advertisement

Train strikes

Strikes don’t get people behind the cause, they just put people off using the service. It’s cheaper and more reliable to drive pretty much anywhere now (unless you can travel 3 weeks next Wednesday at 2.17pm, if it’s running).
I fully support the rail workers strike action.
So you are posting the usual Tory twaddle.

Strikes don’t get people behind the cause, they just put people off using the service. It’s cheaper and more reliable to drive pretty much anywhere now (unless you can travel 3 weeks next Wednesday at 2.17pm, if it’s running).

The public actually seem to be split pretty evenly on support for strikes.

This poll also suggests that if you're a younger Labour voter you're more likely to support strikes than if you're an older Conservative voter. I'm shocked! : )

https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/public-divided-over-support-rail-strikes

As a van driver living in London I had 1 wage rise in 12 years at one point during my working life, but managed to avoid serious financial hardship.
But perhaps I should have pulled the Poverty trigger to my employer, lol, a term thats so beloved by many on here. Anyway don't remember striking !
Obviously more money people have in there pockets the better it is for the economy but these strikes have a huge knock on effect for other workers.

I fully support the rail workers strike action.
So you are posting the usual Tory twaddle.
Not to mention the widespread support the strikes have attracted, and the universally positive attitude to Mick Lynch- despite the best efforts of the Tory media.

Maybe if you weren’t a Tory and had voted for decent working conditions for others, against disastrous privatisation etc you’d not have been inconvenienced.

who me? did I complain? no. Did I say I didn't support the strike? I just stated some personal facts....I wasn't inconvenienced, my timings were on track.

I fight every inch of the way to improve the conditions and wages for every person in my dept.

Union member, active Labour Party member, occasional Green voter.

I think your insults are misplaced.

I fully support the rail strikes, but I think the impact can be strategically misplaced.

I think not picking up overtime is very effective.

Thank you Tony - appreciated

To be fair, I read it in the same context as Tony.

Apologies too.

In my defence, I’ve been involved in a long-running ‘discussion’ on a rather right-wing leaning forum over the months.
Thankfully, this place doesn’t seem to have as many rabid Tory race to the bottom types, always punching down.

The public actually seem to be split pretty evenly on support for strikes.

This poll also suggests that if you're a younger Labour voter you're more likely to support strikes than if you're an older Conservative voter. I'm shocked! : )

https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/public-divided-over-support-rail-strikes

Public most sympathetic of all to passengers (over rail workers, govt or rail companies).
Yes, the younger labour voter is a real poll shocker!

The rail companies charge a lot of money in return for a service (unless you can travel three weeks next Wednesday etc). If that service is crap, people are just going to vote with their feet and use alternative forms of transport (which they are). I’ve got to go to Devon soon, I could easily get a train but sod that, I’m driving. It’s cheaper and more reliable.

I fully support the rail strikes, but I think the impact can be strategically misplaced.

I think not picking up overtime is very effective.

It’s rather strange what has been going on.

The railway relies on o/t, for better or worse.
There are serious shortages of staff and a few TOCs had to cut their timetables right down because of this. On the same day we were treated to a Tory government proclaiming they would ‘ban’ any striking worker from working o/t to make up their loss of wages. At the same time, withdrawing from working voluntary o/t was declared as industrial action and a Victorian practise.

Clear messaging always helps…

The rail companies charge a lot of money in return for a service (unless you can travel three weeks next Wednesday etc). If that service is crap, people are just going to vote with their feet and use alternative forms of transport (which they are). I’ve got to go to Devon soon, I could easily get a train but sod that, I’m driving. It’s cheaper and more reliable.

Yep a lot of the rail services in the UK are rubbish. Overcrowded, unreliable and eye-wateringly expensive.

But that's hardly the fault of rail workers striking for better pay and conditions.

I'd suggest the government and the management of the TOCs are responsible for that.

Public most sympathetic of all to passengers (over rail workers, govt or rail companies).
Yes, the younger labour voter is a real poll shocker!

May the traffic be light and the stress levels low.

Let us know how you get on.

advertisement

Back