advertisement

Dedicated mains spur

Mains can have such a huge effect.

I knew this ! - but forgot it until the work we had done around 2003
I was going to change my beloved Isobariks !

Miles happier today, just had an hours undisturbed listening and the difference is really impressive. Soundstage is a lot more open, bass much tighter but the big difference is the detail, it has really improved the tweeter it's as though I have a new set of speakers. I've had plenty of upgrades done on my equipment before and the difference now is like I have just spent £1000 well worth the few hundred pounds outlay.

I experienced the same improvements Axis. A lot of dealers and manufactures refer to hifi forums as "no man's land" because of all the bad and conflicting advise that is posted. But the dedicated mains supply is one of the better recommendations IMO. Enjoy!

Can't do a dedicated mains spur because I live in a rented house and can't do these kinds of mods.

Having to run everything off a socket on the 30A ring main via a 6 way plug board. Rubbish, I know.

Does anyone have any suggestions on improving things with out costing a fortune?

Can't do a dedicated mains spur because I live in a rented house and can't do these kinds of mods.

Having to run everything off a socket on the 30A ring main via a 6 way plug board. Rubbish, I know.

Does anyone have any suggestions on improving things with out costing a fortune?

You could look at a switchless wall socket to plug the 6 way into. Also before moving from one to two dedicated supplies (with 2 sockets each) I made a star wired (mains and earth) 5 way mains block. It improved the system sound quality. There are a few commercially available including the very good but expensive Heretic. LinnTroika (Brian) a PFM member runs one off his house ring main. You could PM him regarding his opinion of it. He's is a friendly guy...

Thanks for the ideas. Could definitely replace the twin wall outlet on the ring main for switchless.

Could also make up a 6 way switchless plug board from 3 X twin switchless wall sockets and boxes mounted on a board, and solder all the screw terminals.

I guess I could use some heavy duty cable for the extension lead. Is it acceptable to use heavy duty twin and earth for this or could this be a hazard because of its non flexible nature? Maybe I should use 3 lengths of 13A flex in parallel and cable tie them together to maintain flexibility.

I wouldn't solder anything and the star configuration within the block really works. A good shielded mains lead for the block would get my vote rather than your idea. Something like an Atlas Eos is good. They sell for around 80 quid second hand on eBay. Good luck.

I wouldn't solder anything and the star configuration within the block really works. A good shielded mains lead for the block would get my vote rather than your idea. Something like an Atlas Eos is good. They sell for around 80 quid second hand on eBay. Good luck.

Some say soldering has sonic advantages. Just wondered why you advise not to? Just interested.

Thanks for the advise on the cable. I would need about 7m since the mains sockets are on the other side of the room in my rented house. Don't think I can afford the Atlas Eos. Need something cheap off the shelf or make something. A few years ago I made some 1m cables as recommended here:

http://imageevent.com/sidandcoke/sidsposhpowercord?p=17&n=1&m=30&c=3&l=0&w=2&s=0&z=2#album

I wonder if the same design would be worth doing with 3 X 10m lengths of heavier cable?

I also run everything off the lounge main ring, via a hydra-like arrangement. It's boxed-up: a disused small DPA dac case, earthed, with cable glands in the back panel for incoming and outgoing cables; internal terminations arranged insulated standoff board ( fixed with nylon screws). 2.5mm sq incoming flex a metre long, currently five outgoing. The outgoing flex leads are standard moulded '10A' Volex IEC cables, because they're good enough, and the IEC plugs give a very tight fit (- and it's the usu. sloppy iec fit that is IMO 99% of whats wrong with 'mains cables'). Standard 13A fuse in the mains plug.

It's good enough. I put more effort into the PSUs in the gear in the first place that going further/different makes no difference.

The difference this has made is truly amazing, the best value for money upgrade you could ever have. Phenominal

advertisement

Back