advertisement

Classifieds - for contributing members only?

Whaleblue

Southbound
A thought occurs that the classifieds should only be available to those actively contributing to the site (and the traffic that pays Tony's bills). No idea if it's technically feasible to put an "n posts in the last m months" limit on?

There seem to be quite a few sellers with 50, 60 , 70 posts who have been members for years.

OK, I post too much (possibly this thread included), but it does seem to be a bit of a piss take.

Equally though, more classifieds bring more traffic so this is also good, once the newbie has the done the requisite time and number of posts to prove their bonafides.
It`s a matter of balance surely but it seems about right to me at the moment.

There should be an annual fee option enabling you to post ads in the classifieds for that year.

I'd be happy with it, it'd help Tony keep a great site going.

A thought occurs that the classifieds should only be available to those actively contributing to the site (and the traffic that pays Tony's bills). No idea if it's technically feasible to put an "n posts in the last m months" limit on?

There seem to be quite a few sellers with 50, 60 , 70 posts who have been members for years.

OK, I post too much (possibly this thread included), but it does seem to be a bit of a piss take.

Why? Just because someone posts a lot, doesnt mean he (or dare I say - she) necessarily adds value to discussions. In fact I see that only too frequently on many fora.
I spend more time on PFM (and the Steve Hoffman forum) simply because the quality of discussions tends to be better than the constant nonsensical banter on many other fora

I follow PFM all the time - almost daily - but only pipe in when I actually have something to say.

Frankly - I see absolutely no benefit to PFM from your suggestion
If the objective is to minimise potential fraudulent or painful transactions through the classifieds then the paid up member option or the current 50 post minimum rule is a better solution.
Classifieds can drive a lot of traffic to these fora

Equally though, more classifieds bring more traffic so this is also good, once the newbie has the done the requisite time and number of posts to prove their bonafides.
It`s a matter of balance surely but it seems about right to me at the moment.

Why? Just because someone posts a lot, doesnt mean he (or dare I say - she) necessarily adds value to discussions. In fact I see that only too frequently on many fora.
I spend more time on PFM (and the Steve Hoffman forum) simply because the quality of discussions tends to be better than the constant nonsensical banter on many other fora

I follow PFM all the time - almost daily - but only pipe in when I actually have something to say.

Frankly - I see absolutely no benefit to PFM from your suggestion
If the objective is to minimise potential fraudulent or painful transactions through the classifieds then the paid up member option or the current 50 post minimum rule is a better solution.
Classifieds can drive a lot of traffic to these fora

Fair points. Enough said then.

Some people read the forum everyday but don't post that often! I love reading but don't feel I have much to contribute yet! I'm sure there are many more in s similar situation. Surely the minimum post rule is pretty fair to all?

Seems fine as it is , I would not want to feel bound to make extra posts to make a quota , like others I can go for ages without posting if I do not find something I wish to comment on .
The classifieds bought me to pfm initially so it is a good thing to have and seems to work well

Read the forum every day, just don't have a great deal to add as I am not box swapping or updating at the moment.

I agree with the 50 post rule.

Used to go on a forum where " ooh that's nice " was often the norm, no real input to the discussion.

I am a new member to pfm, and while I love it and log on most days to read stuff, I am now very selective with my posts because of the trolls. Perhaps if the qualification was 50 civilised posts more people would contribute

Some people read the forum everyday but don't post that often! I love reading but don't feel I have much to contribute yet! I'm sure there are many more in s similar situation. Surely the minimum post rule is pretty fair to all?

Agree absolutely. I joined because of a particular classified ad. I enjoy reading PFM topics that I have an interest in - but unless I have something to say that has not already been said - I don't think I'd be adding anything so I keep quiet (except for now that is!).

The classifieds are both a service for users and a benefit to the forum. The 50 posts and some time threshold is to try and deter bogus sellers. Seems reasonable. I don't think a more stringent threshold would do anything other than deter good people who don't talk crap much.

And if you start charging for ads then it becomes more difficult to hold to a caveat emptor, at your own risk, service to the members type of environment.

Paul

I consider 50 posts and three months membership perfectly sufficient to gain access to the room, though whether that is sufficient for someone to wish to enter into a transaction is entirely up to them. The point of the 50+ posts is both to deter scammers and to provide some body of content that can be reviewed by the other party in the transaction, i.e. think of it as an online CV.

None of this has anything whatsoever to do with financing the site, it is just a facility provided for members. If folk like it/the site there is a donate button on the menu-bar, but it is entirely optional. I have no plans to charge for classifieds at this point, though if browser ad-blocking becomes so epidemic it really starts to strangle the site's revenue stream then I would consider sticking an annual fee on the classifieds area or copy WigWam's 'paid up member thing', but that is a long way off yet. I prefer keeping the content free and making my living through advertising, record sales and donations.

Guilty of using an add blocker, but I do try and donate yearly if I'm not buying many CDs.

It's a credit to you Tony that you don't in any way push the donation aspect ( but maybe you should?)

It's a great forum and long may it last in its current form.

SJB

I always use an ad blocker, but when I sold a few items recently I made a small donation.

On another forum I'm more active on, those members who want to can make a regular payment of £1 per month to cover server costs etc. It doesn't mark you as a "paid up" member though, which I like. I'd be happy to do that here in order to keep costs down.

advertisement

Back