advertisement

Today I am a small blue thing..

Any difference between belts with a non feedback speed controller will require adjustment. The range of adjustment from pulley tilt alone might not be enough.

If the linn ac motor was mounted with one hole and a small arc for the other bolt it'd be a none issue.
Both the mounting holes are elongated:-
Filename03_ec735027-c3f2-44eb-a944-9c0717eb7613_1024x1024@2x.jpg

It certainly shouldn’t need boiling;)

The Linn belt of course not! But the Blue belt is a new technology, a belt of different materials and the reason for it being tacky on latest delivery has been explained. That is not to say the Linn belt doesn't require adjustment - that's why Linn included an adjustment facility.

It's worth noting that Linn are a little unusual in offering the motor/speed adjustment. A lot of manufacturers don't. Rega turntables do not have any speed adjustment unless you use one of their outboard supplies and Ariston turntables, which were very similar to the Linn in many ways, had no pulley adjustment.

The Linn pulley is not a common design, it's a better idea than the take it or leave it pulley you usually get. It does lend itself to threads like this though! Nerdy paranoia over minuscule speed errors which will be inaudible in use.

"My record player is running 0.0004% slow, what should I do?"

Get a life mate, get a life.

People want to make fair comparisons, so eliminating confounding variables seems a sensible start.

Sure. That makes sense. But can you hear if your turntable is fractionally slow or fast? I've adjusted the speed on my deck many times, I really don't think I can. You might if you have prefect pitch, which most of us don't, but even then I don't think you could. The error is too small. It's just typical audiophile narcissism.

But my main point is that I think it's very naive to change a belt and expect the deck to run at exactly the same speed to within a fraction of a percent. You only need to look at how the deck works for two seconds to see that it's not going to happen.

Right now I'm pretty sure my deck will not be running at 33.3333-infinity but I'm also pretty sure I don't care.

Both the mounting holes are elongated:-
Filename03_ec735027-c3f2-44eb-a944-9c0717eb7613_1024x1024@2x.jpg
Thanks, for posting this.

I was wondering what to try next as I have similar results to SuzyWong, albeit with better wow and flutter with the blue belt. This is after boiling the blue belt twice and running the belt on and off for 10 hour periods during the week.

I will have a look at adjusting the motor position as it looks like a slight adjustment there, along with then resetting the pulley for the new motor position, could be the the next step to help to get it running at the right speed.

I agree with Mr Pig that as a sensitive mechanical system, any change is likely to need some speed adjustment on the pulley angle of attack to achieve the correct speed.

Folks - surely you shouldn’t have to start faffing with motor adjustments ? Shouldn’t the belt just work?

I’d like to try one as the Linn belt prices are a joke (even better if there’s a sound improvement). But I wouldn’t want to have to fiddle with motor positions or speed settings

I have a Lingo 4 - any users here who have tried the blue belt?

Folks - surely you shouldn’t have to start faffing with motor adjustments ? Shouldn’t the belt just work?

I’d like to try one as the Linn belt prices are a joke (even better if there’s a sound improvement). But I wouldn’t want to have to fiddle with motor positions or speed settings

I have a Lingo 4 - any users here who have tried the blue belt?

As Mr. Pig stated...
Replacing the LP12 belt with one made from a different material and not having to make adjustments with the means provided is simply fallacy. There is a clear perceived improvement in musical SQ and it's not insignificant. Anyhow it's not difficult to revert back to the standard Linn belt anyhow. But why would you want to after hearing the clear improvements of the Blue belt? My Blue belt is now consistently running 0.1 RPM slow, it is mechanically silent and my musical enjoyment is the best its ever been with my LP12.

Received my LP12 belt a couple of weeks ago (sorry Mike, I don’t think I let you know).

So, I have the important component.

Just need the deck. Collecting in a couple of weeks!

Well yes, they do just work but not without effecting the set-up of the deck a little. The LP12 is designed to work with a belt of certain dimensions and composition. By definition, a belt which gives different sonic results has to change something.

If the belt is grippier it might be slower off the pulley and sub-platter so slow the platter down. If it has a smaller diameter it will pull the platter over more changing the angle of attack on the pulley. These things might be very slight but they will alter the speed a little bit.

The belt thickness is a factor in how fast the platters will rotate. A thicker belt will run faster than a thinner belt. For many people this seems counter intuitive but approx half the thickness of a belt contributes to the effective ratio of the pulley and platter diameters which is why belt thickness influences speed.

My understanding is that tilting the pulley changes the tension of the belt which is also a contributing factor for the speed.

For decks like the AR XA talc was recommended for belts to make them more slippery. It is not desirable for belts to be too tacky or grippy because of the need to mitigate motor cogging. In the past Linn have recommended use of furniture polish for cleaning their belts and the general view is that the shinier side of the Linn belt should be on the inside for best playback.

My understanding is that tilting the pulley changes the tension of the belt which is also a contributing factor for the speed.

Not really. A tiny bit maybe but the platter is on springs so will just move with the pulley. Tilting the pulley alters which part of the pulley the belt runs on. You're altering the effective diameter of the pulley by making the belt run higher or lower on it and that's what changes the speed. It's actually quite a clever way to incorporate speed adjustment very cheaply.

This does highlight that linn have managed to make their belts with utter consistency over the years. On the 3 lp12 I've owned I never had to adjust speed for a new belt.

But they never sounded this good.

I bought my LP12 in 1981 and since then I guess I might have bought 4 or 5 belts and I had a Lingo 1 for 15 years before getting my present day Norton. Living where I do, I am my own Linn guru, no one else will get his mitts on it. Never in all these years have I worried about the speed nor indeed checked it, in fact before this thread I don’t remember any threads that even talked about the fact that it can be finely adjusted and I am a pretty assiduous visitor to this and other forums. Why worry about it if it goes round at 33.27rpm or at 33.1 ? I would be prepared to boil a blue belt to avoid stickiness how many times people deem necessary but I’m buggered if I’ll be up for checking the speed. We all readily accept that the human brain/lugs interface is capable of self correction to a not inconsiderable degree or maybe not all of us…… or maybe a brute of a transformer and a solitary cap are a better solution than people think.
P.S. I wonder how many times the absolute speed was checked on studio tape machines and factory pressing lathes in their lifetimes. A certain Miles Davis recording springs to mind….

I bought my LP12 in 1981 and since then I guess I might have bought 4 or 5 belts and I had a Lingo 1 for 15 years before getting my present day Norton. Living where I do, I am my own Linn guru, no one else will get his mitts on it. Never in all these years have I worried about the speed nor indeed checked it, in fact before this thread I don’t remember any threads that even talked about the fact that it can be finely adjusted and I am a pretty assiduous visitor to this and other forums. Why worry about it if it goes round at 33.27rpm or at 33.1 ? I would be prepared to boil a blue belt to avoid stickiness how many times people deem necessary but I’m buggered if I’ll be up for checking the speed. We all readily accept that the human brain/lugs interface is capable of self correction to a not inconsiderable degree or maybe not all of us…… or maybe a brute of a transformer and a solitary cap are a better solution than people think.
P.S. I wonder how many times the absolute speed was checked on studio tape machines and factory pressing lathes in their lifetimes. A certain Miles Davis recording springs to mind….

How much would I need to increase the rpm by, in order to play along with Jimi Hendrix tracks without de-tuning my own guitar by a half tone? ;)

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom