advertisement

Vintage test equipment: help and advise sort

ducatiman

pfm Member
I have quite by accident meet a charming 97 yr old gentleman who used too work closely Sir John logie Baird .....true really.... anyway this guy is very very frail and wishes to dispose of all this Equipment, he would rather it all goes too real enthusiast than to a dealer its his wish all cash raised is too go to MacMillian trust now my question
He has a liitle room that I can only describe as a time capsule from the early
1930's including several Avo 7/8s all in original boxes A very trick lathe,a trick looking machine for cable winding, bespoke coils,special smoothing chokes, a draw full of very old caps all documented in seal packets several boxes of valves ,loads of pre war valve books just loads of stuff,

any advise on how best to value this collection for him would be helpful

I should add that all this equipment is more related to his real passion,Valve radios he also has several very old radios and some very large valves that date pre WW1

I have quite by accident meet a charming 97 yr old gentleman who used too work closely Sir John logie Baird .....true really.... anyway this guy is very very frail and wishes to dispose of all this Equipment, he would rather it all goes too real enthusiast than to a dealer its his wish all cash raised is too go to MacMillian trust now my question
He has a liitle room that I can only describe as a time capsule from the early
1930's including several Avo 7/8s all in original boxes A very trick lathe,a trick looking machine for cable winding, bespoke coils,special smoothing chokes, a draw full of very old caps all documented in seal packets several boxes of valves ,loads of pre war valve books just loads of stuff,

any advise on how best to value this collection for him would be helpful

I should add that all this equipment is more related to his real passion,Valve radios he also has several very old radios and some very large valves that date pre WW1

Catalogue it and put it up individualy at ebay making sure you include both far east (Japan especially) and USA on the listing. I would say at least £1000 but hard to judge above that depending on that catalogue listing. If you give me that listing I will give you a better estimate.

Pity is the main auction house haven't cottoned on to the potential of this market.

AFAIK, the only interest from the Far East in stuff this old is in certain types of NOS valves that the audiophile community have adopted. PX4 is one that springs to mind.

Most Vintage TV, Radio and Instrumentation stuff has relatively little value although you'd always maximise it if you split it into lots, catalogue and describe it correctly, and get it in front of the correct buyers.

Most of the old caps will be no use after all this time.

advertisement

Back