advertisement

Today I have mainly been v3

Just done a Covid test because Mrs Mull is away and neighbour has offered to drive me to hospital for my second Physio appointment and he needs to be clear for a holiday departure in a few days. Test was clear.
Be interesting to see what Physio thinks of my progress so far but increasing the knee bend is proving difficult.
In other news.I'm getting to listen to lots of music.

lady across the road has had both knees replaced - last one was done about a year ago. The last one she cannot bend very well at all, first one she can bend, but it took about 9 or 10 months to settle. She cannot kneel down at all (for the garden) and has to walk with a stick. Although she is pain free.

Last night shortly after 10 I was sitting outside with the remains of my Roquefort and wine when I heard a commotion from the chicken pens in the farm beyond. I put down my glass and hurried down the path and through the gate. The pen was a mass of flapping, squawking chickens, and in the gloom I could just see that one had been singled out for special attention by a badger. I found my way in and by waving my arms and shouting (my solution to nearly all problems) separated badger and intended prey. I wasn’t entirely sure what I was going to do next, but the badger made the decision for me by running away and disappearing in the corner of the pen. There was a small tunnel under the fence and he had obviously gone out the same way he came in. I called the farmer, then went back to my Sauternes.

This morning I received a text message alerting me to a dozen eggs left in the sentry box and and offering ‘thanks from the chickens for saving their lives.’ Which was a good way to start the day.

Just done a Covid test because Mrs Mull is away and neighbour has offered to drive me to hospital for my second Physio appointment and he needs to be clear for a holiday departure in a few days. Test was clear.
Be interesting to see what Physio thinks of my progress so far but increasing the knee bend is proving difficult.
In other news.I'm getting to listen to lots of music.

I'm in a similar boat, partial replacement 3 weeks ago, made good progress first 10 days then its seems to have become totally recalcitrant, both bending and pain wise. Thought I'd be back on my bike for some short rides by now but no chance of that in the foreseeable. Annoyingly haven't even had a chance to listen to much music, forgot to swap out the OTL's for some SS before the heat wave and now can't get low enough to pull the plugs:). Looks like its cooling down now so hopefully that'll change...

Daughter and partner now Covid-19 positive, also youngest Son and his partner are C-19 positive as well. They don’t appear to unwell at present.
Managed to get some shopping for The Daughter, which included cream cakes…

Trying to eat our main meal a lot earlier - Wife struggling with this concept, but I find it easier.

Sea bass with vegetables.

You just need to choose a wine to complement this evenings omlette.

Invite a friend to let them know it wasn't personal.

51H7FQaJcHL._AC_.jpg
0000135_2021-certified-organic-cabernet-sauvignon-new-release_600.png

I'm in a similar boat, partial replacement 3 weeks ago, made good progress first 10 days then its seems to have become totally recalcitrant, both bending and pain wise. Thought I'd be back on my bike for some short rides by now but no chance of that in the foreseeable. Annoyingly haven't even had a chance to listen to much music.

Surprisingly the lovely Sophie in physio was rather pleased with my progress and recorded a 95 degree knee bend. She looked at my walking and recommended ways to improve my gait. That's not just down to the op..as both my knees were shot and my walking was unnatural for a few years before Surgery. Still something to aim for...

Reactions: PsB
Bag number 2 of Postcrete, nearly topped off now, will finish tomorrow.
One side of a fence panel 'painted' cedar red. Having a coffee while it dries a bit, then turn it round and do the other side. Will need another coat tomorrow.

I'm in a similar boat, partial replacement 3 weeks ago, made good progress first 10 days then its seems to have become totally recalcitrant, both bending and pain wise. Thought I'd be back on my bike for some short rides by now but no chance of that in the foreseeable.

I'm not sure how different the procedure for a partial is from a TKR, but I'd imagine it is nearly equally brutal.
As I understand it, apart from the temporary pain blocking of the regional (Spinal) anaesthesia, they pump lots of local anaesthesia into the tissues around the knee, which remains effective for several days.
So, if you are anything like me, you go from what I've described above, plus being close to 'off yer face' on Oxycodone or similar for a few days, to getting home with fading local anaesthesia and increased activity.
Add in that bruising and lots of other symptoms of healing start to emerge and the issue is obvious. You are going to have to push through pain, much of which is effectively self inflicted. Or you can avoid pain by risking permanent stiffness in the joint, and/ or possible opiate addiction.

I've chosen to minimise pain relief and try to work hard on exercises, icing and elevation of the joint to get through the process as quick as possible.
For me it boils down to background pain which is mostly a dull ache and tolerable, to the more intense pain when exercising, which isn't really masked by opiates anyway, so just has to be dealt with. It's fading over time.
The main objective has to be regaining the strength in all muscles, plus flexibility in the joint.

Last night went down the road to visit my mate (took him a few cans of his favourite Guiness), who is recoveringfrom major ankle and leg surgery after a serious assault earlier this year. He has 2 long pins and 3 plates plus assorted bolts and screws. He has just started physio, and it has done him the world of good. He isnt allowed to put any weight on his ankle until October the earliest. And in all likelihood he wont work again. As his last checkup, they were worried about damage to his knee as well, and in fact it is giving him more pain than the ankle....they are talking about a total knee replacement for later this year.

The cops got one of the perps but the other is still at large - apparently the other perp is well know to the cops.

This morning the excitement of shortlisting for 4 senior lecturers

I'm not sure how different the procedure for a partial is from a TKR, but I'd imagine it is nearly equally brutal.
As I understand it, apart from the temporary pain blocking of the regional (Spinal) anaesthesia, they pump lots of local anaesthesia into the tissues around the knee, which remains effective for several days.
So, if you are anything like me, you go from what I've described above, plus being close to 'off yer face' on Oxycodone or similar for a few days, to getting home with fading local anaesthesia and increased activity.
Add in that bruising and lots of other symptoms of healing start to emerge and the issue is obvious. You are going to have to push through pain, much of which is effectively self inflicted. Or you can avoid pain by risking permanent stiffness in the joint, and/ or possible opiate addiction.

I've chosen to minimise pain relief and try to work hard on exercises, icing and elevation of the joint to get through the process as quick as possible.
For me it boils down to background pain which is mostly a dull ache and tolerable, to the more intense pain when exercising, which isn't really masked by opiates anyway, so just has to be dealt with. It's fading over time.
The main objective has to be regaining the strength in all muscles, plus flexibility in the joint.

Thanks Mullardman, yes that all applies for partial KR, I've now ditched the codeine, and like you trying to concentrate on exercises and RICE.
I'm quite good at pressing through the pain barrier whilst exercising (probably why I've ended up with buggered up knees in the first place), but finding the balance between that and subsequent swelling tricky to manage. Not having my first physio session until 2nd week August, 5 weeks after surgery so difficult to gauge progress v expectations. I'm using the St Georges booklet ('South West London Elective Orthopaedic Centre' The Knee Replacement, Patient Journey Booklet', pdf available for download), which is much better illustrated than my Kings one for my exercise regime. Annoyingly I simply can't bend the joint enough to get on a static bike, which is v frustrating.

Last night went down the road to visit my mate (took him a few cans of his favourite Guiness), who is recoveringfrom major ankle and leg surgery after a serious assault earlier this year. He has 2 long pins and 3 plates plus assorted bolts and screws. He has just started physio, and it has done him the world of good. He isnt allowed to put any weight on his ankle until October the earliest. And in all likelihood he wont work again. As his last checkup, they were worried about damage to his knee as well, and in fact it is giving him more pain than the ankle....they are talking about a total knee replacement for later this year.

The cops got one of the perps but the other is still at large - apparently the other perp is well know to the cops.

This morning the excitement of shortlisting for 4 senior lecturers

glad to hear they got someone . i remember you mentioning this shocking incident

Quiet work day, we're decorating a council flat in SE London, which is straightforward. Phone and emails quiet, combination of hoidays and train strikes I think. Son #2 arrived back from Spain, where he's been for 10 days with his GF and her parents. It's nice to have him home. Cinema tonight with Ms BB and Daughter #2 to see 'Where The Crawdads Sing'.

Cheers BB

thanks , not much choice really as they have been told they wont live too long without it . hopefully one is a good match otherwise it cant happen .

advertisement

Back