advertisement

Are the Obs significantly directional at low frequencies to make toe-in necessary? A speaker I have yet to try.

I have a pair of Arcs powered by a Naim NAP300 and I find that the best sound comes out when they are about 18" from the wall and 7ft apart. I find that they seem to sound better very slightly toed in but it could well be imagination.

20231202-224936.jpg

SL2 (Poppy) 552/500, Dave, MScaler

Some Xmas decorations early I know!

Some changes in the main listening room.

The TV has Chromecast built in, which is useful.

Primare BD32 universal disc player, Sony 700ES cassette, Tascam CD-RW4U CD recorder.

Primare Pre60, R32 phono stage, A60 power amp, Aston Simba satellite receiver. Mains regenerator.

Melco, Tag McLaren T32R FM/DAB tuner, WD MyBook Live NAS.

Technics 1200G.

The cupboards instead of Soundstyle racks have tidied things up, and the Pre60 has given the sound more transparency. The plant needs a new home, and I need a rug !

Some changes in the main listening room.

The TV has Chromecast built in, which is useful.

Primare BD32 universal disc player, Sony 700ES cassette, Tascam CD-RW4U CD recorder.

Primare Pre60, R32 phono stage, A60 power amp, Aston Simba satellite receiver. Mains regenerator.

Melco, Tag McLaren T32R FM/DAB tuner, WD MyBook Live NAS.

Technics 1200G.

The cupboards instead of Soundstyle racks have tidied things up, and the Pre60 has given the sound more transparency. The plant needs a new home, and I need a rug !
Are those sound absorbing items behind the Quads?

Are those sound absorbing items behind the Quads?

Nothing professional ! :)
The room is a loft conversion and a very complicated shape because of the chimney and stairs. The left speaker is on the edge of a largish triangular alcove by the fire escape window. Bookcases absorb and diffuse some of the rear sound. The right speaker is hard up against a small alcove behind the access door. It cunningly houses the boxes and foam inserts for the ATC SCM20 towers in the sitting room, covered by a throw ! They do a great job of soaking up the rear reflections.
It probably shouldn't work, but it does. The sound is very transparent with good imaging and bass. The odd, complicated shapes mean that reflections aren't straightforward, and the clutter helps me get away with it.

Not posted a picture since the arrival of the 12ā€ Lancasters. Treated myself to Cooky-renovated speakers to replace the old Cheviots. Everything else unchanged.

Roksan Radius 5, Heed Orbit, Ortofon Rondo Red, Naim CDX, 72, Hicap, 135s and a homemade Raspberry Pi streamer.

Love it, need a report on the Lancasters vs the Cheviots thoughā€¦ :cool:

Love it, need a report on the Lancasters vs the Cheviots thoughā€¦ :cool:
Quite similar really. I tend not to do serious side by side listening comparisons, rather just stick on whatever comes to mind.

These Lancasters are relatively modified with new internal wiring, bracing, tuned ports etc etc. Thereā€™s a thread about the renovation somewhere on here. Search 12R Lancaster. The bass is much more tuneful than the Cheviots and I think there is more realism. I keep getting caught out by things like bells and drums thinking ā€˜Wow, that sounded like it was someone in the roomā€. They might not be as tight overall though. Before I sold the Cheviots we had an evening blasting out a few tunes of my daughters and I did start wondering if I could come up with an excuse to keep both.

There isnā€™t a lot in it and both speakers are streets ahead of anything else Iā€™ve had in my ancient old Naim system (Naim, Neat, Shahinian among others).

Iā€™ve said it on here before. I originally bought tannoy speakers for my second Sugden system, tried them in the main system out of curiosity and Iā€™ve never looked back.

Are the Obs significantly directional at low frequencies to make toe-in necessary? A speaker I have yet to try.
They're a notoriously challenging speaker to match with an amp. It's not just that their impedance curve drops to something like 2ohm in the lower registers; even when you use an amp with a lot of current on hand they can still sound like there's something missing. I auditioned them three years ago when building my new system and tried them with a range of amps, the most capable and expensive of which was the Rega Osiris. I was so underwhelmed even though I'd come to that audition fully expecting to buy them (i'd always wanted them but couldn't afford the amp needed - at the time I would have had to also upgraded my NAP200 to a NAP250).
But get them right and they are glorious. Dynavector and Exposure worked really well with them as did anything from a NAP250 upwards from Naim.

All change at Lurch Towers.
Gone are the MFA Baby Ref, GamuT D200, Lector CDP7TL, & ML Summits.
In comes SF Toy Towers, IA ST40 SE & AudioLab 6000CDT.
Oh, and Kallax + CD storage moved to bedroom, I'm still getting used to the extra space.

TFBipaZ.jpg
Can you link to TT light. It isn't battery-powered, is it?

All change at Lurch Towers.
Gone are the MFA Baby Ref, GamuT D200, Lector CDP7TL, & ML Summits.
In comes SF Toy Towers, IA ST40 SE & AudioLab 6000CDT.
Oh, and Kallax + CD storage moved to bedroom, I'm still getting used to the extra space.

TFBipaZ.jpg
Lurch how are you getting on with the Logans gone and the Sonus Fabers in ?
I ask as I use Maggy 1.7 i and due to my cat climbing up one after 2 years of not and not risking damage so I I get them out at weekends.
So I am using some old Focal Profil 77 floorstanders in the week and really enjoying them not the height in soundstage of the Mags but really enjoyable and lower bass.I always thought that panels would be forever but now ...I am not so sure.

Cheers Ian

Unfortunately the MLs haven't yet gone, they're in an alcove in the bedroom awaiting a buyer. However to answer your Q, I am loving the SFs with the ST40. Where the MLs threw the music at me, at times, with the SFs the music has taken on a more natural less frenzied, more human presentation. The sound is still detailed & fast with bass impact but is also rich and slightly lush (upper bass & mids I guess) definitely not missing the MLs that's for sure, is also nice to have most of my room back šŸ˜Š

advertisement

Back