advertisement

Gary Lineker vs. BBC

Bastani is simply wrong. We don’t look to Lineker as a fully formed, coherent and consistent political response to the excesses of a completely out of control, hard-right government. He is simply a bloke with liberal sentiments and a humanitarian consciousness who is using his considerable reach to highlight what he (rightly) perceives as injustice, and in that he deserves full support, rather than nit picking over tweets he made some time ago. Moreover, Lineker, Rashford et al are only filling the void left by Starmer’s New, New Labour’s complete inability to represent any meaningful opposition to the Tories.

And @Tony L is in danger of sinking into a relativist morass that sees Corbyn and Corbynism as merely the other arse cheek of a political tribalism. Corbyn was not an infallible saint. He made mistakes and had his weaknesses (not least an ideological commitment to Parliament in neglect of the huge social movement that was building behind him). But he was the best hope by a mile of getting rid of this shower of criminals and replacing it with something more humane and equitable.

And @Tony L is in danger of sinking into a relativist morass that sees Corbyn and Corbynism as merely the other arse cheek of a political tribalism. Corbyn was not an infallible saint. He made mistakes and had his weaknesses (not least an ideological commitment to Parliament in neglect of the huge social movement that was building behind him). But he was the best hope by a mile of getting rid of this shower of criminals and replacing it with something more humane and equitable.

He failed. Twice. Against two of the worst Conservative Party opponents and manifestos in the entirety of UK history. To find worse than May and Johnson you have to look to Truss, and even the Tories couldn’t stomach that one!

Political reform needs to start from today and learn from the past. We are where we are right now, not seven years ago. The lessons from the short Corbyn era are many and varied, they do need to be learned, but endlessly blaming those who he totally failed to convince is not the way forward. Only religion has use for martyrs.

He failed. Twice. Against two of the worst Conservative Party opponents and manifestos in the entirety of UK history. To find worse than May and Johnson you have to look to Truss, and even the Tories couldn’t stomach that one!

Political reform needs to start from today and learn from the past. We are where we are right now, not seven years ago. The lessons from the short Corbyn era are many and varied, but endlessly blaming those who he totally failed to convince is not the way forward. Only religion has use for martyrs.
He isn’t a martyr. He gained the biggest swing to Labour since Atlee’s 45 landslide. His policies (which were pretty much indistinguishable from Harold Wilson’s) chimed with millions.

He subsequently faced the full force of an establishment determined to smear him and prevent him ever becoming PM. A very British coup. His biggest mistake was to try to play by their rules, and in that it’s difficult to see how failure could have been avoided. You can’t take on the spooks by playing by their rules. They’ve been at it too long and are far too good at it.

Bastani is simply wrong. We don’t look to Lineker as a fully formed, coherent and consistent political response to the excesses of a completely out of control, hard-right government. He is simply a bloke with liberal sentiments and a humanitarian consciousness who is using his considerable reach to highlight what he (rightly) perceives as injustice, and in that he deserves full support, rather than nit picking over tweets he made some time ago. Moreover, Lineker, Rashford et al are only filling the void left by Starmer’s New, New Labour’s complete inability to represent any meaningful opposition to the Tories.

The real point surely is to get away from Lineker (and Corbyn) and focus attention on the immorality of government policy. Laura K was almost exclusively on Lineker and the BBC, whereas the focus really should be on the fascist language that is foundational to a policy that is inhumane and inhuman

Political reform needs to start from today and learn from the past. We are where we are right now, not seven years ago. The lessons from the short Corbyn era are many and varied, they do need to be learned, but endlessly blaming those who he totally failed to convince is not the way forward. Only religion has use for martyrs.
And now we’re off on another anti Corbyn rant. The issue isn’t Corbyn, it’s the inhumane treatment of asylum seekers

The real point surely is to get away from Lineker (and Corbyn) and focus attention on the immorality of government policy. Laura K was almost exclusively on Lineker and the BBC, whereas the focus really should be on the fascist language that is foundational to a policy that is inhumane and inhuman
In an ideal world yes, of course. But right now, resistance to the Tories vicious immigration proposals is spearheaded by a genial, millionaire, ex-footballer. If Gina Miller is to be believed, Linker is largely responsible for forcing the resignation of a BBC chair, while Starmer gets his knickers in a twist about how ‘workable’ Braverman’s plans are.

If Starmer and Rayner want to get on board and start putting the boot in, I’ll be right behind them. But I’m not holding my breath, so in the meantime I’m staying right behind Gaz.

In an ideal world yes, of course. But right now, resistance to the Tories vicious immigration proposals is spearheaded by a genial, millionaire, ex-footballer. If Gina Miller is to be believed, Linker is largely responsible for forcing the resignation of a BBC chair, while Starmer gets his knickers in a twist about how ‘workable’ Braverman’s plans are.

If Starmer and Rayner want to get on board and start putting the boot in, I’ll be right behind them. But I’m not holding my breath, so in the meantime I’m staying right behind Gaz.
Absolutely, my only point is that the debate is more about GL and the BBC, which is a convenient distraction for the Tories to deflect from discussion of The Issue of their immoral policy.

That's the place to be at the moment - the backlash to the backlash will kickoff soon enough.

MOTD Live Women's Super League seems to have survived the ongoing shitshow.
"The Women’s Super League match between Chelsea and Manchester United is now on air on BBC Two, with world feed commentator Nigel Adderley.

The world feed is not run by the BBC, it is full match commentary designed for a global audience."

Sharp’s appointment reminds me of Trump’s Ambassador to the EU. A flyover state budget hotel chain owner who donated $1m to Trump and in return got the job he was uniquely unqualified for- Chauncey the gardener. Sharp is far more sly and organised but he got the job for the same reasons and is unqualified to hold it.

- the Gerritdun fraternity are out and about. As someone said, “their genes look like they all came from within a three mile radius”.

W6eBbkY.jpg

Thanks Alex, I think that explains the lot from Gary's perspective, it may be a few years ago but it could hardly be more pertinent.
The rules were subsequently tightened to include “High Profile” not just News and Current Affairs. I understand that within the BBC it is expressly known as ‘The Lineker Clause’. Seems to have backfired.

The rules were subsequently tightened to include “High Profile” not just News and Current Affairs. I understand that within the BBC it is expressly known as ‘The Lineker Clause’. Seems to have backfired.

It isn't in the rules as published. it might be in his contract but that seems unlikely. I suspect that Lineker has been told something and he's just ignored it...

Lineker has done something even more important. Created a pfm thread where people are not being unpleasant to each other, even after 15 pages. The Corbyn section was a bit close to the bone, though.

advertisement

Back