advertisement

RSD 2024

So after over 5 hours in the queue, when I get about 10 minutes from the counter, some guy calls out my ticket number and tells me they don't have any - not sure if they had any to begin with....

That's 5 hours of my life I will never get back. My last RSD...in future I will take my chances online on Monday.

I relented.

I went into Vinyl Attraction in Newark and bought the Steven Wilson release. Lots of stuff left. Alas, no Snarky Puppy.

I relented.

I went into Vinyl Attraction in Newark and bought the Steven Wilson release. Lots of stuff left. Alas, no Snarky Puppy.
What were the queues like at Newark? I considered it, as it may be shorter than Rough Trade in Nottingham, but thought there was more chance of Ian Hunter stock in Nottingham.

What were the queues like at Newark? I considered it, as it may be shorter than Rough Trade in Nottingham, but thought there was more chance of Ian Hunter stock in Nottingham.
My local store had the Ian Hunter album at around 11.00 today. If you can't find one I can check to see if they still have stock on Monday.

My local store had the Ian Hunter album at around 11.00 today. If you can't find one I can check to see if they still have stock on Monday.
That would be nice Mike, but don't go out of your way. If you can let me know, otherwise I will see who has what at 8pm on Monday. I will knock together a list of clicky links tomorrow to speed up the search.

I was lazy, went at 1pm. No queue.

They had the Ian Hunter too.

My first experience of RSD in the flesh. Went to Relevant Records & Cafe in Cambridge followed by Lost In Vinyl in Cambridge.

Arrived at around 6am to find a healthy queue of around 50-60 people. The store opens its cafe at 6am and allocates everyone in the queue a number as they enter the cafe (like an old school deli). I was number 57. Got some breakfast and a nice coffee and spent a pleasurable few hours chatting to likeminded music buffs... people were called in batches of 10 (i.e. tickets 1-10, 11-20) from 8am. You went downstairs to the shop and were served in ticket number order by giving your list to the assistant who then retrieved the records for you from behind the counter. You could buy only 1 of each item but with no restriction on the total. Turns out the first 3 ticket holders had started queueing at 6am on Friday!!!!! WTF??? Anyway they bought huge amounts but if they'd been there for over a day fair play to them.

Each batch of 10 people took about 30 mins to process. All was going well but with people peeling off to go and be served inevitably new people took their place at the tables and that is when it happened.... I got the opinionated dickhead to talk to... apparently all music made after 1980 is shite, the Linn LP12 is the only turntable worth using, Pink Floyd are the best band in the world with the Beatles being totally overrated and no better than Duran Duran, Brexit was a good thing and all the immigrants are ****s.... initially I tried to ignore him, but... well it got a bit heated :D :D Luckily my number was then called and I picked up a few titles including Bowie... missed the Propaganda one as number 52 bought the last one and number 53 had wanted it too... he must have been gutted. Anyway, aside from the idiot it was good fun.

Then headed over to Lost in Vinyl around 10:30am and found the place relatively empty with plenty of stock left... but no Propaganda. Picked up The Orb release as felt I ought to buy something given the effort the staff had put in to displaying everything. They obviously do it differently there as people get let in in groups from the queue to select their own records which obviously means not everyone is processed in the exact order they queued, but it works for them.

All in all I quite enjoyed it... the cafe was a huge plus I must say.

Last edited:
Ad-Astra in Leominister had it at 3pm today... their contact details are on the RSD website

Popped into Chameleon in Aberdeen today (situated in Holburn Hi Fi) this afternoon - delayed by listening to the penalty shootout between Aberdeen and Celtic in the Scottish Cup semi-final! - (so close but the Dons were edged out).

I was able to pick up the Lowell George - Thanks I'll Eat it Here and Televison's Live at the Academy '92.

There were still copies of the Faces at the BBC and Neil Young's F***ing Up. Also the 1975 Live. I decided to pass - the two doubles that I bought set me back over £100 so that's enough to be going on with! There were a couple of Ian Hunter's still there.

Apparently there had been folk queuing all night and a long queue early this morning - so a successful day for the store.

If anyone is wondering why their shop has run out of stock it seems to be because Mike at The In Groove bought it all! Livestream here on YouTube. Looks like a nice chilled-out atmosphere in there and folk getting what they want.

So......I called Vinyl Attraction in Newark, and they said they had 1 in stock, with an hour to closing time, journey is about 30 mins. Jumped in the car, got a mile down the road, went round a corner, then lost all drive. I thought the clutch had gone, but AA man (45 min wait, not too bad), said the driveshaft had popped out of the CV joint. He stripped a few bits and got it back in, but said the bottom ball joint had loads of play, but he never saw a worn one pop a driveshaft before. Maybe it could have been me not getting it fully in when I did the wheel bearings, but that was a while ago, and I must have done over 1000 miles since....
So, needs a suspension arm, and precautionary drive shaft....

What a crap day.

Not sure if this counts as a RSD adventure but I caught the bus out to a shop on the Kent borders and spent a very contented hour-and-a-bit rummaging. Invested £6.50 in grimy old records from the cheapie bins and found a Sonic Youth bootleg I've been after for yonks - £30 but I've never seen a copy in the flesh before. Result!

Coffee and cake in the cafe up the road with my OH then bus home. Perfect Saturday afternoon : )

7Obw4GG.jpeg

Popped down to Resident in Brighton this morning about 6am and found a queue going round the block of a good couple hundred people. I jumped in line before I realised that despite it being sunny, the queue was in the shade and my weather app said it was 2 degrees out. After standing in the near freezing temperatures for a good five minutes I realised there was nothing that I needed in life that much and headed home to get back to bed.

Woke up a few hours later feeling refreshed and ready to go again and was in the shop within ten minutes. The queue inside was still a good hour long, but I was luckily next to a lovely bloke named Dave who was a good egg. Came out with the 30th anniversary Blur Parklife picture disc and the Lost In Translation soundtrack. There was definitely a few more things on my radar, but judging by the stock levels in Resident, nothing that can't wait til next week when I'm sitting at home without FOMO picking at my brain.

I didn't envy the Resident staff much but they did a good job of organising what could very easily have been chaos. I was sorely tempted to pick up the Billy Bragg album so I could get a wristband to see him play live in teh shop later, but frankly I couldn't be arsed to spend any more time in a record shop. Good experience overall though.

advertisement

Back