advertisement

Why Brits don't protest?

Has anyone considered that people don’t protest because they are generally pretty happy with their lives and busy living them?

given the views of my friends and acquaintances in my local, this is spot on. They genuinely care little - they are Tory voting, think Boris is great. It has been a Tory constituency for a long time.

Has anyone considered that people don’t protest because they are generally pretty happy with their lives and busy living them? Of course the govt ideal of home ownership is all part of their plan. People with skin in the game and something to lose tend not to rock the boat.

I'd certainly be surprised if the Cotswolds was a hotbed of insurrection ;-)

I think it's more apathy in a lot of cases. If you don't think protests will change anything why deal with all the agro?

I'd certainly be surprised if the Cotswolds was a hotbed of insurrection ;-)

I think it's more apathy in a lot of cases. If you don't think protests will change anything why deal with all the agro?

I don’t think apathy is quite the word. The word I would use is despair, hopelessness.

I don’t think apathy is quite the word. The word I would use is despair, hopelessness.

if my neighbours and drinkers in my local are an accurate reflection of attitudes - there is no sign of despair or hopelessness. They truly don't care. All they want is their health, enough money to do want they want.....ATM they still appear to be in this position.

Credit ratings have a lot to answer for. Fans of silent but all-enveloping oppression must find their beauty exquisite.

if my neighbours and drinkers in my local are an accurate reflection of attitudes - there is no sign of despair or hopelessness. They truly don't care. All they want is their health, enough money to do want they want.....ATM they still appear to be in this position.

Yes well I have heard it said before that what stops a serious challenge to the system is that people can afford to buy cheap consumer goods, as if the tech and holidays and cars are a sort of opium of the people. That’s what keeps the proletariat lumpen.

But there is a political class, a woke class I guess, the vanguard. And they’re the ones who (I’m suggesting) are fewer and fewer because of widespread hopelessness. Just read through any of the lefty threads here, the one on the Labour Party for example . . . the best are starting to lack all conviction.

I'd put it down to sheer bloody idleness, meself. Especially in this weather. Who wants to be chucking rocks and stuff around when it's this hot?

There’s apathy, but there’s also fear. Nobody fancies being kettled, arrested, maybe charged (eg under the new laws which have been misapplied by the police - see the Sarah Everard stuff). Not to mention having to mount a defence in court and the likely disruption to job, employer, and possibly livelihood if convicted. Create a precariat and you have a meek society.

I'd put it down to sheer bloody idleness, meself. Especially in this weather. Who wants to be chucking rocks and stuff around when it's this hot?

I remember once being in Paris at the time of pretty big riots, they were happening near my hotel. When I checked in I asked the hotel owner if they’d been a problem for him. He just shrugged his shoulders and said “It’s Spring, the weather’s nice, the kids would rather be demonstrating on the streets than in college. It happens pretty well every year, it’ll soon blow over . . .” He was right.

Much like when we on holiday on Crete some years back. It was all kicking off on mainland Greece over austerity cuts etc. I asked the barman if he was worried about the trouble spreading to Crete. 'No', he said, 'it's only Athens. They're all crazy there' (tapping the side of his head in the universal sign language for 'nutters').

The ruling class in the UK has always been very skilled at giving us just enough to prevent mass unrest. Most people (possibly to their credit) are quite content when they have enough food, a liveable home, schooling for kids, some entertainment and cheap escapism (booze, music, sport). The fact that they could have a much better quality of life or that the country is being looted largely escapes their attention.

That's where ownership of media by billionaires comes in, of course. They set the narrative. People like a simple, easy-to-understand story. If public services, employment, housing, health services are in short supply, it's the fault of the Polish joiner, the Syrian refugee, EU, woke students, distant wars...etc, everyone but the people actually running the country.

Maybe we will reach a tipping point this winter. When people can't afford heating, petrol, food, rent etc they won't care about the narrative, or where the "Overton Window" is located. They will just take to the streets.

That’s the problem with these so-called ‘snowflakes’- they’re too bone idle to protest ( if you ask me). No, they’re sitting in their tax payer funded, rent free accommodation whinging on social media ( the only exercise they get). I’d bring back national service and the birch. As for these so called feminists and gender fluid characters- if they want to be treated the same as men, they should take their punishment like men, instead it’s all personal pronouns this and personal pronouns that these days

Last edited:
Yes well I have heard it said before that what stops a serious challenge to the system is that people can afford to buy cheap consumer goods, as if the tech and holidays and cars are a sort of opium of the people.

have you ever stopped for one minute and think that is what the vast majority want, their choice.

advertisement

Back