advertisement

Favourite tyre brand?

Cross Climates here. Not available for the wifes car - a shame.

Avons were a reasonable price compromise a few years ago.

All the big beast brands are perfectly good and safe, European or Japanese. Lesser brands I would approach with distinct caution.

wears quickly but performs beautifully?

Wears quickly but performs beautifully = Michelin Pilot Sports (in my experience) - if you can get them to fit.

The Conti's I've had have generally been decent performers (especially in the wet) and have worn quite well. I don't think I've tried anything really sporty from them though.

Cross Climates here. Not available for the wifes car - a shame.

That was the issue with my wife's SLK - could get Cross Climates for the front but not the rear. It was possible to mix tyres as there were other all-season options where you could get the rears but not the fronts. In the end I decided we can just leave it parked up when conditions are bad (which is indeed what we've been doing since we owned it!) and stuck with the Michelin Pilot Sports which we've always used on it. I've been very impressed with the Cross Climates on my car though, so would have gone with them if available.

Wears quickly but performs beautifully = Michelin Pilot Sports (in my experience) - if you can get them to fit.

The Conti's I've had have generally been decent performers (especially in the wet) and have worn quite well. I don't think I've tried anything really sporty from them though.

Thanks. I'll look at the Pilot Sports.

I put cross climates on my last car and they worked really well in that we never had any bad weather ( snow) to try them in.

I’ll probably put them on the new car when it needs them. I did find them a bit noisier though

A few of my recent cars have come equipped with Michelin and I've had good mileage from them, so kept buying them. Latest car has Continentals on, no complaints about them.

Cheers BB

Lot of love in the responses for the Cross Climates - added bonus is that our required size are available locally (Kwik Fit) with a 10% discount code (yummy)

Only caveat being that the website recommends not mixing them :( .... no way would we add the rear tyres to the bill, still perfectly fine Dunlops.

This guy's channel (https://www.youtube.com/c/tyrereviews/videos) is great and this might be very relevant for the OP:

Best tyres of 2022 review covering a great cross-section of tyre types:

Continental SportContact 7
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6
Michelin Pilot Sport 5
Falken Azenis FK520
Yokohama Advan Sport V107
Hankook Ventus Prime 4
Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2
Michelin Primacy 4+
Bridgestone Potenza RE71 RS
Bridgestone Potenza Race
Michelin CrossClimate 2
Continental AllSeasonContact
Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-3
Hankook Kinergy 4S2
Michelin Pilot Sport AllSeason 4
Continental ExtremeContact DWS06+
Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate
BFGoodrich Trail Terrain TA
Nokian Outpost AT

I must admit to putting cross climates only on the back, and leaving Dunlop's on the front until they wore out and were replaced with cross climates. Didn't cause any issues, and not sure why it would really. I guess selling four tyres is better than two for the retailers...
(Recommend to check the price with Black circles too, they seem to be consistently good value compared with most.)

I must admit to putting cross climates only on the front, and leaving Dunlop's on the back until they wore out and were replaced with cross climates. Didn't cause any issues, and not sure why it would really. I guess selling four tyres is better than two for the retailers...
(Recommend to check the price with Black circles too, they seem to be consistently good value compared with most.)

You should always put new tyres on the rear.

https://www.edentyres.com/should-i-fit-new-tyres-to-the-front-or-rear/

Another Cross Climate fan here.
I have used them on the X-Trail (SWMBO’s car) in the snow, and they perform well.
Also had them on my BMW, and was happy with them.

Will be looking at getting them fitted to my current car, when the time comes.
A good 4 season tyre seems to be a good compromise to me, as they are nearly as good as a full winter tyre and it avoids having to change the tyres.

Here in France, it is not obligatory to have winter tyres in certain areas, and the Cross Climate fall in this category.

Just put a pair of Toyo Nanoenergy tyres on the Panda. Seem reasonably priced, and also quieter than the previous cheapos. Good so far.

I always used Toyo on the Alfas, but it seems the choice is limited to Pirelli for the RS

I like Goodyear Military 600 x 16 NDTs, but they're the very devil to get hold of, and cost a fortune when you can.

We had an MOT comment to the effect that the front tyres would need replacing soon .... not the rear.
Could possibly get them to fit new to the rear and move the Dunlops to the front - no doubt another wedge of cash would be involved ;)
We did this once on an A-class Mercedes. They forgot to adjust the tyre pressures and the result was obvious without any dramatic driving!
I hate road noise so if a choice I’d go quieter. Are there any comparisons in this area?

Need to get new front tyres soon for our Toyota Yaris.
Generally get Bridgestone (no idea why, just habit I guess)

Any other favourites out there - or makes to avoid ?
stick to Bridgestone if they are a good price. Fine tyres.
There is zero point worrying on a Yaris, but some small gains to be had in the winter.
If you are out on the ice a lot, then Goodyear Vector 4 seasons are a fine all rounder. Conti do the best real winter tyres, but unless you're in Finland, an all season is better.

advertisement

Back