advertisement

So who’s put their heating on yet ?

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. I wondered whether folks round these parts had any experience of Hive in reality, they might share?

I’ve had it over two years.
Works faultlessly.
Let’s us prioritise heating the room we are in
Bloody marvellous compared to the old fixed hall stat we had before.
Go out in the evening we can turn the heating on or up as we set off home.

I don't like the wall thermostats so upgraded to Honeywell Evohome with a wireless TRV on each rad, seems to work well.

What's a wireless TRV? They don't have any wires as it is.

It's a fundamental design problem if the bathroom can't be heated individually
Well, mine can, of course, but only by turning down all the TRVs, which is not only onerous but not necessary in this cold weather. I'll have to do that when htg isn't needed generally. In our old gravity system, the bathroom was heated from the cylinder. Downside here was in really hot summer temp's when you can't turn the rad off.

Woke up this morning to the dreaded gurgling noise coming from the boiler cupboard. Condensate pipe had frozen up overnight (-10)

Grabbed the old Laser oil extractor pump from the garage (used to change the oil on the Beemer every year) and cleared the condensate pump sump to get it going again. Then spent far too long outside freezing my nuts off trying to clear the ice in the pipe.

Our boiler’s a Worcester Bosch Highflow 440 installed in 2005. Condensing boilers had only just been introduced back then and the guys that installed it had never done one before so they just ran the flexible 10mm condensate drain pipe through the cavity wall and down into the drain outside in a 20mm plastic white pipe. The thing is , they drilled the holes through the wall on the level so the pipe has an area inside the cavity wall that sits overnight full of water. And it freezes up at anything below -4 or so.

Usually a long blast with the wifes hairdryer into the 25mm hole will clear it but not today. Still -3 out there so I gave up.

The prospect of having to pump out the condensate sump every hour or so started to grate a bit but then I had one of those lightbulb moments. I noticed that the oil extractor pump flexible tube looked very similar to the Bosch one coming from the pump. Couldn’t be could it? Got out the callipers and yes the external diameter was the same - 10mm. Undid the tube off the condensate pump - 6mm internal, then whipped off the spigotted end of the oil extractor tube and lo and behold - 6mm internal dia!

So I pushed it on and clipped it to the pump, drilled a 6mm hole through the top of an old plastic bucket and stuck the new drain pipe through it. Et Voila, no more waking up to a frozen condensate pipe.

I hate cold weather.

7DSOuWT.jpg

tried for 2 hours today to get through to homeserve for nonagerian with no working central heating for 4 days . no success . fortunately a neighbour persuaded a gas man to sort out and he also explained these new grants called eco 4 which give you a free boiler [ if its totally ancient ] and various other stuff . sounds interesting

tried for 2 hours today to get through to homeserve for nonagerian with no working central heating for 4 days . no success . fortunately a neighbour persuaded a gas man to sort out and he also explained these new grants called eco 4 which give you a free boiler [ if its totally ancient ] and various other stuff . sounds interesting
If your property has an EPC of D or worse…

Am thinking of investing in some pyjamas for the 1st time apart from being a patient in hospital. Not the same sort though these shouldnt need the straps tying at the back.

Am thinking of investing in some pyjamas for the 1st time apart from being a patient in hospital. Not the same sort though these shouldnt need the straps tying at the back.

never had pj's apart from hospital, and not about to start. Stay naked we say in this house.

The fires been lit every day so far; just had more coal delivered too, should see us through Christmas...

We've had the central heating on in the mornings, it's been kicking on c6am at 17ºC, stats been dropping to 14ºC overnight

Dropped to -8.1ºC here overnight, it's just -6ºC now!

advertisement

Back