advertisement

The IMF Super Compact II’s were in the way - despite now being at the edges of the room, they sound far better than they should o_O :)

IMG-1350.jpg

Nice rug BT!

I bet Jasper Carrott sounds ace on that set up, especially on vinyl :p

:)

I have had that in the Headway Charity shop for a couple of months - No biters at just 50p. and it is nr/mint.
It is a pile that will go for rotation to other Headway shops.
All those piles of 7” Single are Headway stock which has been cleared - now waiting for grading and price, or I have another stack that are solid nrMint Beatles, Rollng Stones, The Kinks etc. that will easy fetch a tenner++ They will go online or I will find a way to sell them in the charity shop. Unbelievably clean 45’s in original sleeves. nice.

Question: When I got the IMF’s about 20 yrs. ago, the seller mentioned that the tweeters had been replaced with KEF units. I never investigated this.
Since playing them yesterday, I noticed that there was a poor seal between the tweeter units and the baffle, sorted that today.
I had to remove the units, and it turns out that they are Peerless tweeters, made in Denmark.

Is this a positive thing?

I am not aware of the brand.
They sound excellent.
There is a label on the back of each one with a barcode, and cat. no, (810665)

Close-up

3-E65789-E-A1-FB-460-B-A259-8785-DADBF473.jpg

IMF used quite a few Peerless units, including the legendary KO40MRF midrange in the TLS80. That midrange looks similar but not the same. Maybe that one doesn’t have the ‘can’ behind it.

IMF used quite a few Peerless units, including the legendary KO40MRF midrange in the TLS80. That midrange looks similar but not the same. Maybe that one doesn’t have the ‘can’ behind it.

It has a long tube behind it, if that is what you mean?

I have seen the mid-range on some Compacts that is more like the mid-range on my ALS Studio 40 II’s, which have deteriorated on mine.

The mids on my Super Compacts have a rubber outer ring, and are great /intact.

The KO40s had a really nice design, where the flange was part of the rear cast ‘can’ which was essentially a closed cabinet. The speaker bit was built in to it, including a rear mounted neodymium magnet, so no issues with basket resonances. But yes, the foam used for the surround quickly fell apart. I doubt there are any true originals left.

AGON_EBAY_10-16-15_081.JPG

The originals didn’t look like this, so I guess these examples have been refoamed.

I’ve actually made a change for the first time in a long while! I’ve swapped my active Ninkas for active Kabers, they just work better in this room.
As much as I love the Ninkas, the bass was always overwhelming in this room, the Kabers are a better fit.

y4HTngA.jpg

Oh and I have a new woofer too!

QadJJgM.jpg

I have had Jasper Carrott in the Headway Charity shop for a couple of months - No biters at just 50p. and it is nr/mint.
It is a pile that will go for rotation to other Headway shops.

I'll see your Jasper Carrott and raise you an autographed copy of Fred Wedlocks Oldest Swinger in Town! (Found in a pile of records I'm storing for an old friend)

I'll see your Jasper Carrott and raise you an autographed copy of Fred Wedlocks Oldest Swinger in Town! (Found in a pile of records I'm storing for an old friend)

I threw away a Grumbleweeds album last week. I didn’t check for autographs!

The IMF Super Compact II’s were in the way - despite now being at the edges of the room, they sound far better than they should o_O :)

IMG-1350.jpg

Correction - the smaller speakers are IMF Super Compacts (1973 - 1980)
not the II’s

How are you finding the Impulse
I have a pair
Fantastic speakers
I'm enjoying their many positives. Coming from little ATCs they're really quite different, much easier to position, more extended bass, richer mids and they have clarity in the treble without feeling bright. Everything seems more live, in the room and exciting but not obviously wrong in anyway. They do make the SCM10 seem extremely neutral. In some ways they remind me of LS3/5a with that mid range presence.

They can be upgraded as well
I got mine from Phil Hifinut (great fella)and they have been highly nodded
I went to listen to them for a friend,who 2as in two minds about buying a pair and they were that good,I brought them home
Absolutely fantastic things

advertisement

Back