advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Darkagesound.. good effort for your first half at a senior age. As your training and miles increase you could potentially whittle that down to sub 2hrs. If it serves as encouragement my lady clubmate only started running in her late 50's, she's a LV65 now and won her category in her last 2 marathons. 3.51 at Manchester!

Thanks Wine Man - I had hoped to run under 2 hours, my 18km training run had been under 2hr pace, but on the day it was very congested in the early kms and then I probably overcompensated and then the heat took its toll in the last 3km. I'm hugely impressed by your clubmate - I cannot imagine running a marathon. Looking forward to running the Parkrun at the weekend and seeing if all the training results in a new PB.

Well the half marathon training has paid off with a new PB around the Bath Parkrun this morning - 26 mins 27 secs (never mind my son telling me he'd run 18 mins 52 secs in Dulwich).

Reactions: MJS
All that training for the marathon and my body lets its guard down afterwards and I now have a nasty cold. Of course it's nothing to do with thousands of people in a different city, lol.

I started a new running plan this week with the aim of running a sub-25 mins 5K by the end of the year. However, Monday was wet and I ended up with blisters on both heels. I've never had blisters from running before. I'm guessing wet socks was the problem. That will teach me not to run through the puddles but to avoid them, as had been my practice in the past.

I recently went through some tondonitis and followed the opposite of the RICE protocol. I used a bucket of HOT water every morning for 15 mins followed by a regimin of exercises recommended in Older Yet Faster. Things got better pretty quick so I'm grateful. A bit of synchronicity that I found this article from Mens Health today about RiCE. Interesting food for thought as like most of us I was always told ICE first then heat a few days later.

A good read: https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/...5TKFv09TmhZdgPVAUeWWhFJRDkJFsDwg-qk1aFdhirTfg

A gentle 10k out in the sun this morning. Somehow seems wrong to still be in shorts and T-shirt and sweating in mid November...

Darkagesound, you're probably right with the wet socks being the cause of the blisters. But if not, I can recommend these dual layer socks - I use them for longer runs (half+) and whilst I've never really suffered from blisters I have had sore toes in the past, but these have ended that problem: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075XF4Z6D/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Expensive for socks, but work well.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
About to start a 10k plan to try and get below 55mins again. Need some sort of focus before thinking about another half. Would like to do a decent time (for me!) at the Manchester 10k and then the GNR again next year probably. I find having nothing planned leaves me doing very little.

But if not, I can recommend these dual layer socks - I use them for longer runs (half+) and whilst I've never really suffered from blisters I have had sore toes in the past, but these have ended that problem: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075XF4Z6D/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Thanks for the suggestion. I've got some decent socks and not had problems with blisters before but my feet got very wet when running this week. I hope to be back in action on Monday.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm not a runner, but, I think due to a suggestion here, I discovered Brooks Men's Adrenaline Gts 21s, which are by far the most comfortable shoe I have ever had. Their effect was immediately noticeable: I walk with a spring in my step because of them.

However, my size is 42E -- wide. And the wide fitting has been unobtainable in the UK since May. I fear it is discontinued here.

Can anyone make any suggestions of alternatives I might try? Or maybe an outlet I have missed which has 42E?

I use Adrenalines as my every day running shoe as the supports keep my pronation in order. I, too, have wide feet and the 21s have been discontinued. I don't think there are any left anywhere, I got one of the last pairs on offer from Runner's Need when the 22s came out.

I now use the Adrenaline 22s and they're great, I mean I ran the Great North and Amsterdam Marathon on them without discomfort or blisters so have no hesitation in recommending them. They do feel a little different from the 21's but they work for me.

Last edited:
Tiny sort of run today. Just over 5k including walk warmup and cool down. Fastest (hollow laughter) km in 7:11, which is about 12minute mile pace. Able to keep my HR in the 120s at that pace. Lovely sunshine; took my jacket off after a few minutes and was fine in shorts and tee shirt, which is not bad for mid November.

Pretty tired later on, and had 40 winks. But nothing much by way of chest pain.

I'm not a runner, but, I think due to a suggestion here, I discovered Brooks Men's Adrenaline Gts 21s, which are by far the most comfortable shoe I have ever had. Their effect was immediately noticeable: I walk with a spring in my step because of them.

However, my size is 42E -- wide. And the wide fitting has been unobtainable in the UK since May. I fear it is discontinued here.

Can anyone make any suggestions of alternatives I might try? Or maybe an outlet I have missed which has 42E?

I also need a E fitting. For road running I use New Balance 1080 s & trails Brooks Cascadia 16s. Not sure though whether either would suit you.

I put a marker down at the weekend in my quest for a sub 25 mins 5K. I ran a PB 25:48 for 5K and also a PB for 10K on the same run 53:02. This morning I ran 5K in 35:44 and kept my heart rate down in the 120s. I often struggle to run at a slow pace.

Last Thursday was the annual Dedham Thanksgiving Turkey Trot 5k. Over 1300 people showed up on a cold morning (-1C) to run and raise money for the local food back (shouldn't be necessary, but a good cause). I was pleased to only be 7 seconds slower than in 2021 - 19:43 (it's a fast course), since I'm a year older and had 4 months off due to suspected long Covid this summer. The winning time was 14:44 :eek:. No wonder the leaders seemed to head off into the distance at the start !
There's a local 10k next April I'll have a go at. I haven't run a 10k since I was at university (except for at the end of a triathlon - which was more of a plodding pace), so it will be interesting to see how much I've slowed down.

I have been going out with my running club on Wednesday evenings, with the Run/Walk group. I hope to graduate to the 12-13min mile group soon. I have done three Parkruns this year, two at Worcester Woods (mud, small hills, two laps) and one at Gloucester (freezing fog, dead flat, many laps in small park). Worcester about 40mins both times, Gloucester 34mins.

advertisement

Back