advertisement

7 Year Old Car - Flog or Keep?

A local taxi driver in an Auris told me that Toyota hybrids are good for 300K miles!

I think I'm going to keep it for another year or so. I like the way it drives, sort of gentle but effective. I must be one of the few who likes the CVT box. S-Woman has a 19 plate Corolla and it drives better in the ways that matter to journos, but not to me - they made it more like a "normal" car. That said, I think I'll test drive a Mk5 RAV and wait for the dealer to make me an offer I can't refuse. That usually takes a few iterations/months.

So my plan of action is to replace the rear discs and pads and have a damn good look at the nearside parking brake to see if I can figure out why the offside one doesn't work. If I can't fix it then it can go to a local garge to be fixed. The front brakes have another mm on the pads so can wait a bit longer.
Actually my local garage told me that I could run the pads right down to zero and since I use 1mm per year, I've got 3 years left on these ones!

Having been in the used car market very recently, based on the insane prices being asked of total rubbish I'd be inclined to keep it.

local taxi told me the drive train in his Auris was good for 300k miles - but the interior isn't

Having been in the used car market very recently, based on the insane prices being asked of total rubbish I'd be inclined to keep it.
Good point!
Additionally, thinking back to a Top Gear article about the remnants of fluids they found in 2nd hand cars 🤮

As they say "each to their own."
My last three cars have been new Hondas, they're "bullet-proof." a Civic LSI, in 1995, traded in when I took early retirement in 1998 for a CRV. Traded that in 2005 for another CRV, I've still got it. Since then my mileage each year has been very low. I've only done 64,000 miles. I've had to have the front pads replaced and the discs and pads at the back. I've also had a new clutch cylinder and a battery. But apart from tyres, that's it. Everything on it works. I have it serviced every year,
Mostly short journeys means, I only get 23 mpg. But as I don't do many miles, I'm not bothered.
It's reliable, lives on our drive and starts first time, every time. I could afford to buy another, but why bother?

Similar situation here. 8 year old but absolutely reliable car - do I need a new one - no.
Pads and discs are just a consumable, get it done when needed.
Pads are normally 10mm or so when new. If there's 3mm left then that's 30%...draw your own conclusions on whether they need changing now? Any mention on the MOT?

Last edited:
I bought my car 18 years ago when it was 6 months old I will run it until the wheels fall off or it is not economic to fix it or get it fixed.

I don't now about you but although I use my car daily to commute it probably spends 99% of the time parked up. I don' t care where I park it and don't care what happens to it. When I was younger I used to love to drive but now I find no joy in driving - the roads are appalling, the traffic is terrible and 'some' roads users seem to come from another planet. If I lived in a big city I would happily dump my car for good, so I say keep it and spend your money on travelling, or a hobby you enjoy, or fine wine, food etc. etc.

(FWIW this question has been sparked off my the car coming back from the MOT with a handbrake problem).

That was the reason for my 14 y.o. Fabia estate to have its first MOT fail in August. Complete overhaul of the rear brakes and it passed; I could immediately feel the effect too. My discs have been 'warned' about for at least 3 years (pitted, of course) but garage says not to worry and I haven't been anyway.

You will be paying more in a dealership garage; I changed to independent but still Skoda/VW based) about 6 years ago and noticed the difference in cost. With new tyres and knowledge of its history, I'd be tempted that getting ESSENTIAL repairs after being reassessed by a good independent is going to be much more cost-effective than getting a new one. That is, unless you fancy a change and don't care about outlay and another dose of depreciation.

The RAV has been 100% reliable until the last MOT when it came back with the handbrake feeling like it had been tightened up too much. We then went away for a couple of weeks and afterwards the offside parking brake was stuck on. Long story short: I had to fix it myself and found that one of the pins that holds the brake shoe spring had sheared off, jamming up the whole thing. I suspect that the MOT man had banged the parking brake on whilst the wheels were still spinning and stressed everything. The pin was corroded, so TBH, it was going to happen at some time. I've replaced both pins but now the parking brake doesn't work at all on the offside. I've adjusted the shoe position correctly but it seems that the brake lever doesn't pull the cable. However I can't find anything wrong with the cable :confused:. There seems to be no way of adjusting just one cable, only the front cable - which does both sides.

The pads and discs are all original. I really must stop driving like Miss Daisy and actually use the disc brakes instead of doing it all with progressive driving and regen.

I bought my car 18 years ago when it was 6 months old I will run it until the wheels fall off or it is not economic to fix it or get it fixed.

I don't now about you but although I use my car daily to commute it probably spends 99% of the time parked up. I don' t care where I park it and don't care what happens to it. When I was younger I used to love to drive but now I find no joy in driving - the roads are appalling, the traffic is terrible and 'some' roads users seem to come from another planet. If I lived in a big city I would happily dump my car for good, so I say keep it and spend your money on travelling, or a hobby you enjoy, or fine wine, food etc. etc.
Agreed!!

I would get 1000X more pleasure from spending £8K on a new E-MTB compared to £25K on a newer car!

I've had about 15 new cars as a company car driver. The thrill of a new car doesn't last long. I'm still absolutely chuffed with my 2 year old £6K EMTB. The moment I can get one that's a decent chunk better I will be having one!

@S-Man some experience from me in the last week.

My VW Arteon went to VW main dealer for an oil service and inspection.

£204.

The inspection report showed £2600 work required. 4 tyres and all discs and pads. Plus a sunroof service!

I'll do the sunroof service myself on this 57k mile car.

I knew the tyres were close, but as I've been ill, they weren't driven on much. But I knew I wanted a different brand. All 4 for £590 fitted instead of £1200 (VW)

For you and your brakes, try:

CLICKMECHANIC

They came to my driveway and fitted 4 Brembo discs and pads, all for £411 (VW £1200).

Try them. Very competitive and will do all your jobs (either driveway or take it to their garage).

They are nationwide.

This was last Monday so I used them again for my son's Polo. Oil change service and inspection ironically.

VW £204

CLICKMECHANIC £85 (with invoice and service book stamped)

I'm in Worcestershire so unsure for your area.

We have two Audis…..
The A6 is 2003 vintage, 170K miles on the clock.
The TT is 2005 vintage, 120K miles on the clock.

Both have been well looked after and well serviced.

Amazingly(?), both are London (and others) ULEZ compliant.

The A6 may need to go. Why? Only coz the bloody air-con is duff

Last edited:
I've always been stupid with cars and have had them all. Bought my current 10 year old Golf about three years ago thinking I'd be doing short journeys, am I bugger! Anyhow resisted buying something else. Feel good now because I remind myself that an old car is a greener car. Hoping It will keep me on the straight and narrow.

@S-Man some experience from me in the last week.

My VW Arteon went to VW main dealer for an oil service and inspection.

£204.

The inspection report showed £2600 work required. 4 tyres and all discs and pads. Plus a sunroof service!

I'll do the sunroof service myself on this 57k mile car.

I knew the tyres were close, but as I've been ill, they weren't driven on much. But I knew I wanted a different brand. All 4 for £590 fitted instead of £1200 (VW)

For you and your brakes, try:

CLICKMECHANIC

They came to my driveway and fitted 4 Brembo discs and pads, all for £411 (VW £1200).

Try them. Very competitive and will do all your jobs (either driveway or take it to their garage).

They are nationwide.

This was last Monday so I used them again for my son's Polo. Oil change service and inspection ironically.

VW £204

CLICKMECHANIC £85 (with invoice and service book stamped)

I'm in Worcestershire so unsure for your area.
Good prices!
I will take a look.

Toyota prices are fair. Sometimes actually cheaper than some local garages.

German car dealers seem to like plenty of margin!!

advertisement

Back