advertisement

French Presidential Election 2022

For every Islamo-gauchisme storm-in-a-teacup, I can find you 2 or 3 other subjects where the distance between RN and NUPES positions is less than your preferred cigarette paper.
I mean, you’re more than welcome to do that but I’m concerned it will be an exercise in missing the point. Macronists doing Islamophobia isn’t bad because fascists are also doing it, it’s just bad. But it does also show that there’s no barrier in principle to an alliance. That the left and the fascists both (appear to) support a higher minimum wage is a bit different isn’t it.

Glad to hear you're not affected by Islamophobia though!

The opposite is true, it's by doing nothing that they would properly cede ground to the far right. Remember, the Samuel Paty case is still very much alive in many voter's minds.
How would you say the “Doing Islamophobia instead of nothing” strategy is working out? Maybe there are other alternatives to doing nothing?

How would you say the “Doing Islamophobia instead of nothing” strategy is working out? Maybe there are other alternatives to doing nothing?
According to you, is it islamophobic to try and prevent terrorist attacks ? I mean, all attacks, by any sort of group, need to be prevented. Should islamic criminals benefit of some sort of tolerance on behalf of the government ?

Sounds like you're trivialising the issue (unless I misunderstand your point). I doubt that many Muslims in France see the hostile environment as a storm in a teacup.
Islamo-gauchisme is an insult that gets tossed around a bit (not a lot), mostly in Parisian political and intellectual circles IME, by people ranging from the far-right to the centre-left in an attempt to discredit their opponents. It was most recently used by Blanquer (Macron's minister of education), after the decapitation of Samuel Paty, to attack left-wing academics that he considered too complacent and soft on militant islam. 100 university professors and other grandees then signed a petition supporting the minister, which provoked a backlash in the press and elsewhere. That incident is the storm in the teacup I was thinking of. I don't normally use the IG term as it seems to mean different things to different people and it seems to have originated on the far right, but in this case it seemed in tune with what Sean was getting at as it's been used by both the far right and the centre. I would be ready to guarantee that at least 94.5% of the French population didn't give a toss about it, including a majority of French Muslims.
I assume that any overlap netween NUPES and RN is around the cost of living crisis, pensions and other bread and butter issues. If that's right, isn't there a fundamental difference between the two scenarios...
Lots of others: both parties are profoundly skeptical, to put it mildly, about the EU (both want to wriggle out of EU constraints, to the point of toying with the idea of Frexit (RN) or "disobedience"(LFI); both were pro-Putin until Feb 24, a bit less so now; both are still anti-NATO; both are anti-Germany as well as anti-US; etc.
When NUPES and RN find common ground over the cost of living crisis, NUPES remains true to its core values and does not cede ground to the far-right.
And let me guess, when Macron caps gas prices, electricity prices, petrol prices, is he ceding ground to NUPES or to the far right?

In fairness the Met behave like that at a peaceful woman’s vigil for a woman actually kidnapped and murdered by a cop.

The centrist alliance won the first round of lower house elections on Sunday by a razor-thin margin.

...The first time a President’s party has won less than 30 percent, ever! That will have shaken the French establishment big time

NUPES are described as “far left” by BBC, who list main policies as…
  • Retirement to be lowered from 62 to 60
  • The minimum wage (known as Smic) to go up by around 15% to €1,500 a month
  • The return of wealth taxes on people and companies
  • A freeze on the prices of basic essentials
  • The creation of a million jobs.

Are these far left policies? God help us.

Mélenchon‘s merit boils down to shaking Macron’s foundation, and this is never a bad thing. But in France, nobody really takes these figures seriously, not even the left, and least of all Mélenchon himself. Leftist candidates as well as voters didn’t have any other choice than NUPES, and it remains a protest vote.

Retirement to be lowered from 62 to 60
This is very much a lefty thing. France already has the lowest retirement age in Europe, money isn’t there even for 62, but why not lower it even further. It sounds so good before an election after all. Melenchon is a charlatan, you should hear him speaking at his shows.

This is very much a lefty thing. France already has the lowest retirement age in Europe, money isn’t there even for 62, but why not lower it even further. It sounds so good before an election after all. Melenchon is a charlatan, you should hear him at one of his shows
Hardly “far” left was my point

“This really is disgraceful: the unsuccessful candidate from Macron’s Ensemble in Marine Le Pen’s constituency declines to support a Green Party candidate over MLP in the runoff, saying that faced with a choice between “the extremes and a blank vote” she will cast a blank vote”

Awful and inexplicable. Reminds me of the time Hoey, Stewart, Mann etc etc all sided with Farage/Banks and the ERG on the alt-right Brexit project. Oh, wait, they actually chose the far-right rather than abstain!

Awful and inexplicable. Reminds me of the time Hoey, Stewart, Mann etc etc all sided with Farage/Banks and the ERG on the alt-right Brexit project. Oh, wait, they actually chose the far-right rather than abstain!
You reject the far right, Tony, many people are like you but they reject the far left as well. That doesn’t turn them into rightists either.

Never in a million years would I vote for Le Pen, but listening to Melenchon is just as much a waste of time and nerves. ‘Being left’ is not enough, there must be some substance. Melenchon has none.

Last edited:
The left did well, depriving Macron of a majority.

And: where the options were left or far right, "centrist" candidates refused to endorse the left, and so did centrist voters.

"According to the below, when faced with a choice between Le Pen's National Rally and the left-wing NUPES coalition, 72% of the voters who back Macron's party (LREM) didn't vote"
https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1538621701587619847?s=20&t=BtdX5v3wO9K9QXlHRo_C-Q

"Ipsos project 89 MPs for Le Pen’s Rassemblement National. In 56 of 61 run-offs between NUPES and the RN, Macron’s losing first round candidate refused to support the left-winger, in many cases condemning ‘all extremes’"
https://twitter.com/broderly/status/1538609205535559680?s=20&t=BtdX5v3wO9K9QXlHRo_C-Q

By rights we should now have a few pages discussing what centrists have in common with fascists, how centrists are so obsessed with purity they end up enabling fascists etc. :)

Anyway, let's see what Macron does: an actual alliance with fascists seems to be a real possibility.

advertisement

Back