advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

But wouldn’t many behind him have passed while he did the mandatory pit stop? Even more than in the spread out racing situation?
Under safety car, fewer cars pass because they’re all going slower. Pit lane speed limit stays the same.

I wouldn’t, it’s just heat of the moment stuff and it’s been going on as long as I have watched the sport. It’ll all have blown over in a couple of hours time when the race is done. Just egos talking and let’s face it… you don’t get to drive at the very top of F1 without some sort of inflated ego. It’s what makes them top drivers… that overwhelming belief that they are the best.

I see no difference between Max Verstappen and Ayrton Senna.
"I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's." Ayrton Senna

Under safety car, fewer cars pass because they’re all going slower. Pit lane speed limit stays the same.

Ah, is that the virtual safety situation? They all are immediately speed limited? As opposed to a real safety car situation where they all seem to bunch up behind it - in such a way that pitting would be worse?

Ah, is that the virtual safety situation? They all are immediately speed limited? As opposed to a real safety car situation where they all seem to bunch up behind it - in such a way that pitting would be worse?
Both the same, if one driver is going to pit. As long as the other cars staying on track are going slower (behind the safety car OR with virtual safety car), it will work to the advantage of the driver going for a pit stop. Anyone who has watch F1 over the years will have seen this in action many times. It’s another random curved ball that’s thrown into the mix, and Hamilton lost a few places today because he went into the pits, came out, and shortly after there was a safety car. So almost everyone else pitted, and gained on or passed Hamilton.

Just caught up. Very well done PER, I think that was one of his best performances ever, it was a champion like drive, took all the chances, made them stick and had the raw speed. He does like the track but he really had the pace today to match VER and managed the race well. As far as the rest, they were in a different race really but some decent racing amongst them. A little better than expected but 2023 is a RB benefit.

Did I mention I don’t like sprint race weekends?

It feels to me there was less action/racing, compared to previous years. But might just be watching it twice this weekend. Maybe Alonso didn't know his tyres were good enough to try longer and harder because of lack of FP, according to Leclerc Ferrari didn't improve, so others were unable to profit from Ferrari's tyre degradation. Also I normally find quali more exciting to watch than this sprintrace I was able to watch Saturday, was at work during both quali's.

If we think back to, say, the mid-80s.

16 races for the season.

Because there were only 16 races, every point (9, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1) counted and therefore every race was important. If Mansell overtook Senna or Prost, we remembered it.

Now?

23 races, and points awarded down to 10th place. Plus the sprint races, with I don’t know what points awarded. And DRS often making overtakes a formality, not something to fight hard for.

So, for me, the whole thing is diluted. Very little matters much now.

A lot of level headed nothingness really

Pretty sure it was mentioned in the commentary that there were RedBull mechanics on the wall prior to the chequered flag. It’s certainly common to see teams wave their winning driver as he passes and also common for team members to go from garage to pit wall crossing the live pit lane.
There was certainly appeared to be a road block of photographers when Oco arrived at the pit entrance but I never saw any onboard footage to show the impact of them being there.

One thing I did notice today was 220mph top speed at one point, fast for a street track even though due to the length of the straight it never appeared that fast on camera!

Definately tooo many races these days ,I used to look forward to them a lot more when there were less . I now just watch highlights and often fast forward those !

If we think back to, say, the mid-80s.

16 races for the season.

Because there were only 16 races, every point (9, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1) counted and therefore every race was important. If Mansell overtook Senna or Prost, we remembered it.

Now?

23 races, and points awarded down to 10th place. Plus the sprint races, with I don’t know what points awarded. And DRS often making overtakes a formality, not something to fight hard for.

So, for me, the whole thing is diluted. Very little matters much now.

It's not just that though is it? Back in the mid-80s we didn't have all this restricted numbers of engines, gearboxes, tyres etc. I know F1 needs to cut costs but I am sure the cost of completely changing the regs every 5 or so years is massively higher than allowing teams to use a few more engines or tyres in a season... and it would make for better racing. Conserving tyres or engines or gearboxes has always been part of F1, but it's just too much a part of it now for me.

It's not just that though is it? Back in the mid-80s we didn't have all this restricted numbers of engines, gearboxes, tyres etc. I know F1 needs to cut costs but I am sure the cost of completely changing the regs every 5 or so years is massively higher than allowing teams to use a few more engines or tyres in a season... and it would make for better racing. Conserving tyres or engines or gearboxes has always been part of F1, but it's just too much a part of it now for me.

Agreed. I think the regulations are too restrictive in many ways. While fuel, car and tyre management / preservation have always happened to a degree, the phases where they happen in modern gp’s are too frequent and too long, which kills exciting racing. Adding and now retaining DRS has made overtaking at the end of straights too easy, and killed off inventiveness and skills, like we saw flashes of from Alonso yesterday.
The introduction of sprint races was an attempt to regain some of the excitement, but as it is run by the same regs and the same cars, which must be preserved for the gp yet can’t be worked on much in parc ferme conditions, the sprints are inevitably as dull and processional as the main race, just shorter.
I think F1 needs to show some benefits or technological development that is useful in other real world situations, e.g. hybrid power, energy recovery, regenerative braking, crash protection, but I am less convinced by the need to drastically reduce and cap costs. F1 is meant to be the pinnacle of motorsport. If you want a one-make series there are plenty of others available already. The cost cap and the restrictions on in-season development contribute towards killing the excitement, as they set the course of events from the first race, and there isn’t much the teams can do to recover or advance their performance. This means Haas, Williams, Alfa Romeo Sauber, McLaren and Alpha Tauri once again will be languishing in the bottom half of the table with little chance of improvement for the whole season. Alpine, Mercedes, Ferrari and (a very fortunate) Aston Martin will spend all year back and forth with each other, fighting over points from 3rd to 10th, but have no realistic chances of regularly beating RB, and so the die is set for another year.
I appreciate the teams probably can’t go back to dragging 4 cars plus spares for 2 more to every event, and there is little value in 1,500 bhp quali engines, that grenade themselves after 50 miles, but there has to be a better compromise than the current system. For a driver to suffer multiple penalties because of a failed gearbox bearing does nothing to improve the show.

He arrived and didn't lift when the pit limiter kicked in. Quite right. Video here.
Maybe IanW can say how pit limiters work, is there the option lift or is the car controlling the throttle? Of course he could stop. I’m wondering whether modulating speed with the limiter is a bit tricky. Also, having slowed from 300kph to 80kph Ocon will have felt like he was standing still, the team say he could have stopped if he needed to. I sure his brakes were warm enough.

342984373_1542598056263312_334480443906564408_n.jpg

Maybe IanW can say how pit limiters work, is there the option lift or is the car controlling the throttle? Of course he could stop. I’m wondering whether modulating speed with the limiter is a bit tricky. Also, having slowed from 300kph to 80kph Ocon will have felt like he was standing still, the team say he could have stopped if he needed to. I sure his brakes were warm enough.
When the pitlane limiter is engaged the revs cannot go above a certain rotational speed in 1st gear, until the limiter is disengaged. Coming off the throttle (once the engine power is below what is required to maintain the pit lane limiter speed) will slow the car down as would hitting the brakes. The rev limiter is carefully tuned during the weekend to get as close as possible to the speed trap penalty speed.

advertisement

Back