advertisement

Favourite tyre brand?

I think some cheap tyres are worse than others so you may get lucky depending on what you choose. I certainly don't think it's a given that all cheap tyres are crap but I definitely have had a couple of really bad ones in the past ('Accelera' I think were pretty terrible in the wet and ice on my old Accord). Our Pug 107 still has the cheap Chinese tyres that it came with as they haven't needed changing yet and tbh they've given me no reason to worry at all, but it's no sports car obvs :D.

Accelera Phi - unbelievably shit; beyond shit IMO - as bad as Linglong (or you won't live long) tyres

I looked at a couple of 730Ds local to me when I was looking for my next 7 series this time last year; both had Accelera tyres fitted, in 20" sizes... I saw them, laughed and walked away!

If the owner of a car like a 730D only fits tyres like that; you can almost guarantee he/she has skimped on everything else on that car too

Depends how they drive on their tyre of choice.

Is there any evidence that cheap tyres contribute to road incidents more, proportionately, than expensive ones, - genuine question.
Well, if they stand on the brakes if somebody steps out into the road unexpectedly, the ABS will cycle and whether they stop in time or not will depend on how good the tyres are, not on how good or safe a driver they are. Just one example.

I've been very happy with Bridgestone, Continental and Michelin.

Some Dunlop SP Sport were grippy but wore quickly.

Avons were fine but developed a lot of cracking a bit sooner than I'd like.

For budget tyres I find Khumo or Falken OK.

I accidentally ended up with some Landsail tyres on my car after buying a set of used alloy wheels and they're weird. Very quiet and comfortable but horribly vague feeling. Best avoided IMHO.

I had some Nokian winter tyres on a previous car and they were superb in terms of grip but understandably rather noisy.

Accelera Phi - unbelievably shit; beyond shit IMO - as bad as Linglong (or you won't live long) tyres

I looked at a couple of 730Ds local to me when I was looking for my next 7 series this time last year; both had Accelera tyres fitted, in 20" sizes... I saw them, laughed and walked away!

If the owner of a car like a 730D only fits tyres like that; you can almost guarantee he/she has skimped on everything else on that car too

Sure, fair enough, I agree that's its pretty dumb to buy a large 'executive' car that's costly to run if you don't have the means to maintain it. Iirc the Accelera I bought were not budget by price (more mid range price) but certainly budget by performance. They remain the only tyres I've ever replaced well before the tread level required it.

Avons were fine but developed a lot of cracking a bit sooner than I'd like.
According to the receipts we have the Michelins on my Touran are only a couple of years old but are cracking. I wonder how long some tyres may end up sitting on racks in garages before they're actually fitted.

Sure, fair enough, I agree that's its pretty dumb to buy a large 'executive' car that's costly to run if you don't have the means to maintain it. Iirc the Accelera I bought were not budget by price (more mid range price) but certainly budget by performance. They remain the only tyres I've ever replaced well before the tread level required it.

According to the receipts we have the Michelins on my Touran are only a couple of years old but are cracking. I wonder how long some tyres may end up sitting on racks in garages before they're actually fitted.

Always one thing I make sure of when I order tyres is their DOT date; if it's more than 9-12 months I refuse them personally...

I've know folk have brand new tyres fitted and they've been around 2-3 years old!

My last three cars have come fitted with Continentals from the factory. Each time I couldn't wait to get them off.

I pretty much only buy Michelins when I have a choice.

Well you seem happy to ignore the video upthread showing a very experienced driver losing control at 24 mph.....perhaps you've cracked it, never exceed 20 mph...face it the difference between a high performance tyre and cheap as chips is about £50 a corner. Most of us value ourselves, passengers and pedestrians above that exorbitant 0.01 p/ mile.
You think you know me?

Did you actually read my post... I stated that I've been out in the same car, in the same scenarios with different tyres (all new but bedded in) and the budgets were beyond scary in thew handling/braking/wet & dry sections...

And don't give me the 'I've been driving for this long' bullshit... You make it sound like you're a driving guru... Clearly, you're anything but!

Budget tyres are just that; budget and crap

If you think you know better just because you've been driving for so many years; then fine, but I know for a fact that what I've said is right

And no; I'm not a driving god; no one said that; I do have advanced driving experience and qualifications and I drive normally, sensibly and within the limits of my cars. I've track experience and driving courses experience... But I'm still nowhere near as experienced as those that taught me and still teach me now...
I can report only what my (long) experience has been, same as you.

How have I lived 57 years on this earth without having a favourite tire brand? (Sorry, but tyre looks wrong and over here it is.)

This must be a British thing.

Joe

We could try one of each brand on each corner and see who can tell which is which (blind)..

We could try one of each brand on each corner and see who can tell which is which (blind)..
Interesting story: I used to drive a Toyota HiAce van a lot (50k miles p/a, on average). It came equipped with Semperit tyres, which were fine and lasted ages. Then I had a blowout on the motorway, and had to get a replacement from the nearest tyre depot. So I took what they had in stock, which wasn't a Semperit.

The handling became weird - unpredicable and a bit vague. Constantly on edge, like it was about to lose control, even at modest speeds and in the dry - the older tyres were still well above legal wear limits. My boss even noticed, commenting on it when he used the van one day and suggesting maybe the blowout had damaged the suspension, or something. I was fairly sure it was just a tyre mismatch (these were different brands, but same size and construction). I wanted to replace the other tyre on the same axle (well, you would, wouldn't you, after one had a blowout) so I made sure to specify the same type as the replacement. The handling was restored to normal immediately. This in a van, not a sports car.

How have I lived 57 years on this earth without having a favourite tire brand? (Sorry, but tyre looks wrong and over here it is.)

This must be a British thing.

Joe
Tyre looks fine to me. Tire is odd.
How does pneu sound like? :D

advertisement

Back