advertisement

So who’s put their heating on yet ?

My local outdoor pool 'Lido' is Tooting Bec Lido which can be great in summer but in Winter is run by the South London Swimming Club and they say you have to be used to cold water swimming to be allowed in. In other words it's chuffing cold! In summer however there is a very mixed clientele and you can hardly get in the place. A few years ago my Australian chiropractor told me to swim a few lengths of my local pool but the size of this pool is such that a width would be what she would have considered a length.
It is a great place.

The indoor temperature has now dropped to 16.5C, so the central heating has now been switched on. It's an underfloor heating job, so one it goes on is stays on for the duration.

hmmm Tory ar5ewh0I3? What's a chav? other than looking in disdain at others

Not sure how you think you know what my politics are but you are wide of the mark. Having spent time at the place, on many occasions when my children were young, if people behave in such a way, then they will earn my distain.

I’ll not get into name calling with you, it’s a bit childish.

BB

Last edited:
yes I know, but the modern day use is not as per its ancient use. It is used with intent to look down others.
Yes, but society expressing its disapproval is a powerful means of moderating antisocial behaviour. Or at least it used to be. I’m perfectly happy to disparage criminals, as are most people I think. Showing disdain for other groups which disrupt an orderly society is not inappropriate.

8F/-13C last night with a high of 39F/4C predicted for today. New windows and insulation we put in over the summer making it feel a lot warmer in the house than last year. Not looking forward to shoveling the snow later today.

yes I know, but the modern day use is not as per its ancient use. It is used with intent to look down others.
For their behaviour, yes it is. In the past we would have called them "louts" and they would have been the same people exhibiting the same antisocial behaviour. Do you have a problem with the word "lout"?

For their behaviour, yes it is. In the past we would have called them "louts" and they would have been the same people exhibiting the same antisocial behaviour. Do you have a problem with the word "lout"?

no I see a lout as something different

lout - no but I have never heard the word used with spite or venom

In my world, amongst my family and friends; (maybe it's a London thing)

lout = someone behaving badly

chav = is someone who is lower class and who dresses in a particular clothes and who might be behaving badly

I asked my neighbour on my way out, and he said Chav, was used as a class based insult, used with spite by people who think they are better than those they are using the word to describe. He said lout was an old fashioned word for someone behaving badly...

time to enjoy my pint of Batemans XXXB

In my world, amongst my family and friends; (maybe it's a London thing)

lout = someone behaving badly

chav = is someone who is lower class and who dresses in a particular clothes and who might be behaving badly

I asked my neighbour on my way out, and he said Chav, was used as a class based insult, used with spite by people who think they are better than those they are using the word to describe. He said lout was an old fashioned word for someone behaving badly...

time to enjoy my pint of Batemans XXXB
Lout was used *by certain people* in my youth exactly as you descibe chav being used today *by certain people*. Of course there are regional and social differences. I bet that the people using the words today and 30 years ago are the same, just as the people being descibed are the same, just 30 years on.
Social linguistic differences are interesting. I can't get over Londoners ' use of c**t as a friendly term of light hearted abuse. You'll know, do that in Leeds or Newcastle and you will get a a scowl and "you fxxing WHAT?" as a prelude to the evening taking a very different tone.
I've no objection to your taste in beer though. I grew up on Bateman's and XXXB is excellent. Sweeter now than I remember it, but still good.

chavs at my daughter's school are the better off kids who have all the gear but no/not much interest in learning

I'm currently at Phase 3 in terms of heating:

Phase 1: switch from shorts and t-shirts in the house to pajama bottoms and t-shirt + jumper.
Phase 2: engage dehumidifier intermittently to control increasing humidity: it just so happens that heat is a by-product of the dehumidification process.
Phase 3: still using a summer duvet but now with a light throw placed on top.

Phases still to come

Phase 4: switch from summer duvet to winter duvet, at this point the throw will be put away for the time being.
Phase 5: start using a throw while lounging and whatnot.
Phase 6: bring out the bed throw again.
Phase 7: intermittent use of the living room oil radiator.
Phase 8: engage storage heaters and also use the electric blanket.
Phase 10: pray for a mild winter and the early onset of spring.

Finally the heating is on! I hit phase 7 last night as I had friends coming over lol

I'm just home from work and I'm feeling a bit cold (I was cycling and it's a wee bit nippy at this time of year) so I've put the oil radiator on for a bit, but I'll be turning it off once the room temp goes up a couple of degrees. I mean, I don't want the room to reach 18 degrees or anything like as I'll just end up melting like a snowman at those exotic temperatures ;)

Gillingham has a ‘Strand’, a park with an outdoor pool or Lido if we were in London. It’s a chav magnet on summer weekends.

Cheers BB

I've learnt not to be too dismissive of the Medway towns or any of their environs. It appears to be a privilege only accorded to natives. Especially where Twydall is concerned. No one seems to give a shit what you say about Sittingbourne, though.

Re OP: Just chainsawed up my first batch of firewood for this winter.

I've learnt not to be too dismissive of the Medway towns or any of their environs. It appears to be a privilege only accorded to natives. Especially where Twydall is concerned. No one gives a shit what you say about Sittingbourne, though.

Re OP: Just chainsawed up my first batch of firewood for this winter.

Sheppey seems more of a target than Sittingbourne. Although Chatham gets a bad rep amongst the other Medway towns.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back