advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+6)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good idea, but I wonder how many Brexiters will take any notice? Can't have these facts getting in the way. You've gotta have faith.

End the Crazy Hideous Age Of Stupid

Listening to Jenkin today say that JLR’s concerns was just them ‘making it up’ I think you’re right.

Stephen

Last edited:
Of course I don't. This government is utterly useless.

Worse than that, I also think that May is duplicitous, so I suspect that I think they are useless for not quite the same reason as you do.

BJ wrote an article for the Barclays this morning in which he once again, quite rightly, castigated Chequers. May has come back and said that it is Chequers or 'hard Brexit', that's the choice.

This is of course cobblers. She could go for Canada or Norway/EEA/EFTA, but she wants Chequers because it effectively represents remaining in the EU, and remaining has always been her intention. I think we're all being played for fools.
EV’s and Liam Fiox’s vision for post-Brexit ‘Britain’-

The chances of a deal are still not looking good. This is what you call a high-stakes gamble...

"The British government will have to experience its “darkest hour” and stare into the abyss of a no-deal Brexit before it will cave in to Brussels demands, senior EU diplomats have predicted.

“A lot of movement is needed by the UK side before we can actually reach agreement”, said one senior diplomat. “We need a substantial change in the UK red lines still.”
A second EU diplomat added: “It seems that the UK needs to have a ‘darkest hour’ moment before they will shift position. But they will have to shift their position.”" https://www.theguardian.com/politic...est-hour-in-brexit-talks-before-giving-ground

And what happens if Johnson and Mogg and Co try to push us into the abyss at the last minute? They already see Chequers as unacceptable.

I think we’re heading for the daddy of all Brexit’s- the accidental/ unplanned Brexit. Woopsee!!

2a91r35.jpg

Interesting article from AAV:

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.com/2018/09/when-it-comes-to-democratic-reselection.html

Essentially he sees both the votes (forthcoming at the party conference) on a "second referendum" and the vote on democratic reselection of Labour MPs as tests of Corbyn's stated desire to democratise the Labour Party.

The votes would definitely help Corbyn to democratize the Party. If the 2nd Referendum motion fails, it will cripple us in dealing with the final Brexit agreement and I will return to voting Green.

AAV has a good eye for its importance: "A vote in favour of Labour supporting a second referendum would surely force Jeremy Corbyn to adapt his method of opposing Tory Brexit from parliamentary opposition (if you look at the actual parliamentary records, Labour have opposed the Tories on practically every single Brexit vote) to officially backing a second referendum on the final Brexit agreement."

Democratic reselection meanwhile is such an obviously good idea. Britain, and especially England, likes to trumpet on about being the home of democracy. The reality is it judders with monopolistic power grabbers.

Jack

Democratic reselection meanwhile is such an obviously good idea. Britain, and especially England, likes to trumpet on about being the home of democracy. The reality is it judders with monopolistic power grabbers.

Jack
This. I have said for a long time that one problem with politics these days is the calibre of candidates we get to choose from. Chosen, for the most part, by well-meaning Rotary/Golf clubby types and other pillars of the community.

A quote to ponder:

Film-maker John Akomfrah: "If you'd asked me two years ago, I'd have said there are causes for optimism. Now, we've got Brexit and the elephant in the room for most people of colour is it's a vote about outsiders. (It's as if) our visibility and our work for half a century hasn't meant anything. My life has meant nothing to my fellow citizens."

A quote to ponder:

Film-maker John Akomfrah: "If you'd asked me two years ago, I'd have said there are causes for optimism. Now, we've got Brexit and the elephant in the room for most people of colour is it's a vote about outsiders. (It's as if) our visibility and our work for half a century hasn't meant anything. My life has meant nothing to my fellow citizens."
Nail on the head.

BMW know what's coming, probably been briefed by Berlin...

BMW to shut Mini factory for a month after Brexit day
https://news.sky.com/story/bmw-to-s...a-month-after-brexit-day-sky-sources-11501360

Shutting down for April. At least.

"April is the cruellest month..." and all that. Will The Waste Land be an omen of what awaits Britain?
Gerry is punishing us. Take back control of the factory. Make Mini British again. Off with their heads!!! Good Queen Bess would have sorted them.etc etc

Just watched Cable's Conference speech. Didn't expect fire, brimstone, passion or tubthumping from the old geezer and wasn't disappointed.. ;)

His analysis of most of what's wrong with this country under the Tories and why, was pretty spot on.

His idea that Brexit is a disaster and must be stopped is certainly right IME and his analysis of the state of the Tories re: Brexit was excellent.

Many of his policy proposals on the economy and social justice made sense and were not far way from my own views.

Sadly, he chose to attack both Corbyn and Labour in almost DM fashion. This was both inaccurate and stupid. Cable must know that whatever he says now, his attempt to take the cenrtre is too little too late. He had that chance and blew it.

Cable should be looking to find common ground between Lib Dems and Labour, to defeat the common enemy. He is going about that totally the wrong way.

The woman who said this couldn’t have been more than 50 herself.

Bunch of opportunist ex-pats cashing in on the fact that they aren't quite as poor as the natives. 'In the land of the blind. the one eyed man is king' sort of thing.

As for the 'fifty years ago' quote. Yep, very easily cracked code that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back