advertisement

What speaker cable for Naim / Epos?

mikegreenwood

pfm Member
I'm using a Naim Nac 102 + Napsc and a Hicap / Nap 250 set up into new Epos 16s. The Epos are internally wired in DNM and I'm using the same for speaker leads at the moment. I'd like to use NAC 5 but its such a pig to run and trim in, also the 16s can be tri-wired or linked out. Anyone used a cable they would recommend and in what format. I aware Naim frown on bi-wire etc. but not sure why!

DNM wire is not matching a 250, wrong load and no good sound.
Chord Co. makes several good speaker wire and biwire solutions.

ecosse MS2.3 monocrystal cable. its not a bi-wire cable but they can make you cables to replace the metal links.

totaly amazing cable and is a full bandwidth design - no tone top or bottom

OK! Thanks for the info up to now. I can handle a soldering iron fine, so , I need a flexable cable that works well with Naim, is resonable in cost, ( say around Naim NAC5 price ) easily available, Infact a best buy, that is for the best reasons not the best price. Then do I go for banana plugs or spades and do I tri-wire or link out the three terminals. I've heard it said that three of the top cables including Exposure come from the same factory and of the drum. Maybe with an insulation colour change. (Grey or Black!!!! or even white)

BTW. If DNM sounds so bad, why do Epos use it in there speakers and why do Epos match Naim so well????? I wonder!!!

If it were me, i'd consider the 4mm Van damme stuff. I read on here that PMC recommend it and the BBC use it. It's quite cheap too.

I rang Van Damme but they did'nt get back, anyway up till now. Is it a multistrand or single?I think I'm going off bi-wire/tri wire but would like to use cable links.

Van damme is multistrand, oxygen free copper.
I never did like the idea of bi or tri-wiring (Never tried it to be honest) I use 'F' connectors on my Kans, with Naim banana plugs. They have a slot in the back of the plug, that makes it easy to solder in an 'F' shape

Why is noone recommending good old A5?

If you wish to use the van-Damme cables (and I might when I get my passive setup going) try to get the blue jacketed stuff. The clear fig 8 is supposed to "go off" quicker and I've seen contaminated cable that hasn't has a good life as the jacket is reasonably transparent

I can most definitely recommend NVA cable - I use LS5 with my NAP180 and it works superbly.

Not actually tried NACA5 (did own some back in my Nait 2 days) with this rig though, although have used old Exposure cable which I keep as a back-up, pretty much the same as (or v similar to I think) A5.

I aware Naim frown on bi-wire etc. but not sure why![/QUOTE]

Because the speaker cable provides the necessary inductance for amp stability; biwiring halves the inductance seen by the amp.

I've nothing against Naca 5. I'm sure it's a class speaker cable. It's just it's so user unfriendly. The same as having a sports car on bald tyres. Fine on the straight but wont go around tight bends. It can also be a strain on the connectors unless your very careful at trimming it in.
Could be handy for a shower or cooker though, or maybe a welding set!

You might want to try Audioquest 'Hyperlitz' cables of yonder years. I got good results with Audioquest Midnight 2 and Naim/Epos combo before. Still using the Midnight 2 until today.

Apparently the optimum length for NACA5 is 3mtr per side

if you are talking about use of NACA5 with Naim amplifiers, then you are incorrect. MINIMUM length is 3.5m per side, both sides should be equal length. For 'optimum', some say 5m, some say longer (like 7.5). There's even been discussion on what 'max' is.

Mike, NACA5 does in fact go round "tight corners" - if you are obsessive about making cables neat and tidy (often at the expense of the tune of the system) just use a hair dryer or heatgun, carefully warm it up, and then bend it. It'll stay in place once cooled, if you hold it during cooling (suggest you use a thick towel to avoid discomfort). Stop being such a pussy and borrow your son's cables, you know naca5 makes sense. Your comparison to a sportscar on bald tyres is disturbing, if not hillarious. What is it about hifi that brings out such madness? :cool:

regards

NACA5 is the best choice in your system and if it sounds poor then something else is wrong imo. Also don't bi-wire but have the speaker end modified with an "F-termination", basically two sets of plugs from one cable and this gives the best connection for biwirable speakers (or butcher the Epos internally to remove the biwiring).

regards
Jason

advertisement

Back