advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

Day 10 of having Covid and still testing positive. Albeit, the marker on the test is paler than it was on Monday. Symptoms now equivalent to a head cold plus the usual covid fatigue, muscle ache and almost complete lack of sense of smell.

I see flu jabs at secondary schools have been quietly dropped even though a big flu wave is expected. They plan to offer some if there's any left later in the season. We're going backwards on public health rapidly...

Worsening health of Britons is holding back UK economy, Andy Haldane warns
RSA [Royal Society of Arts] chief executive says century of progress now going into reverse after years of underinvestment

“We’re in a situation for the first time, probably since the Industrial Revolution, where health and wellbeing are in retreat,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines..._medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1668020921

Day 10 of having Covid and still testing positive. Albeit, the marker on the test is paler than it was on Monday. Symptoms now equivalent to a head cold plus the usual covid fatigue, muscle ache and almost complete lack of sense of smell.

Could I enquire as to your vaccination status?

Could I enquire as to your vaccination status?

Fully vaccinated but probably run out of protection. I was due my (over 55) booster in a couple of weeks.

I'm pretty healthy for my age, I think. I golf three times a week (carry my bag) and go to 4 or 5 yoga/pilates classes a week. For whatever reason this version has hit me pretty hard.

Euan

Lifting Universal Masking in Schools — Covid-19 Incidence among Students and Staff

"Among school districts in the greater Boston area, the lifting of masking requirements was associated with an additional 44.9 Covid-19 cases per 1000 students and staff during the 15 weeks after the statewide masking policy was rescinded."

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2211029
I liked your post, because it is useful to keep track of these things, and of course not because this is a good thing.

No surprise really that it had a measurable negative effect.

I have not seen any reports that ventilation has been improved in schools, despite the teaching unions publishing a paper describing what improvements they wanted to see to make it safer in classrooms for pupils and staff.

My daughter purchased a data logging CO2 meter which has shown some interesting results. With one person on our lounge it sits at around 800 ppm of CO2, with 3 people it gets up to 1300 ppm CO2. This is in a room with forced ventilation from a heat recovery and ventilation unit (including a HEPA filter to remove dust etc). It is not well sealed from the outside (ambient CO2 at 440 ppm) and yet we get high values of CO2. Just opening the doors to 2 rooms that had no one in them reduced the CO2 dramatically. But still did not drop below 800 ppm from 1300 ppm. Overnight it dropped well below 600 ppm and looked like it would stabilise at around 500 ppm.

Not a very rigorous set of experiments but does give a numerical indication that ventilation can have a large effect on air quality and that additional experiments could be used to better quantify effects.

However, how that relates to COVID viral load and safe or unsafe levels remains completely unknown as does the variance across a wide range of individuals.

My daughter purchased a data logging CO2 meter which has shown some interesting results. With one person on our lounge it sits at around 800 ppm of CO2, with 3 people it gets up to 1300 ppm CO2. This is in a room with forced ventilation from a heat recovery and ventilation unit (including a HEPA filter to remove dust etc). It is not well sealed from the outside (ambient CO2 at 440 ppm) and yet we get high values of CO2. Just opening the doors to 2 rooms that had no one in them reduced the CO2 dramatically. But still did not drop below 800 ppm from 1300 ppm. Overnight it dropped well below 600 ppm and looked like it would stabilise at around 500 ppm.

Yes we just bought one recently as well. Ours isn't a logger but my wife takes it around with her and to work on the one day per week that she's required to go in. They're surprisingly revealing aren't they.

I sincerely hope there will be concerted organised opposition and a legal challenge. I am not the only one who on two separate occasions in writing have now denied the govt the right use my data in such a way.

AstraZeneca’s covid-19 (mis)adventure and the future of vaccine equity
BMJ 2022; 379 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.o2592 (Published 11 November 2022) Cite this as: BMJ 2022;379:eek:2592

The pandemic, for a moment, wobbled the foundations of the drug industry, with calls to elevate lives above profit.

“I personally don’t believe that in a time of pandemic there should be exclusive licenses,” the researcher Adrian Hill declared to the New York Times in the spring of 2021. Hill and others at Oxford University, UK, had produced what was then the world’s leading covid-19 vaccine candidate and planned to offer it to manufacturers royalty free. But the insurgency was put down before it ever got off the ground.

Oxford swiftly and exclusively licensed its technology to the UK based pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca. The agreement did include a “non-profit” agreement: initially priced at cost, the vaccine saved more lives from covid-19 than any other in its first year of circulation.1 Yet the no-profit pledge also unleashed a withering crossfire—equity advocates alleging grotesque hypocrisy on one side, market forces on the other.

Financial media in the US “clearly didn’t like the idea of a low cost vaccine, undercutting the market,” Hill told the Financial Times.2 AstraZeneca’s vaccine won regulatory approval the world over, but not in the US.

AstraZeneca’s covid-19 (mis)adventure and the future of vaccine equity
BMJ 2022; 379 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.o2592 (Published 11 November 2022) Cite this as: BMJ 2022;379:eek:2592

The pandemic, for a moment, wobbled the foundations of the drug industry, with calls to elevate lives above profit.

“I personally don’t believe that in a time of pandemic there should be exclusive licenses,” the researcher Adrian Hill declared to the New York Times in the spring of 2021. Hill and others at Oxford University, UK, had produced what was then the world’s leading covid-19 vaccine candidate and planned to offer it to manufacturers royalty free. But the insurgency was put down before it ever got off the ground.

Oxford swiftly and exclusively licensed its technology to the UK based pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca. The agreement did include a “non-profit” agreement: initially priced at cost, the vaccine saved more lives from covid-19 than any other in its first year of circulation.1 Yet the no-profit pledge also unleashed a withering crossfire—equity advocates alleging grotesque hypocrisy on one side, market forces on the other.

Financial media in the US “clearly didn’t like the idea of a low cost vaccine, undercutting the market,” Hill told the Financial Times.2 AstraZeneca’s vaccine won regulatory approval the world over, but not in the US.
My understanding at the time was that the cost price arrangement put in place by AZ could be unilaterally revoked by them once the Covid emergency was deemed to have lapsed.

My understanding at the time was that the cost price arrangement put in place by AZ could be unilaterally revoked by them once the Covid emergency was deemed to have lapsed.

I recall that a few people had a hard time believing that the Gates Foundation and the University hierarchy stepped in to prevent free licensing, even though the development would have been enirely publicly funded over many years.

"The UK has spent about 20 per cent less per person on health each year than similar European countries over the past decade, according to new research that shows how the NHS has been consistently starved of funding." [FT if you can see it]

https://t.co/P6RaxbmVYs

advertisement

Back