advertisement

Life Before the Golden Arches

Weren’t we so lucky to experience this little selection :)

Not a lot of choice for veggies and vegans!

That really takes me back. We didn’t really do eating out when I was growing up, mum cooked everything and the occasional take away. However on very special occasions - birthdays and such, we were taken to Wimpy. I don’t remember what I chose for main food but I do I remember it was all about the Brown Derby for afters.

There`s a Wimpy in Coulsdon, been there as long as I remember - never been in it, we never did that sort thing as kids, it would have been madly extravagant in the sixties.

Ahhh, the 'bender". Cue much sniggering from a load of teenage boys.

I was in a Wimpy in London back in 83/84 and there was a woman walking around with a face like thunder, 'wacky' braces and a handful of balloons. "Hullo" she said in a dead monotone, "I am your Wimpy fun lady". Which I felt summed the franchise up, nicely.

Never had a meal at either Wimpy's or McDonald's. The latter is good if you want a reasonably cheap coffee, quickly.

we didnt much like the Wimpy burgers when we were kids. The milk shakes were nice IIRC. I love a MacD. These days pref BK, but Honest Burger and 5-Guys are way better.

ISTR that most Wimpys were table service. Except the one in Cambridge near the bus station (St Andrew's Street) which was more like a Maccy D's (it ended up as one ISTR) with service at the counter. Were there others like that, as I never saw another?

ISTR that most Wimpys were table service. Except the one in Cambridge near the bus station (St Andrew's Street) which was more like a Maccy D's (it ended up as one ISTR) with service at the counter. Were there others like that, as I never saw another?

Yup, they were. No concept of fast food then, the burgers were cooked to order old style, more like a cafe/diner. I remember the transformation McD made to the concept of getting food so fast, I went with a friend into London to see a stage show and he wanted to take the Big Mac challenge where you say the ingredients list in under 4 seconds to get a free burger - he did not manage it. I can't remember if I bought anything then, if I did it was not memorable.

advertisement

Back