advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VII

I couldn't actually find the SNP text on a quick Google, but Labour's amendment makes things more concrete that the ceasefire has to apply to both sides.

Original SNP motion:

That this House calls for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and Israel; notes with shock and distress that the death toll has now risen beyond 28,000, the vast majority of whom were women and children; further notes that there are currently 1.5 million Palestinians sheltering in Rafah, 610,000 of whom are children; also notes that they have nowhere else to go; condemns any military assault on what is now the largest refugee camp in the world; further calls for the immediate release of all hostages taken by Hamas and an end to the collective punishment of the Palestinian people; and recognises that the only way to stop the slaughter of innocent civilians is to press for a ceasefire now.

I couldn't actually find the SNP text on a quick Google, but Labour's amendment makes things more concrete that the ceasefire has to apply to both sides.

If the Labour amended motion were to pass, that would be a significant moment. The UK Parliament calling for a ceasefire. We should hope that it does pass (with the help of some Tory rebels who would not have supported the SNP motion).

Sir Keir’s “let the bodies pile high in their thousands” moment. He had four months to bring his own ceasefire motion and 30,000 corpses later he moves an amendment to another party’s ceasefire motion, which is granted by the Speaker in a remarkable breach of parliamentary convention.

Damascene conversion or a manoeuvre to spare himself the embarrassment of another rebellion by his MPs? Anyway, better later than never.🙌

Except... It might not be true.

"However, sources close to the Speaker have rejected accusations that he was pressurised by Labour.
Sky News understands he had the safety of MPs in mind when he broke with convention today (see previous post).
A Labour spokesperson has also rejected any accusation that the party pressured the Speaker"

Do you seriously believe this?

Original SNP motion:

That this House calls for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and Israel; notes with shock and distress that the death toll has now risen beyond 28,000, the vast majority of whom were women and children; further notes that there are currently 1.5 million Palestinians sheltering in Rafah, 610,000 of whom are children; also notes that they have nowhere else to go; condemns any military assault on what is now the largest refugee camp in the world; further calls for the immediate release of all hostages taken by Hamas and an end to the collective punishment of the Palestinian people; and recognises that the only way to stop the slaughter of innocent civilians is to press for a ceasefire now.
That’s it right there. in the context of those words , history will judge this as a black day in the British Parliament . Imagine waving through Srebrenica without raising a voice.

Chaos in the Commons as SNP and Labour MPs walk out

Shortly before the walkout, the SNP's Brendan O'Hara said the Commons had "descended into absolute chaos because of the decision of the Speaker earlier today" and demanded Lindsay Hoyle return to the Chamber.

Deputy Speaker Rosie Winterton responds Hoyle will be be "back in his place tomorrow" adding "it looks so bad to our constituents" when MPs are "just shouting each other down".

Conservative MP Philip Davies raises the claims that senior Labour figures pressured Speaker Lindsay Hoyle to make the unusual decision to allow an opposition amendment to an opposition motion.
BBC Newsnight's political editor posted the claim from senior Labour sources on social media earlier today, but added the Speaker's Office was later in touch to say the claim was not true.
Davies calls for the Labour figure to be identified as shouts of "Sue Gray" are made from the Conservative benches.
Deputy speaker Rosie Winterton says: "That tweet is wrong and the statement is incorrect, just to reassure him."

The Graun:
“The current situation in the Commons remains extremely chaotic and unedifying”. No longer a serious country.

OK. Do you believe her?

On balance, yes. Because she has said it officially in her role the Commons, I would believe her over Watt saying something on Twitter from an unnamed source. I would have expected her to fudge the answer if it were true rather then clearly saying his report was wrong.

What a bunch of poo eating point scorers. Do they not realise that the grave they are digging is now even deeper. This is disgusting behaviour at a time they should all be speaking with one voice.

Who should be leading the left? It's irrelevant. Like the Tories in the early 2000s, the left of the Labour Party's moment has gone. What's next is - like the Tories under Cameron - for circumstances to open up and someone as yet unremarked to step forward.

Now, having won a GTTO election, what would Labour need to accomplish, in your view, in order that they will not be judged to have wasted their time in power?

Who should be leading the left is irrelevant? Deary, deary me. The choice of leader is fundamental to any turnaround plan (MIA so far admittedly), as it would be with any political party/faction on its knees. Hopefully, lessons have been learned post JC who is a wonderful activist but not made for party leadership. One suggestion is RLB, but she seems to have disappeared from public view. Maybe she is using her time to develop a new strategy for the left, per Momentum's suggestion. Regarding your confected questions about hypothetical futures (addressed in my previous post), I would have recommended a quick call to Mystic Meg but she died last year. Maybe Tarot cards would help.

More bullying from Starmer this pm:

Newsnight’s Nicholas Watt says he has been told by Labour figures that Sir Lindsay Hoyle was told, if he did not allow the party’s amendment, he could be voted out of office by Labour MPs after the election.

The message was: you will need our votes to be re-elected as speaker after election with strong indications this would not be forthcoming if he failed to call the Labour amendment

This has been denied by the Deputy Speaker.

Who should be leading the left is irrelevant? Deary, deary me. The choice of leader is fundamental to any turnaround plan (MIA so far admittedly), as it would be with any political party/faction on its knees. Hopefully, lessons have been learned post JC who is a wonderful activist but not made for party leadership. One suggestion is RLB, but she seems to have disappeared from public view. Maybe she is using her time to develop a new strategy for the left, per Momentum's suggestion. Regarding your confected questions about hypothetical futures (addressed in my previous post), I would have recommended a quick call to Mystic Meg but she died last year. Maybe Tarot cards would help.
RLB is strongly on the Spending Is Good side. Not your cup of tea I’m afraid

advertisement

Back