advertisement

Roe V Wade overturned?

The electoral college was intended to prevent dictatorship by a majority and to allow individual states to retain some of their individuality.

You say that as though the Electoral College was included in the Constitution by design. It wasn't, it was one of the compromises needed to get all the states to sign.

I think if I were a US citizen, I'd be in favour of some kind of partition to allow the progressive states to move ahead in the modern world and leave what would become a rump of largely economically deprived backward states to their own devices. With free immigration of course, to allow people to escape fascism. Of course, this would all fall at the who keeps the nukes hurdle.

There's not a clear borderline. The divide is really more rural vs urban.

No one should be in even the slightest doubt as to what the modern Republican party is. The UK Conservative Party is but a short step behind. They are already implementing Republican voter-suppression techniques and have been lining up their scapegoats for a very long time now. We are where we are and we need to fight it with everything we have access to IMO.

Having a weak opposition to these people just exacerbates the situation. After Trumps stunt of putting in Amy Coney Barret before he left and the Democrats inability or unwillingness to prosecute those who defy the constitution even in the slightest way.
I watched a clip recently of the prospective SC judges being asked specifically about Roe vs Wade and it looks like at least three have gone against what was said at their “interview”. They should have “liar” printed after their name in every news piece they are mentioned!
I watch three feeds on YouTube from American news and commentators who post daily and even they appear to have sleep walked into the current state of affairs. Maybe “sleepy Joe” has infected them and most of the country.
We have of course have a Government solely out for themselves and their mates. Pity that Bullingdon pigs head was devoid of teeth, maybe then these scum wouldn’t have balls to act as they do!

If this doesn't get the Democrat vote out then nothing will. All those sitting on their hands because Biden isn't what they would prefer or the "Democrats are no different" won't cut it.

I do believe that GOP overreach will drive a higher Dem turnout in November, but no idea if it will be enough to prevent losing control of the house and senate.

If the Dems lose the house this year, the GOP will have two years to form committees to frame Biden as the new Killery. In November 2015, demonization of her was enough to move independents to the right and keep young, left-leaning people at home. I would not be surprised if two more years of Fox News (and others on the alt-right and far left) constantly repeating “weak” or “sleepy” has the same effect on Biden’s re-election chances.

Weak will do just fine - I think sleepy is ageist where as weak refers to his lack of majority and the failure of the Democrats to control the Senate over a long period.

I do believe that GOP overreach will drive a higher Dem turnout in November, but no idea if it will be enough to prevent losing control of the house and senate.

If the Dems lose the house this year, the GOP will have two years to form committees to frame Biden as the new Killery. In November 2015, demonization of her was enough to move independents to the right and keep young, left-leaning people at home. I would not be surprised if two more years of Fox News (and others on the alt-right and far left) constantly repeating “weak” or “sleepy” has the same effect on Biden’s re-election chances.

Yes I see that, but those left leaning younger element must surely be mainly pro-choice no? Btw I'm not at all sure Biden will make it to 2024, what's the plan in those circumstances beyond KH? All that stuff about Clinton and Biden for that matter I get, but compared to what else is on offer - getting your arse out to vote for them in this situatiuon should be a no brainer.

Yes I see that, but those left leaning younger element must surely be mainly pro-choice no?

Generally speaking, yes. About 70% of young people are supportive of abortion rights.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/fact-sheet/public-opinion-on-abortion/

But a lot of them are not one issue voters, and I have no idea how many will vote Democratic solely to preserve women's rights. Being pissed off about income inequality, climate, pollution, and so on, will still likely keep the most ardent left wingers home. But hopefully enough will take a longer view of the situation, hold their noses, and vote with the Dems.

I thought the T***p vs Clinton decision was fairly clear, but millions moved away from her because of ridiculous claims (emails, pedophilia, etc.). The claims against Biden (son Hunter = crime family, too old and weak, etc.) will likely become even more outrageous. We have not see the last of the Qanon crap machine. My question is how many sane people on the left will continue supporting these alt-right lines of attack.

It's hard to get young people to turn out with any enthusiasm for some corrupt, multimillionaire, Democrat Senator who has no progressive credentials of any kind. We shouldn't be afraid of saying so or nothing will change.

Biden lacks nous.
He just isn't savvy. Don't think anyone in his posse is either

He may lack political cunning/treachery, if that is what you mean, but based on what he actually says he has real integrity. He was certainly prepared to pull no punches and call Trump exactly what he was, call out the Jan 6th coup attempt with the seething contempt it deserved, and, unlike just about every political leader on this planet, actually speak words of real support to the currently persecuted US black and LGBT+ communities.

Sure, a very elderly rich white man wouldn’t have been my choice for Democrat leader, but based purely on what comes out of his mouth he is worth at least 50 Starmers. He may look frail and stutter, but he is is either an eloquent and articulate speaker, or whoever writes his speeches is an exceptionally good speechwriter. Sadly in the UK Labour have neither. I’d swap the UK Labour Party for the Democratic Party in a heartbeat. Johnson’s pantomime posh-boy alt-right clown-troupe wouldn’t stand a hope in hell against an Obama, Sanders, Biden, Harris, AOC etc. Labour however always choose the fence.

It's hard to get young people to turn out with any enthusiasm for some corrupt, multimillionaire, Democrat Senator who has no progressive credentials of any kind. We shouldn't be afraid of saying so or nothing will change.

Really though? Even when they see what kind of "change" it opens the door to?

It would have been as daft as not voting for Corbyn when the opposition is Johnson just because you would prefer another leader. Faced with that choice it's not a hard decision and frankly, if left leaning people cannot get motivated to stop more of their already fragile rights being removed in the hope that it will somehow deliver a politician more to their taste - then they deserve what's coming.

Some reaction from Good Law Project regarding implications for the UK (Twitter).

PS I’m increasingly coming to the conclusion America is done. It probably needs another civil war to purge the fascists, religious bigots and white supremacists.

Don't forget the B.L.M.Zealots too!

Really though? Even when they see what kind of "change" it opens the door to?

It would have been as daft as not voting for Corbyn when the opposition is Johnson just because you would prefer another leader. Faced with that choice it's not a hard decision and frankly, if left leaning people cannot get motivated to stop more of their already fragile rights being removed in the hope that it will somehow deliver a politician more to their taste - then they deserve what's coming.

The Democrats are not on the left - don't make the mistake of comparing them with Labour. It's really like having to chose between Le Pen and say David Cameron - Hobson's choice - but hardly very inspiring.

The Democrats are not on the left - don't make the mistake of comparing them with Labour. It's really like having to chose between Le Pen and say David Cameron - Hobson's choice - but hardly very inspiring.

Gav, I get the uninspiring and I know full well where the Democrats are on the spectrum, but compared to a bunch of lunatic republicans hell bent of destroying any remaining democracy, it really isn't Hobson's choice. Not a great option I agree, but still a no brainer of a decision.

Some Democrats are to the left of some Labour MPs - and some are not.

Labour is funded by the TUs in the main while the Democrats are funded by the likes of Enron, Tobacco companies, Billlionaires, gangsters etc, etc even the gun lobby supports some of them. That's the fundamental difference. What was the Michael Moore film called documenting how they were all voting?

Labour is funder but the TUs in the main while the Democrats are funded by the likes of Enron, Tobacco companies, gangsters etc, etc. That's the fundamental difference. What was the Michael Moore film called documenting how they were all voting?

The Democrats get a significant amount of funding from small donors:
https://www.wbur.org/news/2019/04/17/actblue-democrats-somerville

They are also funded by unions.
https://www.opensecrets.org/politic...s/top-pacs/2022?filter=P&pac=A&party=D&type=C

advertisement

Back