advertisement

What's Your Power Block.

52780994881_4f8aedc1ca_b.jpg

Various ancient second-hand MusicWorks blocks here. I say various as Larry changed the spec every Thursday evening and no two are ever the same. I need switched outlets as a lot of my stuff either has no power switch (Quad 303, Leak TL12 Plus), or has one in a profoundly stupid place on the back (DPA). I’ve got three of them, one in each system, mostly bought second-hand for less than I could make one for. It amazes me how many audiophile mains blocks don’t have switched outlets these days. Just totally unfit for purpose IMO.
I have a power block almost identical to that I got at a booty for a quid. Separate single plug sockets x 6.

Hi, thanks, larry came round many years ago, to show me the mains block and MIT cable's, he Alas does not sell Spectral audio gear, in my thinking a bad mistake, but we have no distributor in the uk, i think he was looking into that, but no deal was to be done, pitty Spectral gear is first class, i only sold mine as there is no back-up in the uk, but europpe still sell it, it is cracking gear, :( had spectral for over 22 ish years not a problem,

I have a power block almost identical to that I got at a booty for a quid. Separate single plug sockets x 6.

Bargain! FWIW I’ve paid £50-75 a piece for my three, which is cheaper than I could make equivalents, especially given the grey RS socket tray is no longer available.

52780994881_4f8aedc1ca_b.jpg

Various ancient second-hand MusicWorks blocks here. I say various as Larry changed the spec every Thursday evening and no two are ever the same. I need switched outlets as a lot of my stuff either has no power switch (Quad 303, Leak TL12 Plus), or has one in a profoundly stupid place on the back (DPA). I’ve got three of them, one in each system, mostly bought second-hand for less than I could make one for. It amazes me how many audiophile mains blocks don’t have switched outlets these days. Just totally unfit for purpose IMO.
My Quad 909 has a switch on the back..is it ok to leave it on and switch it on and off at plug?

Hi, thanks, larry came round many years ago, to show me the mains block and MIT cable's, he Alas does not sell Spectral audio gear, in my thinking a bad mistake, but we have no distributor in the uk, i think he was looking into that, but no deal was to be done, pitty Spectral gear is first class, i only sold mine as there is no back-up in the uk, but europpe still sell it, it is cracking gear, :( had spectral for over 22 ish years not a problem,
Spectral is good kit, but the latest top end Accuphase does more, IMHO. Spectral starts to feel like a bit of a one trick pony - speed is what it does.
If you like what Spectral does, you’d love CH Precision. Larry has recently taken that stuff on as well as doing Accuphase.

My Quad 909 has a switch on the back..is it ok to leave it on and switch it on and off at plug?

Yes, absolutely. I do it with everything aside from the record deck. It saves wear on the kit‘s on/off switch, keeps the front panel free of fingermarks etc. If I’m going to wear anything out I’d far prefer it to be an easy to replace bog-standard switched mains socket!

None, those that I used many years ago added coloration and reduced dynamics. I don't need more than two wall MK sockets. One is for my integrated amp and one for my CD player. The integrated amp was chosen deliberately to avoid the need for a block. Having said that my overhead wire electricity supply is not the best

Nordost QB6 v2 here, and a MusicWorks Reflex ultra. Absolutely certain my system would not sound this vibrant without this level of attention to power distribution. Tried a Puritan conditioner; that was, to use a familiar phrase, the day the music died.
May I ask which Puritan model the music died.

My four way one came from my University Lab.
The Management decided to buy new all-plastic ones.
The old ones were metal boxed, with two double sockets in the casing.
Quality switches, unlike the new ones.
Still working after 25 odd years.
I expect the all plastic ones went to the tip decades ago.

The radial was first and made a slight improvement, less grainy sounding. Next was the block and I had to reterminate my power leads with Schurter IEC plugs. This was an all round improvement like a source upgrade, no grain, more clearly defined everything really. A cumulative effect for sure and I'm using standard cables for all the mains. No complaints at all with the performance.

The radial was first and made a slight improvement, less grainy sounding. Next was the block and I had to reterminate my power leads with Schurter IEC plugs. This was an all round improvement like a source upgrade, no grain, more clearly defined everything really. A cumulative effect for sure and I'm using standard cables for all the mains. No complaints at all with the performance.
Thanks, I will give this a shot sometime!

Music Works ' Straight six ' the one Tony likes . The (Malaysian ?) sockets on both of mine had begun to get brittle and were cracking from the slots. They are very old now and there are many different versions . Still a great power block .
Replaced with a Music Works Gen 3 Ultra with the AccuPlex base plate . Simply sublime .
And a MusicWorks Reflex Lite ( Modified ) . I have replaced one socket with a switched socket so I can turn off my Naim Napsc and a cheeky AccuPlex base plate that Larry supplied to - a nice upgrade .

In the past I used a Musicline Powerigel , good but the MusicWorks Ultra Gen 3 is much better .

And also in the now quite distant past , where did the years go . Two of the four cables into one mains plugs thingys sold under different brand names . Ridiculously good value for money .

So Musicworks !
But phone the shop The Audioworks cos the Musicworks phone number didn't work for me .

Oh yeah went to a Naim factory visit with audio T Oxford just before Christmas and Jason recommended the MusicWorks

advertisement

Back