advertisement

Films/genres that leave you cold

We can sleep through most films but Moonage Daydream was good.

I think i've reached an age where most plots and production styles have become repetitive.

I don't like horror films much or anything too violent or gory these days. I think I've become too aware of my own mortality!

I've recently discovered how much I like superhero films though. I'm having a great time hoovering up 25p DVDs from charity shops.

X-Men and X2 especially are great and pretty obviously intended as allegories of LGBT persecution.

Anything with dragons and wizards in.
Anything with car chases in
Anything with spurious violence in
Anything with superheroes in
Anything with zombies in.

Last edited:
Not sure there is a whole genre that I dislike, probably horror is the closest that I would not watch.

I dislike bad films and boring films mostly and have got quite picky on what I spend my leisure time doing and will switch off if it is not doing it for me.

I very nearly switched off Enola Holmes 2 recently but was persuaded to stick it out and ended up enjoying it

Tarantino films that feature his creepy man-child obsession with ultra violence...although Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were jaw-dropping at the time...
Scorsese... has made some of my favourite films, but needs to give up his obsession with romanticising the mob. As does De Niro.
Richard Curtis....especially anything featuring a bumbling Hugh Grant...
Any sanitised, spoon-fed Hollywood product.

Anything with dragons and wizards in.
Anything with car chases in
Anything with spurious violence in
Anything with superheroes in

Pretty much my list as well. Can't stand any of the Marvel films. Swordplay grates on my aural sensibilities. Sappy romances do nothing for me. Hacker/slasher/torture films (eg, 'Saw') are useless.

But above all else: any film with Keanu Reeves. The most wooden actor ever deposited on the screen.

I don't like horror films much or anything too violent or gory these days. I think I've become too aware of my own mortality!

I've recently discovered how much I like superhero films though. I'm having a great time hoovering up 25p DVDs from charity shops.

X-Men and X2 especially are great and pretty obviously intended as allegories of LGBT persecution.

I like the Xmen franchise and enjoyed the first Transformers film. Don't really like any others, can't stand Guardians of the Galaxy, which my kids insisted I watch.

Cheers BB

I find it incredible that we have about 20,000 channels but often lose the will to live before we find anything worth watching.

In my memory it was better when we only had four.

Genre-wise - horror. I really don't see the appeal in watching people get maimed and mutilated.

As to specific films, the one that springs to mind is Moulin Rouge - it is the only film I would have walked out of, had I not been wedged in the middle of a row in a packed cinema. Even Nicole Kidman in some highly appealing lingerie couldn't save it for me.

@Neil P

Can you name some sci-fi and sci-fantasy films that you do enjoy?
Blade Runner. Any depiction of future worlds since owes a debt to Blade Runner. Besides it’s brilliant.
My other favourite is Ex Machina. Convincing film about sentient robots - Alicia Vicander is terrific.

Genre-wise - horror. I really don't see the appeal in watching people get maimed and mutilated.

A film doesn't need to have maiming / mutilation to be a classed as a horror. I watched Hacksaw Ridge the other night, a true story about a US Combat Medic who served in Japan during WW2. It's an amazing film - and he was a truly amazing and inspirational person - but it is right up there as one of the most brutal films I have ever seen. Conversely, there are plenty of horror films that don't rely on gore to be frightening.

Brilliant director,
A-List roster of actors,
Jets,
Billion $ production but 150 quid spent on a crappy, clichéd script that would fit on the back of a fag packet.

advertisement

Back