advertisement

£60,000, cartridge, anyone,

graystoke4

pfm Member
Hi, received my HiFi News, mag today, and they are reviewing,a DS Audio Grand Master EX, cartridge, all 4 pages of it, this is an Optical pick-up, so you also get a huge power supply, in one box, and a energiser/equaliser, in identical casing,
Pricing goes like this, £18,995, for the cartridge and £42,200, for the PSU and equaliser, reviewed by Ken Kessler and Paul Miller, do they like it, OOooo, yes they do,
Not read the whole review properly, but they do not state what TT was used, which i thought was a bit strange, and what the rest of the system was,
It does have a canti-lever and needle one piece design, which i have never heard of, but then again i'm not a great TT, guru, here is a link, https://ds-audio-w.biz/products/1118/

I mean it’s a lot of cash, I can’t afford it, still curious though. I’ll be brave and put on my big girl pants to plough through a few pages of review. Bring on the ridicule!

Heard one of these carts 2 yrs ago with the Grandmaster energiser at Guildford hifi on a Tech Das ll/Graham Hantom combo, when I went to audition a pair of used ML Summits (which I bought) it was a very impressive detailed, airy expressive sound with awesome soundstaging. Definitely a memorable couple of hours listening, though my Bardo/12" Enterprise4/Koetsu RSP/BB3 combo got me about 80% of the way there when I fired it up on getting home.

I'm intrigued by this photo-electric conversion technology. I’m now wondering if some sort of optical system using, say, a laser beam could read the hills and hollers on a CD.

Well, wouldn't that be something, not that I could afford it. But, given time, I bet this laser technology will trickle down to the masses.

Joe

advertisement

Back