advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VII

I think it's entirely wrong and largely the result of a Saatchi advertising campaign and newspapers of the time pushing a vested interest line.
I don’t mean that the Conservatives did actually represent the national interest, I mean that they were successful in representing themselves as such, and successful in representing Labour as representing narrow sectoral interests. Yes, partly thanks to Saatchi and the press.

It’s an old narrative and Labour are currently doing more to push it than anyone else. E.g.

https://twitter.com/grahamjones_mp/status/1552207234968461312?s=21&t=9d0fLU0HbWcFY5IZ1YXM3w

It’s long been part of Labour analysis, left and right, that their defeat in the ‘80s was partly down to the way they were framed as representing narrow sectoral interests, I.e the unions, while Thatcher represented the national interest. I don’t think that’s wrong but it’s hardened into dogma like so much else. Lots of things have changed since then, including unions and people’s understanding of them, and it’s ridiculous that Labour are still repeating the Kinnock strategy.

The other aspect of this of course is that the Labour right just don’t like or understand unions and don’t share the interests of the people they represent. It’s tempting to read everything they do as electoral strategy, like all the right wing stuff is just for show, but at the end of the day it’s simpler just to take them at face value.

Also union membership in the UK is now less than 25% of employees. My current job in education is my first workplace on 30+ years of work that has union recognition. And even there membership is so low that the union is powerless.

Anecdotally I think a lot of the population are easily swayed against industrial action - partly because they've never had the opportunity to be a union member themselves.

Also union membership in the UK is now less than 25% of employees. My current job in education is my first workplace on 30+ years of work that has union recognition. And even there membership is so low that the union is powerless.

Anecdotally I think a lot of the population are easily swayed against industrial action - partly because they've never had the opportunity to be a union member themselves.
Yes, this is a strange one. The public can often have dualistic opinions. Such as: 'I see the right to strike and why it happens, but I also think it inconveniences everyone...' o_O
It is, as you said, only when they are on the real sharp end of employer power that they realise what industrial action means.

Back to the 1800’s...

People generally get what they deserve and the tories (once with poodle) have been voted for 4 times between 2010-2019.

Time for a change but people have to vote for it.

Time for a change but people have to vote for it.
Do they know what they are even voting for to make that change? 'Change' is perhaps the most used political slogan of modern times. Before Obama's recent campaign it was the key slogan for Reagan's 1981 campaign.
'Change for Britain.' What did this mean? It was posited on the same fundamental base at the thing it proposed to change from. As though one desires 'change' and so moves with all one's existing belongings and ideas to a new place and installs them exactly as they were in the old place and so it fundamentally changes nothing.

Do they know what they are even voting for to make that change? 'Change' is perhaps the most used political slogan of modern times. Before Obama's recent campaign it was the key slogan for Reagan's 1981 campaign.
'Change for Britain.' What did this mean? It was posited on the same fundamental base at the thing it proposed to change from. As though one desires 'change' and so moves with all one's existing belongings and ideas to a new place and installs them exactly as they were in the old place and so it fundamentally changes nothing.
Yes, if Labour is proposing change, what is it that it proposes to change, what does it propose to change to, and what are the means it it proposes to effect change.

If the proposal is to change public services from the shambles it is under the Tories to something better, Labour has already denied itself the means to achieve those ends, so any change can only be superficial.

What we need is substantial change

Where are you putting the centre?
Some of the angrier Starmer supporter self identify as centrists
Labour are deeply authoritarian, socially and fiscally conservative, anti-trade unions, against democratic reform, pro monarchy, pro-Brexit, pro-Trump/Tory style immigration controls etc etc. That’s all pretty hard-right from where I stand.
agreed
Where is the real difference between Keir Starmer and say Rishi Sunak?
Economically there is no difference
Sure, Sunak is a public school billionaire who doesn’t like his family paying tax, or even committing to where they live, but that aside where is the difference in policy or ideology?
There is none.
I’m just not seeing it.
Me neither

Look like Tory Boy Starmer will be support the restrictions on the right to strike. He's backed himself into a corner now

Keir Starmer sacks shadow transport minister who backed rail strikes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62325842

Labour need to dump this clown if they want to win a GE which is going to be soon as there’s no way those two Tory clowns will not be able to call a GE and it will probably before Christmas.

Labour need to have an agenda to renationalise the energy companies and public transport or else there will be major civil strife coming down the pike once people realise it’s either heat their homes or eat.

The government, whichever flavour is in power next year, will need to do something re the energy market cause it’s quite clear that these price rises are not sustainable in the short to medium term the result will be energy companies going bust cause people won’t pay their energy bills or won’t be able to pay them.

Well, we experienced a lot of change between 1997-2010. Something similar would do for a start. I’m not at all interested in Obama or Reagan.

What change(s) do you want that is/are realistic?

Same question to your friend, though of course, he only replies to me through other members even though my point is made in good faith. There is a word for it. Perhaps you can help him by replying so he can reply to that? :D

Interesting that Tarry’s been sacked not for supporting unions but for sending wrong media message. Electoral strategy as cover. Truth is they don’t want to back the unions.

It does pose a question to supporters though in that it’s demonstrating that the leadership won’t be pulled to the left by membership, unions or MPs. Since this exhausts the list of people who *could* pull them to the left, and since none of them will be strengthened by a Labour victory, I think we need to accept that Labour will rule on exactly the right wing ticket they go in on.

Not a reason not to vote for them but we shouldn’t kid ourselves. They’ll do what they want.

Well, we experienced a lot of change between 1997-2010. Something similar would do for a start. I’m not at all interested in Obama or Reagan.

What change(s) do you want that is/are realistic?

We didn't see a great deal of change between those dates; well we did, but so much of it wasn't positive. There were often artificially inflated lists that did the rounds of twitter. In the form of a jpeg as an answer to people who questioned the achievements of their dear leader. It never included things like 'running a government surplus' (i.e. a public deficit) in the first term. which they did, on the strange notion of 'getting the finances in order'. (It takes an economic knowledge to know why this is a bizarre claim).

Or causing a massive spike in personal indebtedness through the 'fiscal responsibility rule' holding down public spending so that Blair/Brown could originally demonstrate to the EU that they had what it took to meet the neoliberal criteria to take Britain into the Euro. Quite a lot have forgotten about that. It never spoke much about Pfi and privatisations. Or the deranged policy of 'targets' with punitive results for not meeting them. Causing the spectacle of hospital trolleys redesignated as 'beds' by removing the wheels, to escape those punishments. Or schools being given 'targets' to meet, and instead of being given help and funding when they couldn't reach them, being penalised and funding withheld until they 'improved'. None of these made the list of the great leader's achievements.

There is stuff to point at though which was essentially good: the funding into the NHS. Though it was a knee-capping waiting to happen because their methodology was (in Tory-lite style) to say, our financial means are limited, therefore we must cut elsewhere to achieve it and also pretend that we 'borrow' our currency. And hopefully that we can join a currency we really do have to borrow, if Mr Brown's 'golden rule' dazzles them enough.

Then after entering a war and deciding to shift public spending (their limited public spending they said) to that, they left the domestic economy to ride on a personal debt bubble. And when it crashed for other - though similar -reasons, no-one was in a position to withstand it. Except the people Blair-Brown had further deregulated in 1997 in order to 'make the market work for everyone': stock market gamblers, city of London money launderers, private bank personnel who make 'financial instruments'...

You may recall that the Tory opposition of the time never really attacked the economic base of New Labour. How could they? It was frighteningly similar to their own. Usurped them. Destabilised their sense of conservative identity. So they just talked about 'spending', because of course the public seems to not want any spending, it just wants the effects of it: the NHS, good schools, good public services. Yet also wants 'rectitude' and strict control. (Side note never take advice on anything from 'the public').

I don't want any of that sort of 'change'. So I'll get to thinking what could be good and do another post.

We didn't see a great deal of change between those dates; well we did, but so much of it wasn't positive.

Don't forget that Blair took a considerable hiding in the local elections only two years after his GE victory. Over a 1000 council seats and control of some 30 authorities to the Tories - was he ever the Mr Popular !!! His failure, given the majority he had to play with, will go down in history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_United_Kingdom_local_elections

Interesting that Tarry’s been sacked not for supporting unions but for sending wrong media message. Electoral strategy as cover. Truth is they don’t want to back the unions.

This is why the unions should pull the plug. It is clear Sir Keir Of The Conservative Establishment will not tolerate public demonstrations of support for workers rights. There is clearly nothing at all connecting Labour to its trade union heritage and reason for existence.

This is why the unions should pull the plug. It is clear Sir Keir Of The Conservative Establishment will not tolerate public demonstrations of support for workers rights. There is clearly nothing at all connecting Labour to its trade union heritage and reason for existence.
I don’t think they will or really can, it’s all a bit Mutually Assured Destruction. But it looks like they might do something. Will be interesting to see. I don’t know if Labour have just blundered into this or if it’s an attempted power move.

I don’t think they will or really can, it’s all a bit Mutually Assured Destruction. But it looks like they might do something. Will be interesting to see. I don’t know if Labour have just blundered into this or if it’s an attempted power move.

Hopefully the unions get him to eff ASAP there’s a window of opportunity here and it’s wide open.

advertisement

Back