advertisement

Sick of touchscreens in cars? Maybe good news is coming.

My comment you quote related to autonomous vehicle systems not touch screens... however I don't agree their use is entirely inappropriate in this context, but they will have to evolve such that maybe some of the touch controls will be supplemented by physical switches etc.
But why bother! There is nothing wrong with a knob to turn the radio up, down or off. A switch or knob for lights, buttons or (perish the thought!) mechanical levers to control the ventilation, heating and A/C, what else do we need?

voice recognition - "play Radio1Xtra" "heating 20 degrees" ",heated seats on" "driver massage on" etc...

As someone whose fingers are worn to the point that touch screen use is intermittent at best, I'd be perfectly happy never to use another as long as I lived and certainly not in a vehicle.

The heater in my 911 is "actuated" without a touchscreen. There is a metal lever, with a red knob on the end, on the floor next to the seat. I pull the lever up, which pulls a Bowden cable which opens a flap "door" near the exhaust pipes. Heat comes into the car. If I wish, there is a switch that sets off a fan that pushes that heated air along with more energy.

Do I really need to point out why touchscreens have their advantages (yes and some disadvantages)? Do I really?

The heater in my 911 is "actuated" without a touchscreen. There is a metal lever, with a red knob on the end, on the floor next to the seat. I pull the lever up, which pulls a Bowden cable which opens a flap "door" near the exhaust pipes. Heat comes into the car. If I wish, there is a switch that sets off a fan that pushes that heated air along with more energy.
It's the "heater" that needs to be in quotes. About as much use as a chocolate teapot the heaters in those 911s... not everything ancient or simple is good.

Don’t worry, I know exactly what you mean, and I’m sure most here had cars with no PAS in their past.

Our Peugeot 106 Rallye had perfect steering. 810kg ish, 185 tyres, no power assist. The best steering I’ve experienced, leagues ahead of that on my Chevette HS. That was good, but too much engine up the front.

Motorbikes? P’ah!

Pedal bikes are where it’s at, especially road bikes with their tiny tyres and no suspension. You feel absolutely everything the tyres go over, and I’ve even ridden over changes in road surface just to feel the difference. :)
True, but then they'll only do 20 odd mph and have an even higher risk of death than a motorbike (or at least it feels that way), and are a hell of a lot more effort. Gave up cycling in my teens (though I can boast to having done the London - Brighton run, and pedalled every single inch of it - even up Ditchling beacon - but then I was a youngun and with my Father so was going at his pace - will never forget reaching about the half way point and seeing some of the serious club cyclists on their way back to London having already reached Brighton and turned around).

My comment you quote related to autonomous vehicle systems not touch screens... however I don't agree their use is entirely inappropriate in this context, but they will have to evolve such that maybe some of the touch controls will be supplemented by physical switches etc.
I'm sure they're here to stay, and in all honesty I have no problem with that. But a better balance of user inputs is required than is currently the case in some cars (Tesla for example).

Talking about technology in general: I'm certainly no technophobe, heads up displays are a good use of technology that I can get on board with for example* Even though I do love the look of a nice physical dial type instrument cluster.

*I've never actually used one so reserve the right to retract that statement at some point in the future :p

It's the "heater" that needs to be in quotes. About as much use as a chocolate teapot the heaters in those 911s... not everything ancient or simple is good.
Sorry, but you are absolutely wrong. It is the air conditionner that is crap. In fact I had it taken out, saved about 30 kilos. The heater is excellent, starts working about 30 seconds after you turn on the engine and will toast you within 5 minutes unless you gradually ease the lever down a bit. Ask anyone who had/has one. And it is not "ancient," 1987.

Old auto 'boxes are absolutely gash. Sure, they worked, but they are terrible to use. The DSG was a game-changer.

The thing with automatic transmissions is, you don't 'use' them. They work all by themselves. Flawless. DSG is just a complicated way of making a 19'th century invention work as a 20'th century one already does beautifully and simply with planetary gears.
Nowadays in the quest for complexity they seem to do auto boxes with up to 10 gears. Ten! The last time I had an auto it was six speed in a BMW 335i, lots of fiddling up and down the gears without any obvious reason.
Best ever auto was Mercs four stage with a very low first gear that only was used in a rushed standing start.

You're being too binary. Electric power steering does not equal no feel at all any more than hydraulic power steering guarantees 100% feel. My point is that expert drivers who really benefit from that extra bit of feel a really good hydraulic system might give you over a really good electric system (and that assumes that is still the case as electric systems have moved on) are few and far between... most drivers will never even notice and of those who claim to do so only a small percentage actually will.
I reread my post. I never referenced anything about 'electric power steering'.
But, as you mentioned it. I had an Mr2 Spyder for twelve years. I believe it had electric PS. No, I never noticed anything that could be related to that. The whole idea most probably comes from being biased from reading to many car magazines (think motoring journalists being assembled at a new model introduction. One of them comes out of a car, loudly proclaiming 'This f****ng electric power steering, it has no feel!!!' Not very likely any of the others is going to seem a bad driver by fessing up 'I didn't notice anything.') ;)

Yup. All image and crap substance. In a way a bit like American cars in the '50s and '60s, with huge fins and bulges and fake air intakes and rocket-shaped exhausts. Which was followed by the clean "Italian style," and now we are back into crassly vulgar, ugly "design."

Yes, exactly!!!! Todays car 'styling' (I wouldn't call it design) is the 50's all over again! Even the silly horizontal speedometers are back, in a way, now implemented as screens. Well, the 50's ended, so there is some hope for the future...

Sorry, but you are absolutely wrong. It is the air conditionner that is crap. In fact I had it taken out, saved about 30 kilos. The heater is excellent, starts working about 30 seconds after you turn on the engine and will toast you within 5 minutes unless you gradually ease the lever down a bit. Ask anyone who had/has one. And it is not "ancient," 1987.
Well... I grew up in a succession of VW type 3's (also designed by Porsche). The heating varied from one to the other. In one the heat coming out onto the rear floor melted the rubber mats, in another you had to use an ice scraper on the inside of the front window. All had Ebesprächer auxillary heaters. Thankfully.
No AC and parents that was afraid of draught. Sunshine, short pant and vinyl seats. Horrible.

Do I really need to point out why touchscreens have their advantages (yes and some disadvantages)? Do I really?
The only thing that springs to mind is displaying maps. And that could/should be on any old "tablet" specifically for that purpose that is put away when not in use.

Well... I grew up in a succession of VW type 3's (also designed by Porsche). The heating varied from one to the other. In one the heat coming out onto the rear floor melted the rubber mats, in another you had to use an ice scraper on the inside of the front window. All had Ebesprächer auxillary heaters. Thankfully.
No AC and parents that was afraid of draught. Sunshine, short pant and vinyl seats. Horrible.
Some very early 911s also had an auxillary heater that ran on petrol! Which sounds just a tiny bit dangerous.
But the heater on my 1987 one works beautifully.
Yes, in my childhood experience adults were all afraid of draughts, unless they were British, and I thought they were crazy. Today, I understand them.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom