/progress. Some continue with beliefs about the real World which are clearly insane.

It is all deeply depressing. We have quite enough reasons to go to war with each other as we commence the battle for space, clean water/air/resources etc., as we destroy our World.

We really don't need fairy tales on top.

It would be interesting to find out how many adherents or conscripts to the major World religions truly believe what they are urged to repeat.
In S/SE Asia probably a very large majority and of course the biggest death toll was due to un-religion from Pol Pot and Mao

Simply awful. Having traveled to Sri Lanka on several occasions I just can't get my head around the devastation that the amazing people are having to endure. This type of conflict should have been snubbed out when the civil war ended. To see it return - albeit under different circumstances - is very hard to observe. Truly gutted for the people and the country.

Sky are reporting that this act of Islamist mass murder was a “retaliation” against the white supremacist/fascist act of mass murder in NZ. Cyclic.

Sky are reporting that this act of Islamist mass murder was a “retaliation” against the white supremacist/fascist act of mass murder in NZ. Cyclic.

Mmm, I saw that. It's on RT as well. Spent some time yesterday Googling info about Brentan Tarrant, who has been charged with the Christchurch murders. Couldn't find anything about him being religious, or a Catholic. Maybe it's in the manifesto he posted.

Jack

advertisement

Back