advertisement

Addis pads - probably the greatest single upgrade ever…in the world!

Have you thought about exploring the possibility of these pads as room tuning devices?,
think Shun Mook or Harmonix used to produce pads where you strategically stick on walls to great effect.

I had no idea such a thing existed... and wow, those Harmonix things are crazy expensive! At £2.50 per Addis mat, I could cover my whole house with pads - inside and out - for a tenner and still have some left for my hifi lol

Seriously, I suppose you could take some pads, or even whole mats, and hang them around the room on the walls and use them as diffusers. Mmm

I had no idea such a thing existed... and wow, those Harmonix things are crazy expensive! At £2.50 per Addis mat, I could cover my whole house with pads - inside and out - for a tenner and still have some left for my hifi lol

Seriously, I suppose you could take some pads, or even whole mats, and hang them around the room on the walls and use them as diffusers. Mmm

Single? :)

The addis phenomenon shalt not be likened to any previous “similar” hifi trend because for the first time in modern hifi history noone here seeks to make a profit from it. It is free. HiFi Faith in something is usually strengthened by having invested a fair amount in it. More investment, more faith. In this case, if you can’t be arsed to try it, fair enough but if the itch won’t disappear, you don’t need to tell anyone about your moment of weakness. It just entails sticking 4 coin-like discs with a pimple on top under the four corners of any one component in your system and listen to just one song. Your muzak will become more interesting: the lead instrument will have taken a step forward; those cymbals will have more shimmer and less splash; there will be an oboe in somwhere with the cellos, a couple of tympani over by the exit sign and most of all- the singers mic will be working and you will understand the lyrics as language that contains words you recognise as such.

One thing I'm not sure about wrt the combo is whether it colours the end sound as well as doing all the other stuff like cleaning everything up etc. I think there is some colouration going on so It seems to me there are three possibilities: a) it colours the end sound; b) it's sonically transparent and doesn't colour the end sound, but it behaves as a conduit to allow the supporting structure to colour the end sound; or c) it colours the end sound and it also behaves as a conduit to allow the supporting structure to colour the end sound.

It's hard to say which it is, but I think it might be C as the effect sounds a bit different with my bedroom system which isn't on mana. Then again, I've got different speakers in there so I suppose it's bound to sound quite different from my living room system. Anyway, just something I've been thinking about,

I think of it as a restoration process for an old masterpiece, previously dingy brown and now with an extended palette. Yes, of course it colours the sound we are used to hearing but that sound was nothing like the original. Its all “done with mirrors” anyway. I’ve never had the chance to hear a master tape but for forty odd years I’ve been reading that our systems are nowhere near sounding real and when you go to a concert it’s blatantly obvious. With the Addis comboes in place my brain receives extra input which it translates into a nicer, more complete feeling than before
I hold it akin with the blue belt, insoles instead of springs and now Addis. A new appreciation of the possibilities of my system for free (comparatively speaking). What’ll be next in my New Age?

I think of it as a restoration process for an old masterpiece, previously dingy brown and now with an extended palette. Yes, of course it colours the sound we are used to hearing but that sound was nothing like the original. Its all “done with mirrors” anyway. I’ve never had the chance to hear a master tape but for forty odd years I’ve been reading that our systems are nowhere near sounding real and when you go to a concert it’s blatantly obvious. With the Addis comboes in place my brain receives extra input which it translates into a nicer, more complete feeling than before
I hold it akin with the blue belt, insoles instead of springs and now Addis. A new appreciation of the possibilities of my system for free (comparatively speaking). What’ll be next in my New Age?

That's a cracking way to describe the effect: a restoration process for an old masterpiece. Brilliant!

I've now got my 1210GR at phase 10 in terms of the combo. I've got nine layers of nine circles (the noughts and crosses thing) stacked nine high and I've put a single pad+bumper on top of each of the middle columns. Once again, there's a striking increase in all that the combo does... except that for the first time, it seems like the combo has taken some of the zip and snap away. Not much, but the music I've played so far seems slightly lacking in top speed, as it were. It still sounds really organic and really enjoyable and all that, but it might well be that phase 10 is a phase or two too high. Maybe phase 7 is where it's at for my 1210GR.

I've now got my 1210GR at phase 10 in terms of the combo. I've got nine layers of nine circles (the noughts and crosses thing) stacked nine high and I've put a single pad+bumper on top of each of the middle columns. Once again, there's a striking increase in all that the combo does... except that for the first time, it seems like the combo has taken some of the zip and snap away. Not much, but the music I've played so far seems slightly lacking in top speed, as it were. It still sounds really organic and really enjoyable and all that, but it might well be that phase 10 is a phase or two too high. Maybe phase 7 is where it's at for my 1210GR.
Would you be able to post a photo of this arrangement?

The phase 10 stack beneath my 1210GR, comprising 82 pads + 1 bumper :)

52894749474_fd0181505a_c.jpg

I bought some Addis pads and bumpers. I move back into my house after 8 months with the in-laws whilst we were doing an extension. Speakers are going in the new living room. New living room getting carpet to accommodate said speakers. There'll be granite chopping boards. The partington stands will be mounted on spikes into little Russ Andrews wooden cones. I think the pads and bumpers will go between the bottom of the cone and the granite plinth. I'll see if iso puck mini or blu track is better under speakers.
Can't wait to get my stereo back out of storage and set up

advertisement

Back