advertisement

So who’s put their heating on yet ?

No one seems to give a shit what you say about Sittingbourne, though.
Sheppey seems more of a target than Sittingbourne.

Sheppey was/is a seaside resort but to me it was the last resort; lived their during my teens and couldn't get away fast enough in '58. However, I went to school in Shittingbourne during that period. A hell of a walk to the station and a hell of a walk at the other end; reversed daily, of course.

Some time after I left, the train from Sittingbourne didn't stop at Sheerness station, which was a bit unfortunate as it's a terminus. It ploughed through the station building and nearly reached the high street, I understand.

I well remember dropping Molotov cocktails (bottles with bangers in) out of the train windows as we crossed the Swale bridge. The aim was to detonate just under the water and we became quite adept at this.

The inter-school gobbing contest happened when our train met the other one, both full of school kids, at (I think) Iwade station. The carriages had leather strap operating windows and these were used to good effect whilst trying to score hits on the opposing unfortunates. More of a ritual, really; we weren't nice to know at that age. Chavs, louts, Philistines, Barbarians, whatever; just teenage boys of the fifties !

I checked & replaced defective weather stripping on the (rather large as % of exposed elevations) Georgian sashes a fortnight ago, and that is working marvelously.
bad form to quote oneself - but, it really is.

Outside temps fell to around 3degC for 10hrs overnight albeit very still - and without heating, inside has held 17.5degC or better last 24hrs. That's a happy state of affairs.

Interesting BBC article on optimum room temperature and the risks of going colder
Staying warm: What does an unheated room do to your body? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63602501

if that is the one I listened to as a podcast I thought it a misguided item always rely on the BBC to get it wrong since none of that group will have to consider not heating their homes this winter. At the end the smug la-di-da guy ( who thought 10C not cold) suggested putting on some woolen gear as an afterthought. It would have been better to have speakers who talked about layers in particular a close fitting layer around the arms and legs and neck and footwear that does not lose heat through the soles. No mention of the risks of having a cold home from (inevitable) high relative humidity leading to damp and mold and mold spores giving you chest infections. But then he was just doing a "piece" and tried to bamboozle listeners with science experts ( listeners in their cozy warm middle class well heated homes for whom it is just anyway entertainment)

Inside our house, things are around a steady 14 - 14.5 degrees Celsius. I think I need to put the heating on for an hour 'cos that's too chuffin', naffin' cold to sit around in. :D

if that is the one I listened to as a podcast I thought it a misguided item always rely on the BBC to get it wrong since none of that group will have to consider not heating their homes this winter. At the end the smug la-di-da guy ( who thought 10C not cold) suggested putting on some woolen gear as an afterthought. It would have been better to have speakers who talked about layers in particular a close fitting layer around the arms and legs and neck and footwear that does not lose heat through the soles. No mention of the risks of having a cold home from (inevitable) high relative humidity leading to damp and mold and mold spores giving you chest infections. But then he was just doing a "piece" and tried to bamboozle listeners with science experts ( listeners in their cozy warm middle class well heated homes for whom it is just anyway entertainment)
Must have been different because this is just one guy wired up to sensors and the room is gradually cooled down to 10 degrees and they look at the physical changes and the risks that ensue. Raised blood pressure, cold extremities because the body is protecting the core organs etc etc

Link doesnt seem to work any more. Conclusion was that under 17 degrees is risky. I posted it because some posts seemed to be from people saying they were going lower than this and I thought they should be aware of the potential consequences

Must have been different because this is just one guy wired up to sensors and the room is gradually cooled down to 10 degrees and they look at the physical changes and the risks that ensue. Raised blood pressure, cold extremities because the body is protecting the core organs etc etc
I read about it on the BBC website. The guy was wearing shorts and a T-shirt as the temperature was reduced to 10 C. Unsurprisingly, wearing inappropriate clothing in cold temperatures will have an adverse effect on one's body.

A lot don't understand the link between temperature and humidity.

So many seem to think it's essential to have a window open, usually letting in 100% RH air which all needs to be heated to lower RH.

Air at 30C can hold about 4x as much water as at 5C.

All very important whether you're trying to dry out a house or wheat.

Link doesnt seem to work any more. Conclusion was that under 17 degrees is risky. I posted it because some posts seemed to be from people saying they were going lower than this and I thought they should be aware of the potential consequences
That's interesting. It fits with the old H&S rules, the OSRP regs, now rescinded, stated that workplaces had to be heated to 16C within the first hour of work, where reasonably practicable etc. This was to allow for people opening up and needing to light the the or other heat source. 16/17 is certainly a working minimum comfortable indoors temperature for most people.
Interestingly the H&SAW rules no longer state a temperature, they just say "a comfortable temperature" with the old OSRP regs as guidance.

Heating went on for an hour the other day to test it's working properly ie. all the rads came up to temp as expected - which they did - as I would rather know if something's wrong before I need it. It's been off again since. In fact I've got a window open as I'm typing this and the thermostat's showing 23degC at the mo. It got down to 3degC outside last night but the heating still didn't need to kick in; I have it set to come on around 19degC.

j85wBSCl.png

Anyone taking part in the Octopus "Saving Sessions"?

If the next one runs between 6-7pm I've told the other half to expect a tin of beans cooked on the old Trangia when she gets home from work.

(rather than having the 2.5 Kw oven running)

Heavy day today. 3 x washing machine hot with pre wash, tumble dryer all afternoon, dishwasher, oven with roast in it, underfloor heating at 20 degrees, 2 x bath. I’m interested to see what gas / elec bill spike that causes.

For the past week or so our dishwasher, oven and washing machine / dryer , vacuum cleaner etc have been running from 5pm onwards.

Hey, every little helps?

that was the one. no practical advice just science. Question I think he wasnt wearing clothes to keep you warm? so those effects can be mitigated if suitably dressed. eg hands wear half gloves and shoes with foam soles like those clogs lidl has been selling work a treat. The matter of raised blood pressure and strokes is common knowledge in places that get a lot of snow eg the USA - grandad goes out side to sweep the snow away, the cold contracts his blood vessels and he has a stroke or heart attack due to raised blood pressure.

advertisement

Back