advertisement

Storing Vinyl in a shed advice.

Wayne C

pfm Member
Due to needing to move into a bungalow due to health matters I will potentially have to store my vinyl collection in a shed built into the property side. This isn’t a free standing garden one but built into the side with no external surfaces apart from the actual door. Can I ask is this a risky option to consider?, as to be honest I don’t really have any others unless I want LPs taking up space in limited internal areas. Has anyone successfully stored LPs in this way.

My brother successfully stored his record collection in his attached but unheated garage for a few months so it is possible. However this garage is exceptionally dry and only has one outside wall plus the door, which gets sun in the morning, probably helps to keep it dry.

I work in a shed. Its decently made like a linken log cabin. 40mm walls. I can tell you this much, there is temperature variations, big ones!

Due to needing to move into a bungalow due to health matters I will potentially have to store my vinyl collection in a shed built into the property side. This isn’t a free standing garden one but built into the side with no external surfaces apart from the actual door. Can I ask is this a risky option to consider?, as to be honest I don’t really have any others unless I want LPs taking up space in limited internal areas. Has anyone successfully stored LPs in this way.

is it temperature controlled? what is the humidity like? does it leak? does it have power? any photos?

I have an awful brick extension thing built onto the back of my house. It was an outside toilet and shower created for a previous owner who was elderly/disabled and was in a right state when I bought the place. It has only got worse since. I have stored boxes of reject vinyl in there and they do deteriorate pretty fast as it isn’t heated, doesn’t have a dehumidifier in there. I suspect covers drop a grade every couple of months in there, more over the winter. Vinyl will get mould etc. It is a hostile environment.

You really do need to be careful here, records need proper temperature and humidity-controlled storage to remain fully stable. If you need to store them in the outbuilding thing ensure it is built for the task, i.e. get builders in to do it properly so it is effectively another room of the house.

is it temperature controlled? what is the humidity like? does it leak? does it have power? any photos?

no temperature control , the actual shed is incorporated into the house none of it sticks out and is between the hallway and the kitchen. I guess I could put those polo dehumidifiers inside if I was desperate. The pitfalls of collecting vinyl. I currently live in a two bedroom and they are all in the second bedroom.

There are sheds and there are sheds ...

When we moved into our current house I stored my old slides (boxes in a box) in the free- standing garage for a couple of years on a 'needs must' basis.
Seemed reasonably dry at the time but we did get a couple of serious Winters.
All of them got attacked by some kind of fungus that left tiny spots over the entire surface - some crazed, presumably due to the temperature swings.

Not something I would repeat with anything of (sentimental) value. :(

My shed is bone dry it has to be said, but me an my lad inhabit it for hours in a day. Its a heavily used space. Records would probably be fine in here

My shed is bone dry it has to be said, but me an my lad inhabit it for hours in a day. Its a heavily used space. Records would probably be fine in here
I can see this. The thing is that a structure such as yours and used as you do isn't a shed but a wooden house.

Agreed. I have another shed for tools and such. It gets damp in winter, stuff has ruined in there.

Maybe you already have thought about this but has the time come to perhaps sell some of them off? I know I'd tell someone to eff off if they said that to me in a place like this but...

Maybe you already have thought about this but has the time come to perhaps sell some of them off? I know I'd tell someone to eff off if they said that to me in a place like this but...
Perhaps not the most sensitive of posts, but probably accurate. I think if I had to reorganise my life like this there would be a LOT of stuff need to go. The difficulty is disposing of it without giving it away to someone who's just going to sell it on for profit. If I were starting again I think I'd get a Spotify (etc) subscription, a server and a solid internet connection, and dispose of all but a handful of my collection. Likewise all the bikes, climbing gear and all the rest. The difficulty is retaining enough to enjoy as a hobby but not having so much that it prevents you from doing anything with it. I've seen this with lots of people, in particular my Dad. He retired and he was going to have workshops to do stuff. So he set up a machine shop. And a woodwork shop. And a forge. He had so much stuff in these buildings he couldn't actually do anything. After moving to a smaller space he has it more or less under control and he's worked out that in fact all he really wants to do is a bit of gardening and the allotment, so I have reorganised his garage to let him do this. The same goes for a pal who has a houseful of hifi kit. He's going to set up this that and the other, the problem is that you can't actually get into any of the rooms for stuff.

^No - there's no way to say it really and everyone else shied away. The trouble is attempting to store the vinyl like this might end in disaster.

I guess it depends on how many records there are and how much space there is internally. Perhaps some clever storage and careful editing of the collection might be the compromise.

Might get away with it is the word here. I'd try almost anything else first. I've had success in the past with shelving over doors. It's dead space, dry, secure.
Id also try almost anything else - do you know anyone with spare room in a house? There is no way I'd leave my records in my garage which is dry as a bone, I just wouldn't take the risk.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back