advertisement

The Coffee Thread

The “name of food” is where you’ll see whether beer is “wheat beer” or “wheat beer with added ...”, but on many beers that will be on the back label, or down the seam of the can print, where it’s not very noticeable.
Alcoholic beverages do appear to be exempt from at least some of these requirements - last time I cared to look, I saw that liqueurs did not have to list their ingredients in the way that other foods or drinks do, and until recently beer didn’t have to provide nutritional information.
I don't think any alcoholic beverage has to have a list of ingredients. Some manufacturers may choose to, of course. Likewise nutrition. In fact I don't think that nutrition is a requirement on any food unless you are making a claim, certainly that was the case years ago. Again you may choose to.

The ingredients list on beer has to follow the same rules as other drinks, but that won’t tell you whether something was added before or after the beer was brewed.
As I say I think it's optional, but as you say they won't necessarily tell you when it went in.

(I’m Irish, but our food labelling laws, like the UK’s, are mostly the result of five decades worth of European Directives, and before that they were always at least as strict as the UK’s, given that the UK is the largest market for Irish food and drink.)
Well, we did occasionally have an outbreak of common sense and align our laws with our neighbours and trading partners. Then 17 million bloody idiots decided that we were better off doing it all by ourselves, because it was "the will of the people".

Well, we did occasionally have an outbreak of common sense and align our laws with our neighbours and trading partners. Then 17 million bloody idiots decided that we were better off doing it all by ourselves, because it was "the will of the people".
Actually it was the current bunch of shysters who decided that, if you want get to into Brexit. Again.

Last edited:
What’s everyone’s thoughts on this please?
I have just emailed them.
Thought I’d try a different roaster, Iron & Fire, preground for pour-over.
It’s come very course, 300ml of water is going though 16/18mg in just over two mins.
I’m used to around three mins thirty secs.
It goes though so quick I can’t even give it a stir or swirl.
Before and after pics.
gqqdEQL.jpg

V7Fftmg.jpg

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this please?
I have just emailed them.
Thought I’d try a different roaster, Iron & Fire, preground for pour-over.
It’s come very course, 300ml of water is going though 16/18mg in just over two mins.
I’m used to around three mins thirty secs.
It goes though so quick I can’t even give it a stir or swirl.
Before and after pics.
gqqdEQL.jpg

V7Fftmg.jpg
Too coarse for pourover. You won't get any extraction in the time available.

interesting Chinese coffee

20230512-084529.jpg

really does taste of black tea in an espresso. Mind need to grind a tad finer next time

like to try thst one, getting a bit bored with
interesting Chinese coffee

20230512-084529.jpg

really does taste of black tea in an espresso. Mind need to grind a tad finer next time

like to try that one Simon, may have to invest in a grinder. are there any reasonably priced ones about that you know of

like to try thst one, getting a bit bored with

like to try that one Simon, may have to invest in a grinder. are there any reasonably priced ones about that you know of

i am sure there are - depends on what you call reasonable? but you can get very good hand grinders for not alot (i should say hand grinding is not for me)

I’m hand grinding exclusively at the moment with the 1zpresso K-Max having sold the Niche Zero and awaiting the Duo. Harder at espresso fineness mechanically and less shot to shot consistency than 15+ years of Macap, Mazzer, Ceado and Niche but it’s ok, the Vesuvius is on a straight 9-bar shot as pressure profiling needs an even finer grind.

Talking of coffee I have 5kg greens of each of Colombian, Bolivian, Honduran and I forget the other arriving next week. So 7 or 8 different beans to roast over the coming months which is always fun exploring.

And I must contact the London school of coffee in Putney to arrange the latte art course which was a nice birthday present gifted to me recently.

I bought from an artisanal roaster along the street from my tea supplier recently. The coffee tasted and had the odour of rancid milk as did the beans when the bag was opened.

Or a high funk natural processed coffee from somewhere like Ethiopia. One of our group buys at work years ago was so funky literally nobody could drink it.

advertisement

Back