advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Out for a pre Amsterdam Marathon training run this morning. 30k today and had to slow the pace in several places. I think I'm ready for it next week.

Nice MJS, best of luck for the big one. Let us know how you get on - full race report!

Wineman, sounds like you are racking up huge miles - Barca sounds nice, think you mentioned it last year. Not sure I'm up for the amount of training needed...unless the ballot comes up..

Worthing 10K was wonderful this morning. Sunny, not too chilly, light breeze from the south (so sideways for most of it). Dead flat along the seafront for most of it. A great turnout, around 1500 entries, and well organized as always, a good buzz. Only 2 short training runs in the last couple of weeks, but I pushed on and got a PB (a second under 41 mins) so was very happy!
That'll probably be the last race for this year.
Re-hydrated in our local after with a couple of pints ;)

I have just started some very limited running, and have my final cardiac rehab session this coming week. So far I have been doing walk run, alternating 1min walk and 1min slow run (about 10min mile pace), which keeps my heart rate in the permitted zone. I did 11min in all, 6 runs and 5 walks, with about 20 mins of warm up indoors of waving arms and legs about like the rehab class. I hope when I have had my final rehab I will be allowed a few more beats per minute, and can work towards continuous running, be it ever so slow.

Glad to here everybody having fun at the races - enjoy it!

That's great news PigletsDad - slow and easy and you'll be back at it, albeit gently.
Running is about so much more than how fast or far you can go. Nike got it so right with Just Do It (not that I am a Nike fan!).

Just in case anyone's interested, Amazon have a sale (if you have Prime) on Aftershokz bone conducting headphones - openmove with the additional 30% voucher is now £39.17. I have a pair of these and can recommend.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08GYBXMHH/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Aeropex also reduced, but not sure I would spend that much on them...not that I've used them.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
MJS.. hope you enjoy Amsterdam, it's a lovely city. Quite a flat course from what I hear. I did enter it around 2010 but had to withdraw due to a very poorly parent. Rotterdam is meant to be very flat/fast too. York marathon on Sunday too so I might go and spectate.

PigletsDad.. Parkrun have just started a 'Parkwalk' for people recovering from injuries and ilĺness. Might be worth considering when you're up to it. Best of luck with your recovery.

Robs.. good pace in the 10k, that translates to circa 90 mins for a half marathon - should you be tempted! I used to run 10k's in 38-41 mins in my 40's & early 50's but that speed is long gone now.

Since Chester I've just done a few easy runs without any pressure. After yesterday's run I think my legs have just about recovered now so I'll start building the miles up again next week. York parkrun tomorrow as the horses have disappeared for the last time this season.

I've been to Amsterdam many times and know quite a bit of route by foot and bike, so am really looking forward to it. Max elevation change is I think about 6m - and that's a bridge under a road that then goes over a canal shortly afterwards :)

Best of luck @MJS, hope you are fighting fit and raring to go!

Thanks @Wine Man. Have already been tempted by halfs many times! Got 90 mins (and some seconds!) in a couple of months ago, which I was very happy with!

I've been to Amsterdam many times and know quite a bit of route by foot and bike, so am really looking forward to it. Max elevation change is I think about 6m - and that's a bridge under a road that then goes over a canal shortly afterwards :)

Remember to swallow a few times so your ears can adjust to the pressure change as you go over the summit!

Out for a long slow trot this morning. Was a lovely morning for it and I realized that it was the first time in weeks where I was not in a race against the clock, and just out taking it easy - nice.
My mate Garmin tells me my 22km was unproductive....I don't care, I enjoyed it a lot.

Last edited:
Just discovered this thread (don't know why but I rarely venture into the off topic pages).

I ran my first half-marathon today (Bath Half). 2 hours 6 mins and 15 seconds, which was a bit disappointing based on my training but then I realised it was very congested in the opening kms and for mid-October a very warm 15 degrees. Happy to have done it. Now looking for a new goal, having taken up running just a few years ago and reached the happy age of 64.

Well done MJS, that's a great result! Not surprised you're a bit achy..! It'll probably get worse before it gets better :(

Welcome Darkagesound - that's great for a first half. I'm guessing Bath is pretty hilly too?

Out for a long slow trot this morning. Was a lovely morning for it and I realized that it was the first time in weeks where I was not in a race against the clock, and just out taking it easy - nice.
My mate Garmin tells me my 22km was unproductive....I don't care, I enjoyed it a lot.

can’t tell you how much I hate the ‘unproductive’ jibe.

Welcome Darkagesound - that's great for a first half. I'm guessing Bath is pretty hilly too?

Thanks for the welcome. Actually the course in Bath is fairly flat (we avoid the hills), though they changed the finish this year and it has an unwelcome incline for the last 300m or so.

Not long since I put my foot down a little at Parkrace and turned in a 26, my fastest for a while. Mr Garmin must have latched into my gait or something as he awarded me an unproductive. I often refer to him as the wrist bastard.

That's very strange - a long easy run is supposed to be the bedrock of running training, according to all of the literature on 80/20 or polarized training. Perhaps your heart rate was a little too high and put you above zone 2 ? That was a great 10k time you put in - anything close to 40 minutes is a great time.

First 5k since long covid last weekend - I think the course was a little short, but based on my time I think a sub 20 Turkey trot is definitely on for Thanksgiving, if the weather cooperates. I never thought that would happen during my summer of long Covid. Over 400 people came out for the 5k to support drug counseling and rehabilitation and the weather was glorious.

Congrats. to MJS on AMS and Darkagesound on the half - great to see everyone out running, and especially those recovering from illness or injury. Park walk is a great and long overdue idea.

MJS.. many congrats on your Amsterdam effort, that's a long time out on your feet. Sore soles of feet are often something I suffer from post marathon, along with all the other aches.:(

Darkagesound.. good effort for your first half at a senior age. As your training and miles increase you could potentially whittle that down to sub 2hrs. If it serves as encouragement my lady clubmate only started running in her late 50's, she's a LV65 now and won her category in her last 2 marathons. 3.51 at Manchester!

sean99.. good to see back running in anger again, one of my club girls had long covid over about 6 months. Then she got injured!

Robs.. lol, I didn't realise Garmins could slap you on the wrist for slacking etc. Sounds like a decent enough MLR to me.

Stepping up the miles again here. A 4m + 7m double yesterday, 11m today - a bit breezy but the temps are still ok. Good excuse not to put the heating on yet!

advertisement

Back