advertisement

Alternatives to hifi specific "racks"

I would suspect the performance of any turntable is affected by the surface it is placed on. The fact that it might not skip on a suspended floor does not prove that it’s performance cannot be improved by placement on a better stand or surface.

I remember the Lenco GL 75 would jump at the thought of someone entering its space, wall bracket was the solution. My current bouncy turntable, 'LP12 look alike' is relatively immune to people clumping about.

I’m sure I’d still go low and wide, but maybe something lighter e.g. something mid-century modern/retro.

Mine.....

F62-EB121-D913-4-FC2-9-D60-F2-D8-C33-E48-FF.jpg

I use a 4 cube Kallax filled with records for my turntable, great solid support ( I can’t use wall bracket in my living room). I put all my other gear on a longer kallax unit, just to separate things a bit.

I would suspect the performance of any turntable is affected by the surface it is placed on. The fact that it might not skip on a suspended floor does not prove that it’s performance cannot be improved by placement on a better stand or surface.

Agreed, but it is IME unwise to associate improvement with wild marketing claims and audiophile price tags. I’d personally take an Ikea Lack over many tables costing £1000s.

We have a Spectral unit for the TV and the electronics, nice, but pricey, although the new power amp now sits on the floor as it's too big for the unit . . .
And a Kallax for the record player, albeit sitting on a wooden shelf on the top.

I’m searching for something also. Heals do some nice units but none are quite what I’m looking for.

Seen this place but you know it’ll be dear.

https://www.avsoul.co.uk/
I own this, which AVSoul (then Stump furniture) built to my specifications. It was £600 including delivery if I remember correctly.

0005-AVSoul-Contemporary-Walnut-AV-Unit-640x0-c-default.jpg

There is no back on the unit and all the shelves are fully adjustable. It came with a spare shelf that I've never used. Here it is in action:
49305659858_13a72d1eab_b.jpg

Agreed, but it is IME unwise to associate improvement with wild marketing claims and audiophile price tags. I’d personally take an Ikea Lack over many tables costing £1000s.

I don’t doubt what you say is likely true. The IKEA Lack table has been recommended by Linn for years for use with the LP12. It qualifies for light and rigid. I myself would prefer to use something with spikes that would allow one to easily adjust the level the of surface the turntable is placed on. Audiotech, Archidee, Sound Organisation and Mana all made a nice dedicated light rigid support ideal for something like an LP12. This is something especially important on a less than solid floor. A light rigid stand on a suspended floor is less likely to store up energy which would adversely affect the turntable had it been on a heavy rack or piece of furniture.

I placed a glass of water on my kitchen island which is very solidly made of oak and has a very heavy soapstone countertop. If I raise off my heals and come down on the floor you can see the water move in response. The same thing with a 700 lb grand piano in the adjacent room. Placing the glass of water on my Mana wall shelf in the same room, no movement whatsoever. Now if that movement made the water move, I’m sure it would have an effect on a needle tracing very small grooves in a record.

My Naim Fraim doesn’t look right with my current set up. May change it for something else at some point.

It’s probably worth looking in flea markets for some 70s g-plan.

If I walk too fast or close the door next to my 124 the music gets a vibrato effect. It’s on a hi-fi racks 4-shelf stand. No idea what the floor is made of, not sure how I’d find out either.

If I walk too fast or close the door next to my 124 the music gets a vibrato effect. It’s on a hi-fi racks 4-shelf stand. No idea what the floor is made of, not sure how I’d find out either.

Stamp a foot.

It’ll almost certainly be either solid concrete or a suspended floor. A suspended floor consists of beams set into walls a foot above the ground, with large planks laid at 90 degrees over them.

If you picture the difference it should be obvious when you stamp that foot.

Oh, and I also have HiFi Racks stands, bought at a time when I lived in a house with solid floors, and no TT.

I now have suspended floors (at least in the old - 1955 - part of the house) and TTs.

Current set-up uses both the one I have for the HiFi and one for the TV. Looks nice IMO, and the Technics doesn’t mind being on top of the four shelves. I’m getting my Roksan Xerxes 20+ shortly, so will see what’s what with it.

Stamp a foot.

It’ll almost certainly be either solid concrete or a suspended floor. A suspended floor consists of beams set into walls a foot above the ground, with large planks laid at 90 degrees over them.

If you picture the difference it should be obvious when you stamp that foot.

Although I would broadly agree with Ian, suspended concrete floors are becoming more common. Although far more rigid than a timber floor, there will be some vibration with this type of flooring.
https://www.cemex.co.uk/suspended-floor-systems

advertisement

Back