advertisement

She's had enough!! Time for a tin-opener thread :)

JTC

PFM Villager...
SWMBO just collared me betwixt office and kitchen, reminding me that our current tin-opener is a big pile of failure and it is now Time to consult the Sultans of Pink for recommendations on simple-but-bombproof tin-openers that aren't gimmicky, difficult/fiddly to use or downright perverse. Cost no object (well, ok, I'm not wanting to spend more than maybe twenty quid, not really) but preferably something that will balance quality, reliability and longevity.

I will referee. Bonus points for something that will fit in a drawer without conspiring to prevent future drawer openings by catching on stuff. Double points for anyone who recommends the crap we already have (this one for shits and giggles).

Go...

OXO Good Grips make decent quality products that are ergonomically designed, we have a number in our kitchen including one of their tin openers.

Go basic.
They don’t last long.
The expensive ones I have had over the years fail as much as a cheap one.

We now use this kind.

e770bcc4-e988-4889-9194-4612f541e046_1.302c8714f9f744430af9f7c4f25b6a5c.jpeg

Culinare C10007

This is the dirrect descendant (various company buy outs) to one my Mother purchased in the late 80s and used for decades and I have now been using it for at least ten years so it must be thirty plus years old and working fine.
I prefer to use it even when the can has the pull top style which only ever seem to try and cut your hand or fingers off!!!
The original patent/pend is from 1982 for WL HouseWare

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ben & Ted are close for the double points.... the failed tin opener does hail from the House of Culinare, albeit not that model. So they're off the 'preferred supplier list' I'm afraid....

If you were a millenial you'd get yourself down dunelm, buy every possible option, do an unboxing video for each, and then a series of testing videos, all in the pursuit of fame and fortune. So that's one option for you.

If you were a millenial you'd get yourself down dunelm, buy every possible option, do an unboxing video for each, and then a series of testing videos, all in the pursuit of fame and fortune. So that's one option for you.
I'm too auld to consider myself a millennial... I just want a quiet life :)

This is the dirrect descendant (various company buy outs) to one my Mother purchased in the late 80s and used for decades and I have now been using it for at least ten years so it must be thirty plus years old and working fine.

They must vary, although how you'd tell, I have no idea.

I too "inherited" one (from Lord alone knows where), and the shape of the seal on the tin matters a lot - it will not open plenty. Dead easy if it fits, useless if it does not.

I’m in this game, trying to get a new can opener listed in major high street retailers.

Biggest competition I keep coming up against is Culinare’s Magican - it’s everywhere.

I hear it on good authority that quality isn’t what it used to be however but it does have brand awareness and continues to be a best seller.

If you want to go up market, try something from Zyliss - same parent company as Culinare but better built.

advertisement

Back