advertisement

The best audio system on earth?

Multiple power supplies, daft rope style cables, valves & foo. I'd be perfectly happy with pair of big ATC actives & a top end digital front end. Maybe Linn, DCS or Benchmark, normal cables. Would almost certainly be more accurate across all music types. I can never understand how £20k cables can be effective apart from enriching the makers.
It's easy to say you can't understand why £20k cables can be effective, have you heard any in systems costing £200k+ and compared to say a £1k cable. My experience, although not to the extreme prices mentioned here, is that they can make a difference, mostly subtle but if you can afford it and are happy to pay, I say go for it. I never question others when buying expensive cars, you can still buy a new one for £20k yet they are happy to pay £100k+.

It's easy to say you can't understand why £20k cables can be effective, have you heard any in systems costing £200k+ and compared to say a £1k cable. My experience, although not to the extreme prices mentioned here, is that they can make a difference, mostly subtle but if you can afford it and are happy to pay, I say go for it. I never question others when buying expensive cars, you can still buy a new one for £20k yet they are happy to pay £100k+.

But there is objectivity in expensive cars, what's in an expensive cable?

I’ve listened to an expensive cable in the past & it made no difference.

I’d rather use the money to make a non-subtle difference. Or not bother.

I was lucky enough to have a quick listen to GT's system on Sunday. I should imagine it sounds similar to the Boyer, only better. Anyway, it trumps anything since there's a really classy motorbike in between the speakers.

@Woodface If you cannot hear the difference between cables, Amazon basics is were you want to be. We'll stick with the ones we own. We're s
very happy with our Audi and don't need a Porsche.

Is really a weak analogy, car Y get you from A -B, car Z get you from A - B in more comfort.

Cables get the signal from A -B, for us the more expensive cable can do it more to our liking.

But there is objectivity in expensive cars, what's in an expensive cable?
Not entirely convinced. I bet the raw materials and manufacturing costs of a Porsche and a WW Golf aren’t miles apart. So why do the bigger numbers of the Porsche cost so much more.

@Woodface If you cannot hear the difference between cables, Amazon basics is were you want to be. We'll stick with the ones we own. We're s

Is really a weak analogy, car Y get you from A -B, car Z get you from A - B in more comfort.

Cables get the signal from A -B, for us the more expensive cable can do it more to our liking.
I can’t hear it because there is no difference.

Why not try some different cables on you Audi, it might go like a Porsche then.

I’ve never bought any Amazon basics that I’m aware of.

It’s all a bit Russ Andrew, spend the most money on cables.

I have no dispute with your analogy. My only dispute is that it is, for sure, the wrong analogy for others.

For me an audio cable's job is to transfer a signal from point A to point B without any audible degradation. That includes no enhancement "to our liking" either (to whomever "our" refers - it does not include me). For me a well-made cable is fungible - any other well-made cable can be used instead. IME this can be done quite well enough for not too much expenditure.

I get it that some people like to tune their audio system using every substitutable part. No dispute, but others are different. I prefer to get a sound that's to my taste by tuning a smaller sub-set of my system's components. That sub-set does not include cables. Do I really have to add YMMV?

advertisement

Back