advertisement

Linn Utopik power supply

I was sort of hoping that this thread would be about the new power supply, preferably a debate led by those who knew something about it or had even heard it. To that end I made my own modest contribution which finds itself amongst a debate about Linn and a rant about turntables. It seems as though this forum is a place for those who like sitting on thorns and don't want to move.

If only Linn had put their upgraded power supply in an external box so they could sell you an expensive connection cable too. Also they should have had the case designed by a continental, put a couple of voltmeters on it, had it made in Asia, and included a triode in it somewhere. And charged a much higher price.

Anyway thank you guys, some of you, for reminding my why I contribute very rarely to hifi forums these days.....

Donuk

Can it be self-installed? I imagine it’s just some screws and a cable. It’s a right pain going to a dealer to do something trivial

PS: thank you for your contribution. I can’t imagine OrganiK can be improved on, but there’s only one way to find out!

Can it be self-installed? I imagine it’s just some screws and a cable. It’s a right pain going to a dealer to do something trivial

PS: thank you for your contribution. I can’t imagine OrganiK can be improved on, but there’s only one way to find out!
I understand the new product comes with a guarantee which might prohibit self installation.

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised if it's Linn dealer installation only being a internal electrical product. Probably dealer fitment factored in the price.

Kinda lost the thread of what this is amongst the +/- Linn chat..

What is this..? Is it a new internal power supply for the LP12?

👍

It’s a replacement for the Brilliant PSU , so will likely be getting rolled out to all their electronics eventually. Currently only available for streamers.

A friend who has heard one says it’s much quieter, though I struggle to hear how that’s possible given how quiet the brilliant is.

It’s good to see Linn continuing to innovate and manufacture in the UK - and provide an upgrade scheme for older products.

Linn are not perfect by any means but If you don’t like Linn then just ignore it and listen to some music instead…….on your Chinese land fill DAC 😎😃 ….. only kidding !

I have installed many Dynamiks into 5125s and 2250s. I thought they made a worthwhile improvement. I wouldn't have any qualms about installing one of these, I don't think. Things move on, and retro- compatible power supply improvements are something to be thankful for. I hope they are made available for my Uphoriks and improve them significantly. I've had my money's worth out of them regardless and I've still found no more satisfying and versatile phono stage after more than a decade of shoot-outs.

Linn gave me a set of Chakra crossover cards with my first Uphorik, which made it a terrific deal, after I part exchanged my Linto. In fact the free card deal did not apply to Uphoriks, but my dealer and I misunderstood the phrase "with any Linn amplifier", so Linn did the decent thing. Thoroughly decent.

You don't have to buy power supply upgrades - it's entirely optional, and the old ones are very good too. As had been said, this is better than landfill churn.

Surely the truth is what each of us hear?
I don’t question what you hear or anyone else does.
I am retired now so not much money for hi fi but in 50 years of playing with audio, modifying equipment and building my own amplifiers I have heard very few so called massive upgrades.
I don’t mind being called neurotic and I love listening to my records as much as most people.
I am just thankful that I don’t feel the the need to keep buying (the emperor’s) new clothes.
I'm not married to Linn. Despite this, I've still had an LP12 for 43 years with all the changes. Each of us has his own requirements, free of his personal respectable opinions. My opinion is that each upgrade has been justified by the additional pleasure felt and the rediscovery of my vinyl. My first LP12 from 1980 suited me perfectly, thanks to the many upgrades that I admit were sometimes expensive, I still have the LP12 and the music I love for my old age; I have listened to other great turntables, but I still have an LP12 and my Linn Isobarik DMS/PMS, all my other equipment is faithful old Naim Olive.

I honestly wish I had never made that comment about Linn and Neurotik.
We all have our audio priorities and I have no right to question anyone else’s, so I apologise for that.
All i can say is that if I had say upwards of a £1000 pounds to spend on a turntable, I would keep my LP12 exactly as it is and buy a Garrard or TD124 or maybe a nice new Rega.
I like the looks of the Technics decks but I have had a couple of direct drives here and still own a very powerful DJ deck but they sound CD like and tonally grey to me.
Maybe that’s a generalisation too so is will bow out and not cause any more offence on this thread.
Sorry…

The pricing of a lot of new Linn electronics seems insane, but I very much doubt they're making Apple levels of ROI. The Kairn Phono with slimline PS and the digital pre amp known as both the Exotik DA and Akurate/0 remain two of the best hi fi products I've used.

advertisement

Back