advertisement

Headway Brain Injury Charity - Records - Mapperley, Nottm.

Just picked up empty plastic record sleeves to refill with vinyl joys.

We made £87 this week. Ace. Gave the shop £20 that came from an online sale. £107 tots.

Sold 20 L.P’s - one of which was a hardly playable Rolling Stones compilation, octagonal sleeve £5!
A couple of Top of the Poppers albums went at £2 a pop. (not original artistes!)
Sold a few Country & Western albums, bit of Classical and even a Kylie album.

Sold 11 x 7” Singles, the most expensive being E.L.O. Mr. Blue Sky, blue vinyl, all the 7” Singles were a £1 or more.

Sold 3x12” Singles

The shop manager was very pleased. I was offered a cup of tea! (graciously declined)

Whilst I was at the shop I graded all the recent donations for the dustbin, based on content not the condition.
Must have been 200+ L.P’s, our dustbin get very heavy dumping these amounts of vinyl, so better the shop uses their bin.

As a treat I remembered to go into the Oxfam shop next door. Bought a 1962 Elvis album for £2 which I will play, then probably stick in the Headway charity shop for at least £7…

Picked up £78 worth of sleeves today. The Wife found a proper (£4 a loaf) bakery near the charity shop.

Sold - 8 x 7” Singles - 3 x 12” Singles and 26 L.P’s

Oddest 7” was by Honey Bane
Pleased to get £2 for ‘The King and I’ ost - stereo version
Managed to sell Bert Kaempfert and Mantovani under the new ‘top cheese’ banner.
another ’Top of the Poppers‘ (not original artistes…) went for £2
I have noticed that I can sell ‘Folk’ ‘Country & Western’ far easier at this shop than the old one.
Three Sky albums that have been skulking in the shadows went at £3 a pop.

Not many donations this week, so Perry Como will be making a play for the £1 sale.
I have a box of 7”ers to explore. Sure I saw a Gary Numan sleeve. Gary flies out. And he would like that. :cool:

How many copies of Sky 2 do you have in stock? I think my stock level is four! They just appear.

It does pop up frequently! I had a big batch of Sky that has shifted since the shop location changed. I think I have maybe one Sky album left at the mo.

What cracks me up is how customers in the shop - always Men and 50+ yrs question the absence of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin & Pink Floyd (you get the idea) as if those albums are donated frequently and they assume that I am taking them. I always give them the truth, which is that those albums never get donated. Not once in a decade of doing this voluntarily role has anything like that come through my hands.

There is a Rolling Stones album that came in about 2 yrs ago, I think one side plays through with excessive noise and the other side has skips etc. I need to reassess what to do with it.

The sleeve looks half-eaten by a rodent.

The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones album cover
More images

Label:Decca – LK 4605, Decca – LK.4605
Format:Vinyl, LP, Album, Mono
Released:Apr 1964

@Tony L

the additional artwork is unwelcome but understandable.

IMG-1694.jpg

Quite an achievement!

I love the sense of adventure that some Buyers are showing in their purchases. It means that the charity can make £1 for something that I used to regard as dead stock. And the records are nr/mint and usually similar sleeves.
I may question the music, but often the production on these ‘Easy Listening’ albums is fantastic.

There is some spectacular stuff just outside the realm of ‘easy listening’ but still firmly in the broader ‘cheese’ category. The stuff classed as ‘space age bachelor pad’ etc. This sort of thing:

8606067600_970ccae330_c.jpg

I’ve thinned the collection down a bit since this pic, but many are amongst the best sounding records ever made. Amusing too as they are just so crazy musically. Everyone should have at least one Esquivel album and a copy of Music For Bang, Baaroom And Harp.

^ worth owning some of those just for the sleeves.

Though I note that putting large hypodermic needles on the cover of jazz LPs has largely gone out of fashion. I wonder why.

There is some spectacular stuff just outside the realm of ‘easy listening’ but still firmly in the broader ‘cheese’ category. The stuff classed as ‘space age bachelor pad’ etc. This sort of thing:

8606067600_970ccae330_c.jpg

I’ve thinned the collection down a bit since this pic, but many are amongst the best sounding records ever made. Amusing too as they are just so crazy musically. Everyone should have at least one Esquivel album and a copy of Music For Bang, Baaroom And Harp.

:D
that’s weird ( a bit) as I just put a Living Stereo series record in the shop. £3.

I played it a few times, and made The Wife listen to it. ‘The Desert Song’ soundtrack 1958 I think.
ace stuff. It sounded amazing.
it was this

Giorgio Tozzi - Selections From The Desert Song album cover
More images

Label:RCA – SF-5005, RCA – LOP-1000
Series:Living Stereo
Format:Vinyl, LP, Stereo
Released:15 Sep 1958

Just picked up the Sales for the last week or so.

I sold ten 7” Singles, the most expensive being £7 for a Cocteau Twins 45.

Only twelve Albums sold this week. - Pleased to sell a Boney-M album for £5! Also made £23 for a 1964 mono Dave Brubeck album. - weeks total of £75 is pleasing.

This week I have put some interesting records in the shop.

IMG-1721.jpg

IMG-1719.jpg

Whilst I was at the shop I graded all the recent donations for the dustbin, based on content not the condition.
Must have been 200+ L.P’s, our dustbin get very heavy dumping these amounts of vinyl, so better the shop uses their bin.

You could always make some bowls for the shop to sell from the rejects...

You could always make some bowls for the shop to sell from the rejects...

Naw - I ain’t got time or inclination.
I dedicate many hours in a week to the volunteer work and get most financial return for effort exerted by cleaning, grading and pricing records.

I last made a bowl out of an album in the 1970’s and as I recall they are truly disappointing!
@Jamie if you fancy making 20 or so, let me know and I will supply the albums :D

on a serious note - the problem is that the vinyl is black - if there were a supply of brightly coloured vinyl, then they might sell…

I popped into an antiques centre this morning and discovered a stall selling empty record sleeves for £4 a pop. I'm guessing they binned the records because they were knackered.

Sadly from a quick glance they weren't original Blue Note sleeves but mostly 80s Chartbuster type stuff. I can't imagine sales are particularly brisk.

Reckon you might get a bit more on the Trini Lopez BT.

I look at the Discogs prices and how many people ‘want’ a copy. If the album had played with no surface noise then I might have asked for £4…
I figure that not that many people want it, and I don’t want stock sat around in the shop for months, so £2 is a good price and hopefully will shift in less than a month.

I am always tempted to try and get more money for the charity, but it is a fine line between a bargain and overpriced.
There will be more stock arriving almost weekly, so better to make the prices keen - and I want folks to think that they are getting a bargain - more likely to return I figure.

The descriptions on the labels are great! Shame that Ventures LP is in dodgy condition.

I have had that album for decades, and it is clean looking vinyl. It has one maybe two tiny skips that might not skip with a different stylus - £2 is a great bargain! I could have graded it with a fancy cartridge, but used my regular goldring 2100 cart that is on my ‘grading system’
£2 is worth a punt for someone in that condition. It might play without a skip on another system… and I like sticking records in the shop that are interesting.

My small curated charity vinyl/record collection has moved! Now next to Oxfam in Mapperley, Nottingham.
About 175 Albums/12” Records and a similar number of 7” Singles.

IMG-1587.jpg

I have been sorting, grading, cleaning and selling records for Headway brain injury charity for quite a few years now.
Back in 2008 I was taking a break from Oncology/Palliative Care Nursing, so turned my hand to writing for a motorcycle magazine. I had barely started when I had a life changing road/traffic accident. (T-Boned is the term think)
Four years after my accident, all I had was music/hifi to keep me sane. That is when I found pfm and Discogs.
I would frequent the local Headway charity shop, trawling for interesting records. It was easy to recognise that they were practically giving records away rather than getting a fair price for their donations. So I spoke to the manager and offered my time and experience. I have a brain injury, so it makes sense.

I clean and play everything that goes for sale. I wouldn’t feel happy asking for £9 for an album that didn’t play well. Albums and 12” Singles sell for £1 upwards. 7” Singles sell from 50p. upwards

Donate here, or come see what I am selling in Mapperley Nottingham. Loads of parking nearby.
link >

Headway Charity Shop
23a Plains Road Mapperley
Nottingham
NG3 5LG
United Kingdom

more information about Headway charity.

https://www.headway.org.uk/
Nice. I used to work in the school along the road there. Will pop along to look when I can.

advertisement

Back